ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing advice!: Wheel cleaner/ window seal cleaner/ tyre dressing

Z4
Ok, so I'm sale prepping my car, it's gotta go! (hopefully for some vee fun)

I want it to be spotless, and it's pretty good in all fairness, however I would really like to clean up the black rubber/plastic window surrounds, any products you'd recommend? I'd like them as glossy as possible really.

As for wheel cleaner I've written this down: http://www.detailedobsession.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=212
Any good?

Tyre dressing: Again, I'd like it as glossy as possible.

What's best :) Any other advise to give my car that extra 'finish' would be good too

I guess there is no point in talking about a proper prep of the wheels, so would say either AG Engine and Machine Cleaner or the Bilberry, dependant on budget.

Trim, AG Vinyl and Rubber, tyres, Megs Endurance/Hot Shine/Blackfire Wheel Shine.

Z4
Cheers y'all.

Any other recommendations? Bilberry I've heard about, I'll get some of that. As for the tyre/plastic/rubber shine I don't know what's best really

Not a 320d
For tyres, Blackfire Tyre Gel. I have Megs endurance, and i can say that out of the two Blackfire lasts longer and gives a more glossy look. Cannot comment on others sorry. Tyres need to be scrubbed, dry and cool. I clean them with Neat snowfoam in a sprayer, aggitate and then before application, make sure they are completely dry. After application, i rub the tyres with an old Microfibre rag to remove excess, as it doesnt effect the glossyness or the durability IMO.

Wheels, what we talking about, If they are PAGGERED then use Espuma Revolution, acid free and very powerful, google for a 1L bottle. I use neat to remove stubborn grime, stains, yellow brake dust etc. Billberry doesnt really do more than lift brake dust, i wish people would stop reccomending it as a good wheel cleaner, it is, but it doesnt clean against stubborn grime.

Plastics, Autoglym Vynal And Rubber care works well, doesnt last more than about 3 washes though i find. I also use neat snowfoam to clean rubbers by aggitating, i dress them with AG Vynal and rubber. I dress weather seals with Einzett Gummi Pflege Stift.

Nissan 370Z
I guess there is no point in talking about a proper prep of the wheels, so would say either AG Engine and Machine Cleaner or the Bilberry, dependant on budget.

Trim, AG Vinyl and Rubber, tyres, Megs Endurance/Hot Shine/Blackfire Wheel Shine.
#

What would you call a proper wheel prep?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I use g101(diluted) for stubborn brake dust ect... I think it dulls the wheels slightly so needs a good clean up after using the g101 but it will remove a lot once agitated.

Russ i've never heard of that stuff. Looks okay. I've been using megs stuff.

Megane R26
It's the tits! Trust me, I have quite literally tried... them... all!

Z16 for endurance? Really? Like most other water based dressings, it's gone after a downpour :( It does have a nice sheen to it though!

E87 118d M Sport
2 coats of Z-16 lasts WAY longer than one downpour!!!
Its the best tyre finish for what I was looking for; a natural look.

Megane R26
To be fair I was testing about 10 dressings at the same time!! I was never keen on my own black Clio, it needed a bit more bling.

I'll re-visit it, I love most of the Zaino range (except the glass polish and Z7 is average at best!)

E87 118d M Sport
I agree with that mate. Z7 isnt bad....but there are much better for the same cash (or less tbf).
I can see what you mean against the black of the bodywork. Its definitely a "new tyre" looking finish rather than a "high gloss" finish. I've tried alot of the gel based dressings...and I just find them messy and short lived.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Megs doesn't last that long but my tyres are scrubbed and re-applied weekly so it's a moot point.

I like a high gloss finish on my tyres also.

Megane R26
I've been too busy with the fairer sex to worry about burning clearcoat, but I miss it, so I'm kinda back... for a bit!

I see you've embraced Lime Prime finally... :)

Megane R26
I agree with that mate. Z7 isnt bad....but there are much better for the same cash (or less tbf).
I can see what you mean against the black of the bodywork. Its definitely a "new tyre" looking finish rather than a "high gloss" finish. I've tried alot of the gel based dressings...and I just find them messy and short lived.

Try the WheelWax stuff mate, it really is very good. Best of the blingy dressings, other than Pinnacle Onyx.

Have you tried Optimum Car Shampoo? £28 for a US Gall. Best shampoo out there! I use AS Autowash on details though - £10 for 5L, can't go wrong!

I've been too busy with the fairer sex to worry about burning clearcoat, but I miss it, so I'm kinda back... for a bit!

I see you've embraced Lime Prime finally... :)

I have buddy, got rid of the NODODO glasses! Good to see you about pal! Presume you're keeping/hunting well ;)

E87 118d M Sport
I was just having a look at that wheelwax stuff Russ. I'll give it a shot next time I place an order with ECC. Cheers!
How do you rate Optimum against Duragloss #901. I have tried ALOT of shampoo's, but theres something about 901 that brings me back to it (not just the cherry smell. promise)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Why am I on site making baskets! I hate you guys! :(

Megane R26
I was just having a look at that wheelwax stuff Russ. I'll give it a shot next time I place an order with ECC. Cheers!
How do you rate Optimum against Duragloss #901. I have tried ALOT of shampoo's, but theres something about 901 that brings me back to it (not just the cherry smell. promise)

DG901 is good, but I like suds, and to get suds you need to use a LOT of it, at which point it begins to strip wax... the Optimum foams like a mofo, leaves an equal finish, you use far less and it smells nicer!! (Pears rather than Cherries!).

Buy some, if you don't like it, I'll buy it off you. Optimum is a great range, but often overlooked over here. CYC is about to start stocking it too.

Megane R26
Give the metal polish a blast too... wow!

Have you used Opti Seal?

Totally off-topic... sorry :)

E87 118d M Sport
Lol I'm sure the OP is learning stuff.....(maybe)

I havent personally tried the Opti-seal. I am however having a play with some nanolex premium paint sealant atm.

I use Dodo Juice Mellow Yellow to clean the wheels on my 350Z. it's good, but it stinks! not a pleasant smell like the rest of the DJ products i have.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I hate you russ! The missus is going to bury my balls in the back garden! :(