ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CNC thread

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250 Cup
Definitely gonna sound like a stupid question, but what’re you planning on measuring with it?

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
Definitely gonna sound like a stupid question, but what’re you planning on measuring with it?

Currently 95% cylindrical parts, profiles, radius’ etc until I take on work. Basically everything an optical comparator does, but with the benefit of being linked to a pc by default, which is perfect for my workflow.

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250 Cup
Currently 95% cylindrical parts, profiles, radius’ etc until I take on work. Basically everything an optical comparator does, but with the benefit of being linked to a pc by default, which is perfect for my workflow.
What sort of tolerances?

We have a load of Keyence equipment at work, and it’s ok, just not amazing.
Some things it does wicked, but others it just hasn’t the capability to see down to microns.
It’s crap at doing rads, but again, the stuff I’m measuring is like R0.5 and 0.003 max tolerance on diameters.

I think Mitutoyo should be a bit better. They’re ace at after care/support, and also have training shops which you can book in to.

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
What sort of tolerances?

We have a load of Keyence equipment at work, and it’s ok, just not amazing.
Some things it does wicked, but others it just hasn’t the capability to see down to microns.
It’s crap at doing rads, but again, the stuff I’m measuring is like R0.5 and 0.003 max tolerance on diameters.

I think Mitutoyo should be a bit better. They’re ace at after care/support, and also have training shops which you can book in to.

Its for reverse engineering so even at 0.01+- It would be fine as some non critical features are up to my own interpretation, but 0.005 would be ideal.

This is the spec of the model I'm looking at.

Screenshot 2024-04-27 135920.png

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
just stumbled across these, all UK made

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
just stumbled across these, all UK made

I think they should have a faster 20 taper spindle tbf

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Ahh do I or don't I?!

Great price, but I'd need to have a big move around in my workshop to make it fit

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
@Andy_con No idea what this is but could be fun with some modifications.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
@Andy_con No idea what this is but could be fun with some modifications.

the xy movement is even less than my current cnc and my current cnc doesnt have a lot of movement.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Been stripping down and putting back together bits inside of a Fives Landis LT2e over the past few days at work.
Been interesting to see how they work mechanically.
The Scale/Encoder on the Z Axis needed replacing so was a bit of a task getting to it

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Its for reverse engineering so even at 0.01+- It would be fine as some non critical features are up to my own interpretation, but 0.005 would be ideal.

This is the spec of the model I'm looking at.

View attachment 1690052
Check out Vision Engineering too, they are in the UK and sometimes their kit goes for cheap on ebay because its not such a well known company. Their stuff is supposed to be very good and they aren't based a million miles away from you.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
View attachment 1690943
The picture didnt show until I quoted. :unsure:

Looks like a cool little mill! Do you program it via the controller or offline?
No, mine has been converted to run off mach3. So ethernet cable into laptop with mach3 installed.

When time allows I want to upgrade the spindle motor and mod the atc. I'm pretty sure I can get it to hold more tools

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
Check out Vision Engineering too, they are in the UK and sometimes their kit goes for cheap on ebay because its not such a well known company. Their stuff is supposed to be very good and they aren't based a million miles away from you.

I'm selling the machines, clio for parts and giving up the unit. Its just too far and not insulated, seeing the machines sweat and rust is miserable when I worked hard to clean them up to begin with :(. I'm doing what I can at home for now, I just bought a 220cm oak desk so I can comfortably lay out parts for reverse engineering and hopefully have a vmm on the end.