ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup - Engine failure

I have been hearing a rattling sound everytime i acclererated for a few weeks and then this........

Was driving to work yesterday, then i hear a crunch and a bang then my engine just stopped and all the dash lights came on!

It wouldnt start again! Phoned the AA for help, still no luck, he tried to start it by pumping the gas ( bad idea i thought), and then bang and crunch ,a horrible nosie! he said thats not going anywhere. (U dnt say).

Neway its now in renault and they say they have to take the engine to bits to find out what happened, but preliminary thoughts are that 1 or more valves or spark plugs have fallen in the Cylined head and made a mess! Dunno how long its gonna be KO for but i dnt think its gud news!

ne1 eles had this type of engine failure? Its only 18 mths old with 18k miles and never had any problems b4! Hope my warrenty covers this!!!

Sorry to hear that Klang :( Not what you want to hear but its hard to believe all these stories about problems exp with cups, 172s etc.. My 16v is 10yrs old and in the last 3yrs of ownship the only problem ive had is faulty power steering pump & clocked just over 100,000 *hard driven* miles! (on a 2.0 willy lump mind ;) At 18k thats worrying.. Really hope things are sorted for you soon!

Been hearing alot of worrying stories about cups recently... hope you get it sorted with little expense!

Ford Fiesta

Quote: Originally posted by Klang1.6 on 29 April 2005

i think he did more damage!

whats a fly by wire- know it has one- not sure what it is.

it uses electrical signal whan you press the pedal, no point in starting with pedal down to floor, not putting any more fuel in at all.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

My Cup popped a spark plug from the clinider head. Needed the head re-coiling. Big job, renault price £1,600.

Good luck.

Bad news fella.

Our cup has got 18k on the clock & nothing has gone wrong in 17months of motoring (including 4 trackdays), i guess it was just a bad one.

Hope you get it sorted though.

surely Reno should write the engine off and just put new one in. It looks better on the history having the engine replaced under warranty then them rebuilding it... afterall, Reno are fecking useless and I wouldnt trust them to top the oil up on my car let alone rebuild the engine! lol

Quote: Originally posted by TheJesus on 29 April 2005

surely Reno should write the engine off and just put new one in. It looks better on the history having the engine replaced under warranty then them rebuilding it... afterall, Reno are fecking useless and I wouldnt trust them to top the oil up on my car let alone rebuild the engine! lol
lol

agreed tho, would be more cost effective to replace the lump i would have thought.

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

I know how u feel mate...... i have had 17 problems in 7 months, and mines on 18k

Makes u wonder aye! Have u owned it from new???

DC5

Sounds like similar syptoms to a problem I had with mine, a rattle when accelerating, and then a big bang. My engine didnt cut out though. Just sounded like a tractor the next day. Turns out the manifold had split. They did replace it under warranty. Said it would be returned the same day as going in. A week and a half later I got it back, dirty, and no apology for it taking so long.

Quote: Originally posted by brian182 on 29 April 2005
renault should cover it under warenty as long as there is full service history at renault dealers

That’s BS, as long as it has a full service history from a VAT registered garage that have used genuine Renault parts.

Nasty !

One thing I would say though is that if that were my car and it had starting making a noise like that I would definitely NOT have carried on driving it round for weeks. Having said that there is no reason an engine ought to be failing like that at such a young age/low mileage. Hope it gets sorted out quickly and without too much pain on your wallet.

i had it booked in for tuesday to get em to see to it.

the funni thing is 2 weeks ago i broke down cos my fan belt snapped!

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

ouch! sounds nasty but i would have thought it would have been covered...

Spec C 12.5@110 (345/355)

I agree with Boss, should have got it checked out when the engine started rattling. Whatever you do dont tell Renault you ignored it, theyll do anything to get out of a warranty claim!!

2001 172,VW Touran

we had a 2002 172 in at work the other day.Renault supplied new engine after cam belt jumped annd wrecked head

So the rattling noise happened just after the fanbelt Snapped?

Cos it if that is the case then there is a good chance that the cam cover and/or cambelt was damaged when the Accessory belt snapped.. A common problem unfortunately..

Should be covered under warranty, and a Reconditioned engine should be fitted.. (Not a brand new engine but a factory rebuild)

172 cup'd extreme

Happened to me the aux belt shreaded and went into the cambelt made it jump but no bent valves

same happened to me treid to put my food down then bang on went all the lights and no power. cam belt had snapped and ripped apart the engine. renault took it away it was under warrenty fixed in a week. mine had only done 20k

2001 172,VW Touran

Quote: Originally posted by riccycup on 02 May 2005

same happened to me treid to put my food down then bang on went all the lights and no power. cam belt had snapped and ripped apart the engine. renault took it away it was under warrenty fixed in a week. mine had only done 20k
did you spill any of your food when you tried to put it down.lol

Update: its what they thought - a valve has fell and got wedged into the piston and got stuck and wrecked everything! so its a new engine job!!!!!not pleased!

So if it is reconditioned will it be ok and not Cr*p?