ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup with Climate Control Official

Quote: Originally posted by CUPPY on 13 May 2003

kwsus22 - everything great mate apart from a stain on the passenger seat very slight as the salesman spilt his bottled water on it..git!!!!!....once you drive it mate you will realise it is the best thing you have ever purchased dont worry mate you made a good choice...abs is only needed if you dont like running people over unlike me i have already destroyed 6 elderly pensioners...not a better sound than b0ones crunching the bonnet lol
Spot on, but I go for students

Come on peeps!!!

nobody is saying the either car is better apart from cup owners.

Having had ALL the incarnations of the 172, yes, some might be surprised, but my MK2 172 was sold a few months ago and now have a CUP WITH aircon.

I fully agree, and i dont think anybody doesnt that cups are ultimately faster. But the margin that that are is probably multiplied by an owners head. And all this saying that teh cup is diff from a 172, i dont understand why its so hard to beleive that its a 172 (since they came first) with a bits missing and the castor & track increases. If the Cup came first, teh 172 would be a Cup plus a few bits and bobs.

I will miss my UV glass, xenons (only cause they look ace) but mostly my leather seats.....

But its personal preference.

i dont see where the hostility is comming from?

Thanks Ben,

I have never put down the CUP either, just the ill information. I agree there is a difference in performance. It is small, but there. There is no way the Cup is a "special" though. We all know it and Reanult have used a fantastic piece of marketing that has ammounted to nothing more than another empty promise.

We now have CUPS with optional extras. This will mean a more expensive car than the MK2 when it is all added.

FANTASTIC MARKETING

Good old free market practice and massaging peoples egos. What our great economy is all about.!!!!!!!!!!!

to see some frank and honest comments from a cup owner on the difference see the swindon meet thread on the clio section, christian and raced between the swindon meet and cheltenham and his comments relate to his own opinion (as a cup owner) on the subject, i agree the cup may be marginally faster but the difference is negligible(sp) and we couldnt seperate the two of our (neither of us had passengers ) he bought the cup at the time as he said he couldnt stretch the extra couple of grand to the 172 and didnt realise until coming on the site that there was this whole cup=faster discussion being put forward

Alfa Mito 155TB

ABS is good at getting you out of the sh8*t in near accident situations...last week behind a punto going onto a roundabout, the punto driven in front stamped on the anchors because a car to her right decided to join onto the roundabout. I just stamped on the brake peddle praying i wasnt going to go into the back of her, I could feel the abs going on and off. No way did i have time to think about pumping the brake peddle as you would have to do in a cup....the situation happened so quickly in a short space of time

CTR EK9 turbo

I have a mk1 172. I like all the incarnations of Clios. If the Cup was around when i was buying my mk.1 id have probably bought one - like the wheels, colour and if they ever decide to make warranty-friendly mods, that too.

All great cars. Im pleased with mine. Obviously like the toys (?) but rarely use aircon - hoping that this summer will bring some sun light, please!?

I can relate to needing A/C in hot countries, it is a necessity. I used to live in Texas and having a car with no A/C would be like giving yourself a shower from the inside out. Our A/C was on if the engine was on. You opened the window if you wanted to warm up if it got too cold inside. I wonder if maxi-modders in hot countries are so fussed about cold air feed pipes?

YUP!!!

they are bonkers about cold air pipes, custom ceramic pipes, all sorts of wrapes to keep thiings cool, reflective tape.....

I live in Australia and Air Con is a must! It gets quite hot down here during summer and my car color is black so it absorbs alot of heat. Fitting a Viper made all the difference! :D

I found it amusing reading through this post. I cant see the problem with Air Con being an option for the Cup but I guess some people in here just dont understand.

Oh, by the way.. the Cup isnt avaliable in Australia anyway :cry:

Megane R26

Just a quick note about ABS here, yes it is fantastic in emergency situations but you gotta think how you get into such situations in the first place! Keep a GOOD distance between you and the car in front, you are on the road along with other unpredictable drivers not the bloody track!

I never had ABS on any of the cars I had before my valver, did that mean that I locked up every time I had to brake and write my car off?????

Half of the pool cars we have in work dont have ABS!

It probably should be a standard option but dont think it makes you any more dangerous on the road, its the driver that causes the danger not the car!

The Jinx

Read evo last night, and they comment that the 172 may be dropped altogether as they arent selling since the Cup arrived. Apparently they may just offer the Cup but with all the options that could make it up to a 172 spec.

This may clarify the situation a bit.

hiyaa peeps and peepettes

I bought my cup cos it was cheaper and I liked the idea of a stripped down version. Ive got a nice "family" luxo-barge if I ever needed a few luxuries. Id be the last to say the cup is any quicker, simply because I havent driven anything else (come to think of it the last reno I drove was my dads 16TX in 1977 - oops showing my age now).

On aircon, I congratulate myself on not having it. You see the missus and kids spend the summer in Corsica where its f*ing hot and she initially fancied taking my cup down there vs her monster-wagon - that is until I said my cup had no aircon - oops, deaaaaary me, wont have it.

Hey presto yours truly keeps the cup for a summer of madness . He he he I love it when a plan comes together...

What a laugh! Ermmmm Blaze you dont have conclusive proof that the planned warranty friendly mods for the CUPwont happen so until Renault clear this matter up - dont make assumptions coz we all know assumptions are the mothers of all F*&K ups - theres no point arguning that it wasnt an homologation special - coz it was and Eddd has the proff which he posted here! Wait until we hear direct from the horses mouth (Renault) and then we can decide whether Renault made empty promises - for all we know the upgrades may be released whenever the V6 arrives here in June............! It would also appear that there is a tad bit of jealousy from 172 owners toward the cUP - Im not jealous of the 172 Mk2 coz I and all the other cup owners on here had the choice of either the cup or 172! And we choose the cup because wa e felt it was a better package - when I read the brochure I didnt give a sh*t about no ABS or aircon etc and still dont All I want is a set of nice reacro race seats, as triped out interior and coilovers! DDoesnt make sense to buy a 172 if your gonna rip out that lovely interior and anyhow Ive got all those toys as everyone classes them in my 1600 and they are never used! The cup was fresha nd was the latest thing and I personally like to have the most up to date things! Im sure if those 172 owners had waited and had also had the choice a few more may have turned to the blue side - which incidentally is not last years colour (explain how all the major manufacturers have release their new models in a similar Blue to the cup which incidentally comes from the success of Subarus Mica Blue - eg New WRX/STi, New Golf R32, new V6 also in Cup blue) - if it was last years then Renault have made a big mistake havent they!!??

AAAyyyyyyeeeeee..................Respect TimO172 (any word on those coilovers yet mate?)

Oh and the badges were lovely - Ive stuck 22 of them all over the car now just so people know the difference betwen the lesser standard last years 172 model................:cool:;)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by CUPSIZE? on 14 May 2003

there is a tad bit of jealousy from 172 owners toward the cUP - Im not jealous of the 172 Mk2 coz I and all the other cup owners on here had the choice of either the cup or 172!
Err, I too had the choice, I chose the mk2 172 out of all three.

How on earth could a 172 owner ever be jelous.. ?? that what really pisses me off ?? if I really wanted a Cup (which I dont cause I am happy with my car) I could sell my 172 and buy a brand new Cup ??

As far as I am concerned I see the Cup for people who cant affored the 172 or people who want a weekend track day (2nd) car..

As stated already there is no difference in the Cup/172 on the ROAD ! in REAL LIFE, I think I will keep all my toys and still keep up with the Cups..

What the cups should have been where full sports seats in the front, engine modifacations so that they came out of the factory with 200bhp and ABS.. then I might have though about getting one, but I would miss my luxuries too much.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Oh and I didnt know that the Cups dont come with xenons.. fook me.. add that to the list.. why the hell did they loose the xenons ? it doesnt exactly wiegh much ? or was it a cost thing..

I cannot believe this post is still going and people are still arguing - what is there to argue about???? The cup is cheaper, the cup is faster (and no, I dont own one, I have a Mk1 172), and now you get to have air con if you want a bit of luxury as well - I would have thought the average customer appreciated a bit of choice?? - what the hell is the problem here guys????

Last night i raced my mates cup......guess what? its a little bit faster WOW, there we go folks the great debate is over.

He was about 4 mtr ahead of me after 4th gear, its such a small gap on the road it seems to be a rip off when Renault try to market the car as the fastest Clio. Fine go ahead lose all those things which make a car comftable to sit in for hours on end, you have got your extra 4 mtrs lads. Before anyone one flames me i think the cup is a great motor, but dangerously flawed by not having ABS (EVO have suggested this to!)

The ultimate 172 would be in CUP blue with the cup ride hight and wheels. Renault have realised this to, thats why there planning to offer it!

everybody should learn to drive in a car without ABS anyway in my opinion - if you can drive properly then the Cup is no more dangerous than any other car - the safeness or dangerousness of any car depends totally and completely on the competency of the driver at the time - no-one and nothing can account completely for all the other idiots on the road, not even ABS!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

What a load of B ollex,

Doenst matter how competant a driver you are, if someone pulls out on you or veers over to your side of the road.

Dont matter how good you can drive a car without abs, end of the day a car equiped with ABS will always stop quicker in rain and in the dry (in the dry the difference between the two will probably be negligable)

As I keep stating unless in a non abs car you can apply the exact pressure just before the tyre would lock up (which is impossible to predict) then your either not braking as hard as you could (hence stopping quicker) or braking to hard causing a lock up and taking about 2x the distance to stop.

ABS takes the guess work out of it, I havent even begun to go into the ability to steer round objects at the same time. so while all you non abs cars are concentrating on pumping the pedal 12 times a second and steering round any obsticals, which I seriously doubt any person could do when they are not expecting it. Where as I in my ABS equiped car simply push as hard as I can on the brake pedal and feed the steering wheel round to avoid any obsticals.

I would however say that if the Cup was to be solely used on track/rallies then the ABS argument becomes more balanced towards not having it.. Same goes with side airbags.. whats the point of them in track days ? a side hit is pretty unlikely.

who cares about air con and abs? I bought my Cup because it was 89kgs lighter.

Then I proceeded to slap in loads of stereo stuff thus losing my weight gain.

figures...

Eddd - ur absolutely right - asubaru would claim though that they started the Wprld rally blue thing but we all know that they pinched it from the Williams!

KDF - ur absolutley right - they should have had sports race seats and 200BHP and prodrive style upgardes from day one - what a c**k up by Renault!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Sangy on 14 May 2003

who cares about air con and abs? I bought my Cup because it was 89kgs lighter.

Then I proceeded to slap in loads of stereo stuff thus losing my weight gain.

figures...

ah but you will still be 89kg lighter than a 172 with the same ICE ;)

lol - my weight fluctuates in the mornings - bas bowel system so I defo notice a difference in accelaration say on a Monday than from a Friday - great sound effects too..............

Megane R26

Why do people with ABS believe they are Invincible?????

If you react too late/brake too late, or the conditions of the road are bad (wet/icy) YOU WILL CRASH!!!! ABS or NOT!

ABSs performace degrades in wet/icy conditions but does however allow you to steer the car (unlike non ABS which will lock you up in whatever direction you are currently pointing - sideways usually!! ;))

ABS does NOT make up for bad driving or poor reactions!!!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by anthonyj207 on 14 May 2003

Why do people with ABS believe they are Invincible?????

At no point did I say I was invincible I mearly stated that an ABS equipped car will stop quicker in wet and dry conditions.

If you react too late/brake too late, or the conditions of the road are bad (wet/icy) YOU WILL CRASH!!!! ABS or NOT!

True, but that is the case whether you have ABS or not, however at least if you have an ABS equipped car you can try to steer around the obstacle hence preventing said crash !

performace degrades in wet/icy conditions

Err. it does that on non ABS equipped cars too, its called lower levels of traction due to water and ice acting as a lubricant.

but does however allow you to steer the car (unlike non ABS which will lock you up in whatever direction you are currently pointing - sideways usually!! ;))

The whole point of ABS, the reason it was created in the first place.

ABS does NOT make up for bad driving or poor reactions!!!

True, it does however assist bad drivers in getting out of the situations.

WHY are we onto ABS?

we all know the facts....its safer in the long run, but some people dont like it/think they are better.....leave them to it.....

What were oe originally talking about? lol

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

dunno.. I dont even know how i got to this thread..

Think i must of fell asleep at the comp and hit the mouse with my head or somthin.. DOH !

Megane R26

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 14 May 2003

Quote: Originally posted by anthonyj207 on 14 May 2003

True, but that is the case whether you have ABS or not, however at least if you have an ABS equipped car you can try to steer around the obstacle hence preventing said crash !

performace degrades in wet/icy conditions

Err. it does that on non ABS equipped cars too, its called lower levels of traction due to water and ice acting as a lubricant.

Didnt say it wouldnt happen to non ABS cars. The point of limiting friction of the roads surface is obviously increased. Basic Physics.

but does however allow you to steer the car (unlike non ABS which will lock you up in whatever direction you are currently pointing - sideways usually!! )

The whole point of ABS, the reason it was created in the first place.

Exactly! But ABS does NOT allow you to take more chances or bigger risks as many people seem led to believe. How many times have I seen people driving like idiots on wet roads and icy conditions believing that ABS is a miracle cure to not crashing! The point I was trying to make! :D

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Ye your forgiven for going OT...

seeing as I totally agree with your last point about not being a miracle cure to not crashing.;)

nah.......nobodies argueing, its a dicussions beween a group of intelligent like minded people.

BTW, cup blue is horrid! :eek: