ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cost of ownership update - £8,000 and 17,000 miles

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Increased miles have seen the average monthly cost and pence per mile reduce, but there's no getting away from the painful cost of fuel and depreciation.

Depreciation has continued at £5/day...valuing it today at £8,490...which is fair I think.

The recent day at Llandow came and went without issue (I avoided the kerbs this time) but have since swapped the Yokohama AD08s front to rear to even out the wear (thanks Chip ;) ).

The AD08s I've found to be very good as a day to day road tyre; the ride is far more fidgety from the stiffer sidewalls and there's a bit of a drone from them at times on certain surfaces but apart from that they've worn well considering they're a softer compound track tyre.

It looks like 10k may be possible from a set which considering that's exactly what Michelin PE2s gave me is a major surprise. I've tracked how they've worn since I fitted them (5,000 miles including two trackdays) but no fancy graphs;

F 7.5mm, R 7.5mm - 0 miles
F 6.7mm, R 7.3mm - 1,686 miles - pre Bedford
F 6.0mm, R 7.1mm - 2,110 miles - after a very hot dry Bedford
F 5.0mm, R 6.8mm - 4,381 miles - pre Llandow
F 4.5mm, R 6.5mm - 4,868 miles - after monsoon conditions at Llandow

As for their ability to deal with standing water? They cope admirably with just about anything unless you're full throttle and doing over 50mph while trying to turn...

Now for the data;

Slide1-5.jpg

Slide5-2.jpg

Slide4-2.jpg

Slide2-5.jpg

Slide3-3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
not bein rude but you must have a very boring life . . . . . wtf!!!!

This TBH.

I assume the OP is an accountant, or something along those lines. As if I could be fucked counting up what I had spent on fuel etc

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Yeah he has a well boring life doing all these track days....

I like info like this, scary how much it actually costs.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Makes me feel sick.

What a hideous amount of money to waste on a car. And I spend more than Mark!!

ffs.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It is a frightening amount of money to own a relatively cheap car.

50p a mile is way more than most people would expect to be spending I would imagine.

As always, thanks for sharing, I seriously couldnt be bothered to do similar, so its good that someone can :)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
not bein rude but you must have a very boring life . . . . . wtf!!!!

This TBH.

I assume the OP is an accountant, or something along those lines. As if I could be f**ked counting up what I had spent on fuel etc

Yup, accountant by trade.

Boring life? Nope. A simple Android app...10 seconds after each fill up is what it takes to enter mileage, litres, cost. That's it. Then the figures find their way into a spreadsheet which does all of the above. Any ad hoc costs get entered also...takes 10 seconds each time I buy something, which is quite rare tbh.

So it takes next to no time at all to do, but the benefit in doing it is HUGE in terms of understanding where your costs are and where you could, in theory, save some money (walk or get the bus basically!).

clio 182 sport
Yup, accountant by trade.

Boring life? Nope. A simple Android app...10 seconds after each fill up is what it takes to enter mileage, litres, cost. That's it. Then the figures find their way into a spreadsheet which does all of the above. Any ad hoc costs get entered also...takes 10 seconds each time I buy something, which is quite rare tbh.

So it takes next to no time at all to do, but the benefit in doing it is HUGE in terms of understanding where your costs are and where you could, in theory, save some money (walk or get the bus basically!).

Each to there own. But i would never do something like this cant bebotherd, dont see the point in doing it, what have you gained from doing it lol working out how much it costs to run isnt going to make it cheaper to run, if im going on a short journey i never drive my clio becuase it isnt good for the car, and if your that botherd about saving money get a cheap crappy 106 diesel :/ just my opinion :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Each to there own. But i would never do something like this cant bebotherd, dont see the point in doing it, what have you gained from doing it lol working out how much it costs to run isnt going to make it cheaper to run, if im going on a short journey i never drive my clio becuase it isnt good for the car, and if your that botherd about saving money get a cheap crappy 106 diesel :/ just my opinion :)

Hes gaining more in terms of knowledge about where his money is going by wasting his time doing this than you are gaining by wasting your time replying to a thread which apparently doesn't interest you.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
I think its helpful, a good eye opener as I bet most wouldn't think it costs that much.

Would hate to see the amount I spend on fuel, bet its much more than that :(

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
lalalalallalalalalalalalalala I'm not listening you cant make me read those figures and s**t myself blind when I realise just how much money I piss away!

I have a similar thing but I use it to track all my finances, not just my car.

Takes 10 minutes tops at the end of the month to go through my online bank statement and add it all into the spreadsheet.

Helps me to budget for what I'm spending and when. No wonder the country is in such a mess if people aren't keeping track of what they spend.

FiestaST(ex 172 Cup)
No matter how bad it looks there, these are still cheap cars to run compared to some. That's why I don't think about it too much, I kind of know in my head if I've spent too much on the car in a month. At least it's not a 12 plate Audi with finance at £300/month. I see it like that; imagine all these costs plus the finance some people pay!

But really Mark is spending quite a lot here, definitely a lot more than me anyway. It looks to be about 25000 miles a year, much higher depreciation, more spent on tyres per year than I would, more spent on repairs than I would in at least 2 years and pretty much everything on that list is high spend. I do have a simple google doc I use keep note of things I've bought for the car, and links to things I want to buy.

I used to do the whole shebang with recording everything I spent on a spreadsheet, but I found I could just bung X amount of money in the ISA every month after getting paid, and then making do on what's left.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Useful info as ever Mark - i do something very similar on Pistonheads. As ever though, depreciation is the factor that people forget - for reference, with its lack of depreciation at the mo, the R32 is circa 35p a mile iirc.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
LOL, because doing trackdays makes you a boss at life?

Interesting read, but as said, ignorance is bliss.

He has a nice mrs who keeps is shape playing netball, he does lots of trackdays, he drives a nice car, he has a job he enjoys and clearly pays quite well etc, TBH if thats a boring life, sign me up for one too, lol

used to get slated years ago as we used to always track costs on the race cars etc , and not counting things like depreciation , a simple track day 6 or 7 years ago was costing about £500 a day when you worked it all out.

Most people who race will have an idea of what the costs are else its pretty much impossible to work out a budget .

top work sir .

Fiesta ST-2 Finsport
Maybe I'm getting old but people on here are proper rude! Lol I you don't like what your reading don't read it!! Interesting read, as said ignorance is bliss, and you could be running something a lot worse, I.e something old with boost=money pitt!!P.s-markcup-is this the mark who had the 172 cup, and now u got a 197??
Chris

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
He has a nice mrs who keeps is shape playing netball, he does lots of trackdays, he drives a nice car, he has a job he enjoys and clearly pays quite well etc, TBH if thats a boring life, sign me up for one too, lol

And where did I say he had a boring life? I was referring to the comment on trackdays, and that the majority on here seem to think that the people who do them are some sort of heroes.

Like I said it makes for interesting reading, but it isn't something I could bring myself to do.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Wasnt you that specifically said boring, was someone else, but was just replying to you as you were the last one discussing it.
Apologies for any implications you felt that was making, it wasnt.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Maybe I'm getting old but people on here are proper rude! Lol I you don't like what your reading don't read it!! Interesting read, as said ignorance is bliss, and you could be running something a lot worse, I.e something old with boost=money pitt!!P.s-markcup-is this the mark who had the 172 cup, and now u got a 197??
Chris

Yep

Jesus, so when you discount depreciation (as you don't actually spend money on that) you've essentially spent £650 a month on it! I didn't realise just how much of a money pit these things are.

n2x

e60/f10
Everyone saying ignorance is a bliss need some education about financial management. Takes only 10 seconds every once in a while and he can cut back on a trackday or two/cleaning the car himself/repairing the easier things himself and can save up money for a new car or a new tv or mortgage downpayment and not wonder why all his credit cards are maxxed. I for one, see it as an easy opportunity to save some extra cash.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
I thought I'd start doing this. So the spreadsheet was created in my dinner and i began input the necessary info.

Got to morrisons to fill up and all was going well. I drove away with the passenger window down and out flew the receipt!

Ffs.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Jesus, so when you discount depreciation (as you don't actually spend money on that) you've essentially spent £650 a month on it! I didn't realise just how much of a money pit these things are.

my 200 in the 9 months i kept it cost me £1400 a month when factoring in depreciation.