ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup Spoiler/Suspension or Not

Clio 197

Hi guys,

Getting a new 182 soon. I got a phone call saying the car I wanted now isnt available (barsutards):

Original Spec: 182 Arctic, Cup Spoiler and Suspension pack.

There is another 182 available, with neither pack on it...

New Spec: 182 Arctic, full stop.

Has anyone one here driven Both 182 Cup and Normal 182 - Big difference or not? (PS I do huge miles).

Also, personally I think the car should have the spoiler pack - would I have trouble selling if it didnt have the spoiler pack?

Ta, Oms.

i would say youll regret it if you dont get the cup suspension. The spoilers is easily sorted later, i prefer the look of the cup pack spoilers to standard but its the suspension id be most concerned about.

I drove cars with and without the suspension and found the cup packs were too hard for bumpy B roads - you would notice a difference on the track but thats not what these cars are designed for. The normal suspension is just fine and will probably mean the renault rattles are delayed a bit!!

Clio 197

(I agree with Loony that I might regret it, therefore Im asking for the Cliosport Opinion)...

The 3mm difference isnt true is it? It looks like a lot more than 3mm IMO.

My last 182 rattled a lot less than my megane.... I guess theres less to rattle in the clio...

its not just an issue of height and firmness of dampers the geometry is different so although you may feel its firmer i would imagine the turn in will be alot more crisp and steering alot more responsive. Having said that i havnt driven a non cupd 182 to compare. I think the very fact that its fairly uncommon to have a car without cup packs on it here speaks for its self. with no disrespect to you Piers it isnt too bumpy for B roads.

i personally think the 182s without the cup packs will be much harder to sell privatly in the future. So wait a while longer and get the 182 with cup packs. But in reality on British roads i cant see the cup suspension making any noticable difference, maybe none cup might be a bit more comfortable.

Clio 197

I was thinking along the lines of RoninV6, the 182 is a car for keen drivers after all... well put!

The megane is comfy and fast, but very sloppy compared my old 182 without cup pack.

I think Cupped cars look a hell of a lot better, and TBH, this is where my lack of commitment to a non cupped clio comes from.

Interestingly enough, the 182 is about 20% stiffer than the standard 172, am I right? So obviously, they wanted to sharpen up the original car anyways...

Does anyone know of any reviews of the non-cupped 182?

i have driven a 172 with standard suspension and 182 with CUP suspension and a 172 with coilovers.

The coilovers were MINT (make your car soooooooooo much faster;)) a little bumpy but worth it for the driving experience (best £500 i have spent)

The 172 standard felt likt a barge

The 182 CUPd up feels like a barge but only about 50% as bad as the standard 172. I had been driving the 172 on coilovers for 6 months before i jumped straight in the 182 thou so that could have something to do with it.

I WILL be buying coilovers for the 182 along with a few others on here as soon as they are out.

P

peterh2

I have a non-cupped 182 and have been very impressed with the handling. I find the suspension very firm so god knows how firm it would be with the cup pack!

P

peterh2

I must try to get mine down to the next track day you all do to compare the times of cupped vs non cupped

Clio 197

I really wish they didnt do this to me, I would have had my car tomorrow....

.... I bet theyve sold it to someone else!!!

[Grammar Edited by omar on 16 December 2004 at 6:14pm]

Remapped derv Golf

Think a Cupped 182 will hold its valve a bit better because people buying second hand will look out of that option. EVO reckon the Cup pack is a must-have and Renault should have fitted it standard.

imo.

Remapped derv Golf

Quote: Originally posted by peterh2 on 16 December 2004

EVO say its a must have without driving the standard one however.
True, but it is Evo (all about performance and nothing else)

I know id perfer I normal 172 instead of my 172 Cup round here (Croydon - Pothole City). The Cup is too hard for this area.

Stuff the handling!

Clio 197

I think the dealers going to get the worst phone call of his life tomorrow:

"Sorry, but the deals off"

.... something like that anyway...

Ive only ever driven the Cupd 182, and i do approx 400 miles a week in it.

I live in Wales, so im on all kinds of roads, Motorways, A roads and B roads. I dont find the ride harsh at all. And i wouldnt have considered buying the 182 without the cup pack.

I also think that the Cup spolier pack finishes the car off. The back, and side view of the car looks so much better with the Cup spoiler imo. But as already said, the Cup spolier can be added on afterwards.

I drove both before buying a 182

To be honest i didnt find a great deal of difference between the two - cupped one was better for me as it felt a little stiffer (the ride hardly being comprimised either)

Needless to say i bought a 182 with cup suspension and no regrets...

As far as the looks, the ride and reselling the car, I would wait for cup packs...

Mine, with my non renault cup suspension pack!!!!!

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1093291084__100_0324.jpg

Just thought I would throw the option into the mix! I found the original non cup suspension to be sharp but the looks were monster truck proportions which IMO the Cup pack doesnt go a long way to fix which is why I went down the above route! Can fully appreciate the resale value argument though. I just know I will end up getting screwed in a P/X deal anyway so what the hell!!!

Mike

106 GTi

When ordering my car i was in two minds weather to go for the spoiler packs but did in the end.

The suspension pack was always on my want list, but do think the silver wheels look good on some colours.

Black Gold 182

I have cup spoiler pack but no suspension pack on mine, based purely on the fact that I didnt like the anthracite alloys when the 182 came out. However, as time has gone on, seen them in the flesh etc I do think on most colours they look quite ok.

I have now driven both and as for driving with non cupped suspension, I find the handling very good as it is - the roads I typically use wouldnt enable any real difference to be noticed between the two. However, I do often find myself thinking maybe I should have had it just to make the car complete and not really for any other reason.

[Edited by Nickyboy on 16 December 2004 at 8:02pm]

Astra VXR 17/05/07

I went for spoiler pack and standard suspension.

No regrets at all.Its interesting to read that people who have actually been out in both cars dont seem to think the difference is as great as people believe who have the suspension but havnt driven a standard.Likewise i have not driven a cup suspension 182 so i cant comment on the difference from my experience.I bet the mags would still rave about the 182 if they were given a standard to test.

My opinion though is that as standard its superb,and i live out in the country and most of my driving is b roads.If i intended to use my car on a track or drive like the stig everywhere everytime i use the car then maybe a cup pack but i dont intend going on a track so im still more than happy.

As for looks i still cant stand the cup wheels.This time of the year everybodies wheels are that grey and dirty it looks like everyone has cup wheels,i dont like the look im afraid.I agree the spoiler makes the car better to look at.

As for resale values,not bothered because i bought the car for me and not what i get second hand.

If i was buying again tomorrow id again go for spoiler and standard suspension.The only difference for me would be Arctic blue again or inferno !

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by Piers on 16 December 2004
I drove cars with and without the suspension and found the cup packs were too hard for bumpy B roads - you would notice a difference on the track but thats not what these cars are designed for. The normal suspension is just fine and will probably mean the renault rattles are delayed a bit!!

I dont really agree with that, the 182 was born to be hammered around a track and many people on here have enjoyed that experience, including me who is now hooked thanks to this fantastic motor (and me uncle Y0zer!)

Clio 197

Ok guys, many thanks for your input...

Looks like I will go for Non Cup Suspension.

I am worried that at 3000 miles a month, I will regret the cup suspension.

Many thanks again.

Little Oms.

Jesus, cup pack for people who use car on track only ? what utter b****cks. You wouldnt be able to use proper track suspension on the road as its far too hard, the only difference is going to be that the cup pack gives a more focused drive. Lets face it just because there are a fair few here that track their cars doesnt mean most owners will. It will be a purely cosmetic choice for alot of owners. We on here are enthusiasts hence people taking part in track days, the average bloke on the street who buys a 182 because he likes the look spec performance or VFM the car offers will not be thinking "oooo whats the best suspension to fit if i track day" or "i better not buy that because ill only use it on the road".

Id not go for a Clio 182 if I were doing 3k month forget it.

Fabia VRS or Seat Ibiza TDi or Golf for £10k+ will save ~£115 a month on fuel and be a much better motorway drive.

Clio 197

Ive thought of that myself....

... but they pay 12ppm petrol and 9ppm for diesel (subtract 2p if under 1.6).

So, as long as Ive not got a thirsty turbo costing 15ppm, then Im quids in either way!

PS It looks like itll be a titanium 182 edde, fingers crossed...

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by omar on 16 December 2004
Ok guys, many thanks for your input...Looks like I will go for Non Cup Suspension.I am worried that at 3000 miles a month, I will regret the cup suspension.Many thanks again.Little Oms.

you will regret it, the cup suspension is by no means hard with normal driving!

The problem with the 225 is that the suspension is not focussed enough, the normal 182 will be like that, gotta have the cup pack, just gotta!

Its all personal choice i suppose.
One thing i do know is that even without cup suspension i will never find the limits of the car, as my own limits will be met first.
Also, i do lots of motorway miles and didnt want anything too harsh.
Could have waited another 4 weeks for car with cup pack but decided not to bother.
Plus all this talk of standard wheels looking ok with some colours, they only do 7, colours that is, and 2 of those cost over 1k, far more choice on standard clios.

Quote: Originally posted by omar on 16 December 2004

... but they pay 12ppm petrol and 9ppm for diesel (subtract 2p if under 1.6).
PS It looks like itll be a titanium 182 edde, fingers crossed...
Just one last thing a diesel doing 55mpg vs petrol doing 35mpg saves about 3.8p/mile so although you get 3p less a mile youll achually save 0.8p/mile not a huge sum but at 3k/month thats £288/yr.

Stil a Titanium 182 is a very nice car to drive round in.

How long do you intend keeping the car? Youll kill the warently in just 2 yrs by wheich time the car wont be worth a fortune will you just keep it till 100k and sell it for very little?

7.6cc :D

Grrrrrr, Omar stop letting other people influence you! If you originally ordered both the packs then thats obviously what you originally wanted and will regret settling for something else.

If you have genuinly changed your mind, then make sure you moan at the dealer for not getting you what you originally wanted and make sure you get a hefty discount.