ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

De-icing

This morning was the first morning so far I've had to de-ice my windscreen. Like most people I detest it so am looking for a sloution to make the job easier/not necesary.

Is a towel/plastic bag across the windscreen the best option? I'm aware most products don't really work and are generally quite messy.

Also de-icer sprays, I've always been careful not to get these on the paint when I have used them. Just how bad for it are they out of curiosity?

Thanks

BennyC

Left on, not good. They could burn through an LSP you have and possibly stain.

I know this is not what you want to hear, but I get up 10 minutes early and turn the car on... as I did this morning. No scratching, no chemicals and warms the car up (for the engine/oil and me!!).

You can put special matts over. I say special, meaning designed for the job, not anything more than that. In fact, I'm pretty sure a couple of friends use the heat sheild type ones that reflect heat away from the car in summer...

i use warm water n a squeegy sp* works a treat :D

Can be hazardous - freezing to boiling in one go. If you do this, you're actually better off using cold water. Still works (5'C rather than -X'C) but doesn't cause the temperature shock!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
If you know its going to be cold in the morning do this >

Open all the doors and boot for a few minutes the night before, (say 3-4 minutes)

Wake up in the morning, no ice

If you know its going to be cold in the morning do this >

Open all the doors and boot for a few minutes the night before, (say 3-4 minutes)

Wake up in the morning, no ice

This never worked with my Clio, but have a feeling it was something to do with the way the heaters whistled when going above 30mph... Will try it with the Audi!

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
Can be hazardous - freezing to boiling in one go. If you do this, you're actually better off using cold water. Still works (5'C rather than -X'C) but doesn't cause the temperature shock!

i only use warm water, not hot... plus it keeps my hands warm lol

not sure if i could invest in a hard top

Anyone use anything like Mist-X or Rain-X? Do they make a difference during the winter?

I tried using it in the CTR, because the EP3s suffer from the worst misting ever, and it was useless. It also had the added benefit of making the car smell like you had necked a bottle of gin.

And even if it did work, it wouldnt help with de-icing as you apply it inside.

E87 118d M Sport
I use comma pro vision clear gel on my glass. Parents cars were frozen solid this morning, mine was fine (well, there was one small patch right in the middle of the windscreen at the top, took literally 4 seconds to scrape)

I tried using it in the CTR, because the EP3s suffer from the worst misting ever, and it was useless. It also had the added benefit of making the car smell like you had necked a bottle of gin.

And even if it did work, it wouldnt help with de-icing as you apply it inside.

Cheers. Takes forever in a morning for me to de mist the windscreen so I was hoping that stuff would help

Im wondering if the G1 glass protectant stuff ive got on my windows will make de icing easier...

I just use warm tap water if i'm at home, De-icer spray if i'm desperate.

I would suggest so. If the water droplets are less able to stay on the windows, the less likely you are to have ice... I would have thought!

Ta for the replies.

I know not to use boiling water unless you want to crack your windscreen!

Getting up slightly earlier may well be the best option, blerrgh!

Nobody used a towel/bin bag on the outside?

All the beading on my car was frozen solid this morning :)

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Bag on window night before, take it off in the morning perfectly clear windscreen, job done.

I use comma pro vision clear gel on my glass. Parents cars were frozen solid this morning, mine was fine (well, there was one small patch right in the middle of the windscreen at the top, took literally 4 seconds to scrape)

Just read a couple of reviews on this and they don't seem too positive. Was it easy to apply?

E87 118d M Sport
Yeah stuffs great. Been using it for years. Apply thinly, leave for 10 mins, buff off. If you use too much it is difficult to get a non streaky finishing, but if this happens just get another clean cloth and buff again. Last for a good few months. No need to use wipers above 60 in the rain.
I couldn't recommend the stuff enough (for the money).

Ymmv. The CTR misted so badly I dont think anything would have helped. It just made the inside of the windows wet, rather than misty.

Ymmv?

Yeah stuffs great. Been using it for years. Apply thinly, leave for 10 mins, buff off. If you use too much it is difficult to get a non streaky finishing, but if this happens just get another clean cloth and buff again. Last for a good few months. No need to use wipers above 60 in the rain.
I couldn't recommend the stuff enough (for the money).

Maybe its worth a try, if it works a bonus when it comes to de ice and if it doesn't its only £7 wasted.

E87 118d M Sport
Maybe its worth a try, if it works a bonus when it comes to de ice and if it doesn't its only £7 wasted.

It worked nicely this morning yea. Cant remember last year too well lol.
It doesnt work in the VERY thick of winter. Its just too cold. And thinking logically, youd prob scrape it off if its properly frozen.

I would buy it alone for the water clearing properties when its raining mind.

E87 118d M Sport
Doesn't that push the rubbers in enough to leave a gap allowing the cold air into the car and therefore freezing the inside windows lol?

Nothing at the mo :(
i just drive with my head out the window, wakes you up a bit too!!

Ace venture style?

Ace-Ventura-Pet-Detective.jpg

E87 118d M Sport
That's the thing that always put my off doing that. And then you have a wet towel you have to do something with. everyday. lol

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Warm water from the tap .. in a bottle .. pour on the windows .. squeegee off if you must ...

It warms the glass up so minimal (if any) misting up inside too.