ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cold air feed on a forced air induction kit

172 Flamer
Hi,

I have a Viper induction kit & was wondering if anyone knows / has experimented with the following: - if you mount the cold air feed off of a front fog light cavity (by removing the actual light) does the induction kit suck up flies, dirt & water into the actual filter or is it pretty safe to do?

Scooby STi, FiestaST
carbon copy has the intake there iirc and a few others... maybe try to pm him..
or maybe search for cold air feed...

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z
I ran it to the foglight....when i cleaned the viper i found small bits of tarmac and a fly, no big deal really and yes its safe

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Works fine for me.

Just make sure you get some ducting with some backbone, otherwise it compresses in the vacuum when you open the throttle...giving you LESS power.

clean my filter out most weekends, never seems to collect anything that can cause damage.

57a77ad9.jpg

180590c1.jpg

i have the same setup as you and was wondering how you mounted the end into the fog light mount, what have you used to secure it?

Viper-Kit-004.jpg

plus to stop bits ive put flyscreen mesh just behind the bell tip

BMW E46 330i Touring
I'm the same, haven't cleaned it yet admittedly but the previous owner aid there wasn't a big problem...

front.gif

The risk of fitting mesh is that, if you're using a tight enough mesh that's going to stop flies, etc getting through, you're also interrupting the air flow...

182 Full Fat
carbon copy said:
Works fine for me.

Just make sure you get some ducting with some backbone, otherwise it compresses in the vacuum when you open the throttle...giving you LESS power.

clean my filter out most weekends, never seems to collect anything that can cause damage.

57a77ad9.jpg

180590c1.jpg

Carbon copy: Where did you get your piping/ducting from. Im looking at getting some stronger tubing for my induction kit and if possible with larger diameter

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I have some ducting that my dad used for his extractor fans at home.
dual core ducting it's called, it's like steel!

As for the mesh on the inlet trumpet, as long as you pick a fine mesh with a high open area, passage of air should be fairly unrestricted. 50-60% open should be fine.

Although, i haven't bothered. And i never have any trouble.

Chris

182 Full Fat
carbon copy said:
I have some ducting that my dad used for his extractor fans at home.
dual core ducting it's called, it's like steel!

As for the mesh on the inlet trumpet, as long as you pick a fine mesh with a high open area, passage of air should be fairly unrestricted. 50-60% open should be fine.

Although, i haven't bothered. And i never have any trouble.

Chris

I thought about the extractor fan tubing idea? I guess this is sold in B&G or something. Looked in my local Fous store, but now joy the other week

BMW 320d Sport
Foglight hole is fine for induction. As the filter is 'uphill' from there, there's no great danger of anything heavy getting up there - there's not as much pressure in that pipe as you might think. Flies are not a problem, stones are. If you're going to mesh it, don't bother with fine stuff to keep out dirt/flies etc, all it'll do is clog up, get dirty and look shabby, plus undo all the effort of actually getting a decent air feed to the filter anyway. Go for big, widely spaced strong mesh that could actually take a large stone or bird hit without breaking. That will present no restriction to the air but keep out anything that could actually puncture the pipework or filter itself.

BMW 320d Sport
LOL cheers. Over the years I've tried every single induction mod that was ever thought of, and some that weren't, so I've got a pretty good idea of what works, what fits, what's a waste of time etc.