ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Confused!!! No play in front wheels still getting a "clunk"?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Yeah I guess I'll go by two tech's one evening. :(

It doesn't feel "bad" its just irritating knowing something isn't right, and makes me not want to drive it how it's supposed to be driven.

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
But the little things will turn into big things if its not sorted!

I've got loads of ph1 bits lying about so if you need anything just ask. Cover my postage and you can have anything for nowt.

(This only applies to rob!! So nobody else pm me!!)

PH1 172 Sport
Inner track rod ends was what was causing my clunk.

By doing the usual 3 o'clock 9 o'clock wheel play test It was very hard to tell if they were worn.

You need to get someone under the car with there hand on the joint as you wiggle the wheel to see if they can feel any movement. OR take the outer end of of the hub and then pull and push it.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
But the little things will turn into big things if its not sorted!

I've got loads of ph1 bits lying about so if you need anything just ask. Cover my postage and you can have anything for nowt.

(This only applies to rob!! So nobody else pm me!!)

Cheers Dan, just found the MOT - Ball joint was an advisory, so I'm going to change that this week before taking it somewhere (seeing as they only cost £12 it seems silly not to. Me and Mike did give it a good check, but obviously not good enough.

Bushes are also on that list, so if the balljoint changes nout, I'll buy some of those (uprated jobbies from ktec or something), if that fails it'll definately be going to the garage.

I'll take those top mounts once you've got yours sorted (as these things seem awful) and if I discover anything else broken, I'll drop you a text or something to see what's ya's got's. ;)

Inner track rod ends was what was causing my clunk.

By doing the usual 3 o'clock 9 o'clock wheel play test It was very hard to tell if they were worn.

You need to get someone under the car with there hand on the joint as you wiggle the wheel to see if they can feel any movement. OR take the outer end of of the hub and then pull and push it.

How much did it cost you to replace them mate? Mike and I will hopefully have a bloody good go at sorting it this week.

PH1 172 Sport
I did it myself so it only cost parts which come to around £50 for both the inners and outers for both sides.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
UPDATE

Ok so we found the offending balljoint, (it was quite bad, not sure how we didn't notice it) changed it, still clunking! FUCKER!!!!

I think now think it may be top mount, as it can be made to do it if you reverse, brake, go forward, brake, reverse brake.... etc....

I have comp brake items, which I hear aren't great?

Track rod ends will be next if that fails, I'll have a s**t load of new parts on it at this rate!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Indeed it is, garage had a look at it when they changed my drivers shaft for me (around 5 weeks ago) also, a dogbone mount wouldn't make the steering wheel jerk would it?