ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Craig's Track 172cup

Van
I found myself here on CS.net whilst searching for a model which could be used on track on a relatively low budget. There seemed to be a wealth of knowledge and a well proven reputation for the Clio RS, so I did a little research then went out and bought a 172cup.

Its a 69k - 6 owner gem with a dent on every panel, and it would be fair to say that it's been a little neglected just recently, but that suited me just fine as it was local, fairly priced and perfect for what I wanted it for.

IMG_8884_zpsa2ae9ea7.jpg

So, I got it home then went out the next evening and bought a Sabelt Seat and Harness for it, stripped it out, fitted the seat and welded in a harness bar.

image_zps720a62cc.jpg

Had to get a more focused steering wheel and boss for it, so in the spirit of the car opted for a cheaper one than I normally would, which actually turned out to be very nice.

IMG_9300_zpsa9cb5388.jpg

Oh, Seat is out of an EX works C2 so has Citroen branding, but again not something that bothers me. Although I do sometimes accidently now refer to it as a Saxo :S

IMG_9303_zps59d16fde.jpg

IMG_9307_zpsb7fdddb5.jpg

IMG_9306_zpsd01616b8.jpg

Started to do some servicing as there was an almighty clunk underneath on its test drive. I was quite happy that it wasn't serious so just mentioned it when haggling, and it turned out to be inner and outer track rods/ends.

Made up a tool and swapped them over

IMG_9293_zpsecaa2f5e.jpg

(Cup ones are dealer only but found some Kangoo ones which were the same and stocked at Motor-Factor)

IMG_9289_zps558885b0.jpg

Whilst I was under there I noticed it had a full 2.5" K-tech stealth exhaust, Goodridge braided lines and a powerflex'd rear gearbox mount which was all a nice bonus as it wasn't advertised.

IMG_9294_zpse1bf4992.jpg

image_zpsab9d4512.jpg

Then turned the attention to wheels and tyres. The 16" Turini's had to go, and I got lucky with a PH1 Exclusive in a breakers yard so nabbed the BBS
7j x 15's off it and fitted some part worn 888's for a dry set.

image_zps1f475914.jpg

Then bought a set of 6j x 15 Sparco Cromodora's with T1R's which Il use as wets just for now, although I shall swap them for Rainsport's as soon as possible.

_57_zps01b30a4a.jpg

I fitted the Sparco's this morning for a few pics, but one will need to come off again as randomly there are 3 lefts and only 1 right :S

IMG_9308_zpsdbec9f1c.jpg

IMG_9309_zps27a898fc.jpg

IMG_9311_zps4e86842c.jpg

And that's it for now. I have Castle Combe booked for a full day this Friday and ideally I would like to get the ride height sorted by then, but if not at least Il have a comparison for next time its out. The CookSport springs are out of stock so not holding out any hopes to be honest, although they are local so if I can collect some Il be very happy.

Laguna splitter will be going in the bin but Il still replace it, just with something a little more subtle.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Great start, sounds like mine when I got it with a dent on just about every panel lmao
Hareness should be crossed at the rear to the bar as it's more than 18" from the seat back btw.

Van
Sorted the belts, Just need some padding to separate them properly.

image_zps292afc4c.jpg

Then as the sun was shining I fitted up the Whiteline anti-roll bar which I bought last week.

image_zps6865b821.jpg

Brakes are getting an overhaul this week, as long as everything arrives on time so shall update when its all together.

Van
So, Had an eventful last few days, all in preparation for its debut on Friday and pleased to say it at least made it there.

First up was the front brakes as they looked pretty shot. They still worked, but only having the yard to test drive it in thought I might aswell replace them all. so after a bit of reading opted for the CL RC6 on the front with Brembo HC discs.

image_zps4d3044ad.jpg

image_zps650468ff.jpg

Fronts went well with no issues, so moved onto the rears which I chose Brembo disc's and pads for with the bearings already pressed in.

image_zps8d5b41a0.jpg

N/S was stuck solid as the shim hadn't been fitted, but nothing a big puller didn't sort out.

image_zps8e39c098.jpg

Then thought the exhaust mounts were looking a bit ropey so swapped those too. Got a genuine one for the centre, then on good advice used some cut down Powerflex universals for the rear mount with some PU sealent.

9565d72d-0b16-446c-84e3-5ca5ba4b2eae_zpsda49e7c2.jpg

image_zpsd9f3487d.jpg

Bleeding the new brake fluid through didn't quite go to plan, as the O/S/R just had no fluid atall. It possibly hasn't had any for quite some time either so how it passed any sort of MOT in April Christ knows. Straight onto the phone and had it diagnosed within minutes (Thanks Chip), so had the Bias valve / box off for a good clean out.

image_zpsfcc5609a.jpg

Put it all back together and Bingo.

One more issue was that just by not even an inch it was too wide for the trailer, something which I had known for weeks, but I knew I had some 5.5j ET49 wheels which I was confident would work, so cut the centres out and used those just to load it.

image_zps94587d93.jpg

Got to Castle Combe at about 7:30 and had a really good morning. The track was greasy to start off, with standing water by the pit lane entrance, so I went out on the Toyo T1r's that came free on the sparco wheels. That was a mistake as they were dire, so I came in and swapped to some half worn 888's on the 7j Exclusive wheels.

image_zps817ba807.jpg

Had an absolute riot for a few sessions, Handling was ace and the brakes something else, plenty of power for now and was way faster than the things it really shouldn't have been.

All good things as they say though, have to come to an end. Suffered a major failure just before lunch which put paid to the day. A gearbox mount failed, which I think had a detrimental effect on the O/S driveshaft, but I'm yet to properly diagnose it, possibly the diff itself.. who knows. Still good fun though.

I will mend it this year, but we are putting my other track car back together in a fortnight, (which this Clio was bought to temporarily replace) so will hopefully get it mapped and take that out before the really bad weather sets in. Its tempting to spend my time on this Clio with a few tweaks, but don't want to get carried away with it as it's designed to be cheap fun.

Thanks for reading

Last edited:
  Van
Ha, I read it completely wrong. And yes it should never have been on the road.

Its a standard mount which split yes. I have hurt my back at the moment so can't properly investigate until I'm better.