ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DCi 65 Vs 1.2 16V

What planet are you on?
Performance theres not alot in it I believe the 1.2 16v is 12.5 secs 0-60 and the dci 65 is 15secs, top end is about the same although I reckon the dci would be much better mid range.
Are your on about new or used? I think you will find used the dci's retain their residuals alot better than the 1.2s so therefore are alot more expensive used.
Find me a hpi clear dci 65 Dynam and a 1.2 16v dynam of the same age and miles you will find the petrol is substantially cheaper. Diesel cars are renown for having higher list prices than their petrol counterparts.

Those times are book. Diesels will never have a great 0-60 time due to needing 3 gears to hit 60 (although I think the 1.2 does aswell).

My 1.2 does 60mph in 2nd

edde's 65 apparently is on par with 1.4s from standing starts, not sure how much of that was due to RT, but if you do a rolling start at 20mph (not much point doing it at 50 as there's not much further you can go with the said cars) the dci will be ahead.

Edde is a very good driver. TomRT's Dci 80 could not get past c.slickers 1.2 16v...

Then we can talk about lower running costs, sure a 1.2 can get 50mpg, but if you drive the dci as slow as that you'll get 70mpg. Cheaper tax too, although some people seem to find insurance is more.. Shop around is all I can suggest.
My 1.2 gets 50mpg most of the time, 45mpg if I thrash it. Tax saving is about £70/ year not even a night out!
Finally sale value, diesels cost more, but they also sell for more. Simple logic really.
True but I prefer to have as little as possible in terms of capital tied up in a car due to other expensive hobbies. If a dci is £1k more than the equivelant 1.2 16v I wouldn't even consider it as I don't think its any better than the petrol.
Aren't diesels more expensive to service than petrols? Theres the tax saving out the window then...

Plus the fact you don't have to change down just to keep up with traffic.

I would rather have the 1.2 16v and a grand in my pocket than a dci 65, if it was a dci 80 then of course I would take that.

50nm more than a but 10hp less. What do you lot reckon? Im possibly going to view a dci tonight. Are they fairly nippy with the 65bhp?
A 65 makes about 70mh realistically the 65hp rating for the tax rules IMO abroad a few miles and the engine realy does make about 70hp.

It is more than adequate for someone who is too young/doesn't have the money/isn't a performance car enthusiast..
I like performacne cars just not the running costs.

Performance theres not alot in it I believe the 1.2 16v is 12.5 secs 0-60 and the dci 65 is 15secs, top end is about the same although I reckon the dci would be much better mid range.

0-60 is about 13.7 on a 65.

edde's 65 apparently is on par with 1.4s from standing starts, not sure how much of that was due to RT, but if you do a rolling start at 20mph (not much point doing it at 50 as there's not much further you can go with the said cars) the dci will be ahead.
Yep a check on an private road (honest it realy was) showed the 1.4 (with an exhaust etc) gained about 3 car lengthes at about 80mph when we finished racing. I did get a bit of advantage of the line keeping with the petrold realy as i dropped the clutch a bit but reagrdless the 1.4 was quicker ust by less than you'd think.

the diesel you could have remapped and put a turbo on it but there you go

Dci has a turbo as stock.

My 1.2 does 60mph in 2nd

Edde is a very good driver. TomRT's Dci 80 could not get past c.slickers 1.2 16v...

My 1.2 gets 50mpg most of the time, 45mpg if I thrash it. Tax saving is about £70/ year not even a night out!

Aren't diesels more expensive to service than petrols? Theres the tax saving out the window then...

My dci does 50 in second.
I don't think toms race is very fair tom didn't know the roads get a dci vs petrol on rack realy to be fair etc.

If ou get 50 out of a petrol a dci would be about 50% more.

£70 might not be much to you but to me that my £70 I've got better stuff to do with my money than going out or throwing away.

Dci is cheaper in some ways no coil plugs or spark plugs to fail on the other hand list price of the high pressure filter (£35 you cna get them cheaper) then again that only needs changing ever 36k and I've run one for 54k without issue.

1.2 16v
am i right in thinking that the 1.2 8v will do a higher speed in a certain gear than the 1.2 16v due to the gear box ratio, as my 1.2 16v limits just under 55mph in second. also i noticed my car does 3000rpm in 5th gear at 60 and my mates punto 1.2 8v does 2500rpm in 5th in 60. Food for thought anyway

CB600FS
Lol @ TomRTs slower. I'd happily 'race' any 1.2/1.4/1.6 now its sorted. Chuffing Injector, nuff said.

As for the DCI80 was side by side my mate in his 1.6 16v till about 50 then he edges away, both cars running perfect at the time, not running on 3 cylinders ;) (done this hundreds of times) Now the mapped DCI is noticably quicker, when overtaking hes still dropping down into 3/4 whereas the DCI doesn't need a gearchange, just floor it and its away.

You've gotta work the 1.2/1.4/1.6 to go quick, whereas DCI's do it with less effort. As for the 0-60, 2nd gear ends in the DCI's about 50/55mph so your right on the gearchange, byebye 2 seconds. Also bear in mind the DCI (80s) got a stronger gearbox than the 1.6 let alone the 1.2 so ratios are different and all that.

if you do a rolling start at 20mph (not much point doing it at 50 as there's not much further you can go with the said cars) the dci will be ahead.

At the speeds climbs the power difference will start to show.

I've have 113 on the GPS (125 shown on the clocks) out of mine so they arn't that slow.

mk4 golf gttdi180
A 65 makes about 70mh realistically the 65hp rating for the tax rules IMO abroad a few miles and the engine realy does make about 70hp.

It is more than adequate for someone who is too young/doesn't have the money/isn't a performance car enthusiast..
I like performacne cars just not the running costs.

0-60 is about 13.7 on a 65.

Yep a check on an private road (honest it realy was) showed the 1.4 (with an exhaust etc) gained about 3 car lengthes at about 80mph when we finished racing. I did get a bit of advantage of the line keeping with the petrold realy as i dropped the clutch a bit but reagrdless the 1.4 was quicker ust by less than you'd think.

the diesel you could have remapped and put a turbo on it but there you go

Dci has a turbo as stock.

My 1.2 does 60mph in 2nd

My dci does 50 in second.
I don't think toms race is very fair tom didn't know the roads get a dci vs petrol on rack realy to be fair etc.

If ou get 50 out of a petrol a dci would be about 50% more.

£70 might not be much to you but to me that my £70 I've got better stuff to do with my money than going out or throwing away.

Dci is cheaper in some ways no coil plugs or spark plugs to fail on the other hand list price of the high pressure filter (£35 you cna get them cheaper) then again that only needs changing ever 36k and I've run one for 54k without issue.
when they do there miles they start failing like all diesels , pumps etc start going and they cost alot and you cant used recon units

petrol head all the way mateys then you can give it some you will at some point

[when they do there miles they start failing like all diesels , pumps etc start going and they cost alot and you cant used recon units

No sure expactly what part of my post your commenting on but yep pumps and injectors can die but then again the amount of 1.2 which have been hammered which are still going with over 100 k is a lot less than dcis with over 100k they can have problems but for long life dci all the way.

What do you mean though by get a petrol and you can give it some? All cars have there limits the point of the driver is to make the use of it.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Khunt you not renewing? Got rid of the Clio now then?

Not renewing because there's no benefit, I don't work in an office anymore so no more spamming GC so the only thing that I miss is the avatar, but can't be bothered to make a paypal account just for that.

Still got the Clio, it's going to the ring early next month.

if you do a rolling start at 20mph (not much point doing it at 50 as there's not much further you can go with the said cars) the dci will be ahead.

At the speeds climbs the power difference will start to show.

I've have 113 on the GPS (125 shown on the clocks) out of mine so they arn't that slow.

I bet that was ready to blow! In mine that would be into the red, max I've had is 118mph GPS and that was for about 20 miles before I had to slow down (trucks overtaking and no hard shoulder available)

Ok..... I think the difference we're trying to point out to you christian rea is that when "giving it some" the DCI will infact be quicker than the 1.2, it will also be more comfortable to drive when not "giving it some".

I bet that was ready to blow! In mine that would be into the red, max I've had is 118mph GPS and that was for about 20 miles before I had to slow down (trucks overtaking and no hard shoulder available)

4.5k or so I think gonna try beating that speed soon.

Breaking A 172 Replica
Pah. Tom and his excuses ;)

To be fair I think if Tom's car wasn't running properly, when it was he would be a fair bit quicker.

Although Edde - it was an airifeld type road so knowing the road wasn't an issue.

My opinion:

Petrol is more fun. Sounds nicer (and I think this is very important in any driving experience) I like taking it up through the revs, hell I even prefer the smell of petrol over diesel.

Monetary value aside, if someone gave me the choice between a 65 and 1.2 I'd choose 1.2. 80 and a 1.2 I would have to think VERY hard. 100 and 1.2 I would go with 100.

dci126 & H&R'd 1*2
Petrol is more fun. Sounds nicer (and I think this is very important in any driving experience) I like taking it up through the revs, hell I even prefer the smell of petrol over diesel.

About the sound thing, you just have to take the air feed hose off the airbox and it will sound far better than any 1.2 ever will, because no 1.2 will make a turbo wisteling noise.
Can't comment on the smell though, petrol deffo smells nicer than diesel, but hey the smell is for the one behind you;)

172, Tiguan
I've had both and the 38k in the DCi was a lot better than the 27k done in the 1.2! If you can afford the extra expense then its not a big decision what to go for!

VaVa
Jon knows. I begged my missus to get a DCI Mk3 Clio after her 1.2 16v mk2.. She went for a Mk3 1.4 16v in the end, much to my displeasure. (especially as I'm paying for it lol)

I had a Mk3 DCI as a courtesy car and it was miles better than her 1.4 (allegedly 98 bhp). Noticeably more grunt when rolling and real easy to tootle along in.

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
I've done 22K miles in a dci 65bhp and 40k in a 1.2 and recommend it over the 1.2 16v, much nicer and smoother to drive quickly than a 1.2, as said better fuel economy and CHEAP to tax. They are nippy little cars.

get it remapped aswell and you are sorted!

Golf Mk3 Gti 8v
I don't agree with the slow comments, I've had a 172 and currently have a 225, I still wouldn't call the dci 65 slow. It is more than adequate for someone who is too young/doesn't have the money/isn't a performance car enthusiast. The DCI has got to be worth the extra money for the cheap tax alone, its a bargain. The torque of the diesel engine makes it a much more driveable car over the 1.2 IMHO, granted at high speed it loses its grunt, but its not a 172 at the end of the day and there are speed limits (believe it or not).

agreed

Clio Sport 172/2ltr Corsa
My m8 had a Dci 65hp and i thought it drove miles better than the 1.2 16v petrol. Economy wise it was a dream - £5 nearly lasted all night! £20 in my Sport doesn't last as long as £5 did in the diesel. Dci all the way m8 - Unless ur buying a 172/182!!

Ktec'd 1.2 16v Sport
I've got a 1.2 16v Yreg 2001. It seems ok, but fuel econ is crap if you drive above 3500rpm. I get about 325 miles on 45 litres which is about 33mpg! but most the time it's bouncing off the rev limiter to keep it going!
P.s its in garage at mo it died other nite. Emmissions fault with electrics light on as well.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i couldnt go back to a 1.2 16v you need to nail f**k out them to get them to go anywhere, i used to get 220miles to a tank of petrol (£45) in mine, 172 gets 400+ when i drive it carefully or the same 220miles-ish when i hammer it so really its much better as you cant drive the 1.2 carfull its to fukin slow.

DCi although i havn't driven one must be much better to drive normal with extra torque, especially after a remap

dont know about dci but the 1.2's are like chocolate, i blew 1 engine, 1 gearbox, a driveshaft, 2 exhaust flexi's (replacement cat needed!) poor thing had a hard time but was never hammered untill it had normal oil temp. oil changed every 5k miles max and never hit the limiter, used to eat front tyres every 5k miles and chew brakes! was fun at the time tho!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
i couldnt go back to a 1.2 16v you need to nail f**k out them to get them to go anywhere, i used to get 220miles to a tank of petrol (£45) in mine, 172 gets 400+ when i drive it carefully or the same 220miles-ish when i hammer it so really its much better as you cant drive the 1.2 carfull its to fukin slow.

DCi although i havn't driven one must be much better to drive normal with extra torque, especially after a remap

dont know about dci but the 1.2's are like chocolate, i blew 1 engine, 1 gearbox, a driveshaft, 2 exhaust flexi's (replacement cat needed!) poor thing had a hard time but was never hammered untill it had normal oil temp. oil changed every 5k miles max and never hit the limiter, used to eat front tyres every 5k miles and chew brakes! was fun at the time tho!

400miles to a tank! f**k off!!!!