ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Not a 320d
Christmas wash for the old s**tter back up north for the week so have use of snowfoams and no queuing for the jet wash.

Sonax detailing spray of course.

Excuse the boulder chip on the bonnet.

Dont ask what it looks like under sunlight...... JD would be HORRIFIED.

053f59e1-67e0-4e05-bd70-784bf3aa19a1_zpsf5389629.jpg

I'm no expert but I used the black pad with triple and it worked fine.

Are you looking to have a go at some cutting/polishing once you've practiced with triple ?

A nice easy to use combo is Megs ultimate compound with either white or green hex-logic. White for less cut than green depending what you're trying to tackle.

U/C is great stuff, doesn't dust and it's fairly flexable work time. It's also very flexable how much cut you can get from it by varying the pressure/pad choice/amount of passes you use.

I do one pass with no pressure to spread it, then 1-2 passes with some pressure, followed by 1-2 passes with only light pressure.

For most people/paint types this will leave you with a very nice finish which you could then finish with your triple or favourite wax.

I'm just about to order a DAS-6 and I think it would be good to just buy a black hex-logic pad to use with my AF Triple, just so I can get to grips with it all.

These are the two I'm looking to get:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=673

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=686

Is there anything else I need to order or will these two things along with Triple do me for the time being?

RB 182

Are you looking to have a go at some cutting/polishing once you've practiced with triple ?

Cheers mate :) Yeah I will be, I want to get to grips with all first though so that's why I'm not delving into the world of different pads/compounds and combos just yet.

A nice easy to use combo is Megs ultimate compound with either white or green hex-logic. White for less cut than green depending what you're trying to tackle.

U/C is great stuff, doesn't dust and it's fairly flexable work time. It's also very flexable how much cut you can get from it by varying the pressure/pad choice/amount of passes you use.

I do one pass with no pressure to spread it, then 1-2 passes with some pressure, followed by 1-2 passes with only light pressure.

For most people/paint types this will leave you with a very nice finish which you could then finish with your triple or favourite wax.

Chap, that's nothing like the necessary amount of time/passes required for a DA. The polish will have barely got to work with four passes after you've spread it.

Have a look at the stickies for the "zenith technique" for more info.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Anyone know if Pug paint is soft/hard??

Need to order some pads and polishes for my new DA :)

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Decided I want to get more organised. Currently I have a set of plastic drawers, bottom drawer for Drying Towels, middle for Car Microfibres, top for 'general' microfibres and wheels etc.

I want to segrigate more per job, so will be ordering more drawers, colour coded microfibres etc.

Any recommendatons for Microfibres I can buy in bulk, that are good enough for Paint? Also going to buy fresh new ones for wheels, tyres and windows. Then Im tempted to have a few for polish, wax and sealants too. Relegating my current lot to 'General' use.

So, where to buy from?

Last edited:

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I have the pack of 36 that Costco sell, i also have the cheap ones from Asad for wheels and crap jobs.

I also bought some fat ones from Euro car parts which come in a pack of 2.

Not a 320d
Decided I want to get more organised. Currently I have a set of plastic drawers, bottom drawer for Drying Towels, middle for Car Microfibres, top for 'general' microfibres and wheels etc.

I want to segrigate more per job, so will be ordering more drawers, colour coded microfibres etc.

Any recommendatons for Microfibres I can buy in bulk, that are good enough for Paint? Also going to buy fresh new ones for wheels, tyres and windows. Then Im tempted to have a few for polish, wax and sealants too. Relegating my current lot to 'General' use.

So, where to buy from?

Screwfix do a pack of 50 and itll cost you £25 delivered I think. Blue, short pile. Good enough for paint IMO and good for exhausts etc once used. I use them for detailing sprays, removing polish residue and washing up dishes with.

Something softer perhaps for applying detailing spray maybe removing residues.... Eurow Yellow http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0036PIYAO/?tag=cliospnet01-21

If you want long pile then its got to be the eurow shag piles.

Best 3 Microfibres out there available in bulk. Used them for about 5 years now.

It was probably the soft paint on the last car I did which turned out great with a green hex and 1-2 passes. As you say 1-2 isn't enough on normal med/hard paint, I realise my previous post might be a bit misleading.

Chap, that's nothing like the necessary amount of time/passes required for a DA. The polish will have barely got to work with four passes after you've spread it.

Have a look at the stickies for the "zenith technique" for more info.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
I've been reading up again on machine polishing and noticed that some of the pro's (and others) will use two polishes in one go e.g. A line of on polish and a line of another polish. What's the benefits of this? Is it something that will allow better results from a single stage polishing session?
gally JD Scrooge Yellow Dave

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
It's a waste of time mate IMO. The finer grade polish will hinder the work of the coarser one and the coarser one will always leave marks behind if it's on the pad.

Imagine having 1500grit paper in one hand and 1000 in the other. Sand one patch with the 1500 then go over with the 1000. It will leave 1000 grit marks regardless of the finish the 1500 left.

IF I have no chance to stick one stage of polish due to time I use Menz pf2500 with a less harsh pad. f**k mixing two.
MathewR

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Coby. Pug paint is on the softer side of medium, a little like ford from the few I played with, but not soft like jap / Italian paints.

MatthewR only time I've mixed is when I've added a blob of a proper polish when using something like rejuvenate with DA to help give a little more cut, not sure if it actually made a difference or not though. I've read of some of the more experienced detailers mixing compounds to reduce dusting or extend working times but not of it for the extra cut

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers Dave and Ant, I assumed it wouldn't necessarily be worthwhile to do.

Hope tomorrow is decent weather so I can have a play!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I mix now and again to help spreading. The likes of UF of Fast Cut is a must due to the dust and spreads so well.

I use 106fa with most menz polishes. 203s spreads nice on it's own tbf but 106 just melts into the paint.

Detailing has always been about different tastes and techniques.

RB 182
Snowfoam...What am I doing wrong?

I'm using AF Avalanche and filling the lance with about an inch of mixture and topping up with warm water. The setting is turned to minus and screwed hand tight but this is the thickest I can get it:

BD6D31DF-75B3-4860-B00A-06486FFDE10A_zpsn2bcbszy.jpg

It comes out of the lance a pure white but then as soon as it hits the car it just drips straight off :dapprove:

Any help is appreciated.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Snowfoam...What am I doing wrong?

I'm using AF Avalanche and filling the lance with about an inch of mixture and topping up with warm water. The setting is turned to minus and screwed hand tight but this is the thickest I can get it:

BD6D31DF-75B3-4860-B00A-06486FFDE10A_zpsn2bcbszy.jpg

It comes out of the lance a pure white but then as soon as it hits the car it just drips straight off :dapprove:

Any help is appreciated.

What lance are you using?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Pics of the lance. Also may need servicing. Looks like you're using the cheap PW mixing bottle.

RB 182
Ah right, so it's just a case of putting in more mixture? That's a bit of a relief, I didn't know what was going on.

The bottle says to put 1-2 inches in, is avalanche quite a weak snow foam or have they just underestimated how much is needed?!

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
My foam comes out like that. This is my lance:

yvybeban.jpg

No idea why. I have tried all dilution ratios imaginable :( Shouldnt need cleaning etc, used maybe 10 times and did this from new.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Avalanche is not the thickest of foams, it won't sit on the car like others but still cleans as well. I like avalanche and even with a poor pressure washer I get thicker than that.

Looking at what's on the floor it looks very watery. Have you experimented with the dilution knob on the top. Yu say you had it set all the way to -, have you tried all the way to + or in the middle?

RB 182
My foam comes out like that. This is my lance:

No idea why. I have tried all dilution ratios imaginable :( Shouldnt need cleaning etc, used maybe 10 times and did this from new.

Mine is brand new too, it is a bit weird. I hope I'm not missing something totally blatant but I don't think (I hope) I'm not.

Avalanche is not the thickest of foams, it won't sit on the car like others but still cleans as well. I like avalanche and even with a poor pressure washer I get thicker than that.

Looking at what's on the floor it looks very watery. Have you experimented with the dilution knob on the top. Yu say you had it set all the way to -, have you tried all the way to + or in the middle?

Yeah I had fiddle with it today and turning it to + makes it very weak, basically water and when in the middle is isn't as thick as when it's turned all the way to -, but still thicker than +.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Mine is brand new too, it is a bit weird. I hope I'm not missing something totally blatant but I don't think (I hope) I'm not.

Yeah I had fiddle with it today and turning it to + makes it very weak, basically water and when in the middle is isn't as thick as when it's turned all the way to -, but still thicker than +.

This will sound odd, but when you next use it, turn the lance on its side. I find I get thicker foam when its on its side than when its verticle

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Is there any benefit to using snow foam over a pre cleaner like citrus power? Or is it a case of preference?

Snow foam *generally* has a longer dwell time than a Citrus pre wash. Means you can go round and do door shuts etc whilst dwelling. And Snow Foam looks cool.

About it really lol

RB 182
This will sound odd, but when you next use it, turn the lance on its side. I find I get thicker foam when its on its side than when its verticle

Haha, it doesn't sound odd at all as I was doing this myself today. I was doing all sorts of weird things to try and get it to foam.

Still, I'd like to find out what the problem as I don't want to be a wasted present. Especially due to how excited I was when I received it.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
If turning the lance on its side affects the mix and gives you a thicker foam then there is an issue with your lance, almost like you're not getting the draw of foam up the feeder tube into the mixer

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Snow foam *generally* has a longer dwell time than a Citrus pre wash. Means you can go round and do door shuts etc whilst dwelling. And Snow Foam looks cool.

About it really lol

Ah thanks, sounds a bit overkill for me ATM though as I don't have any brushes yet. I usually do all the crevices later on before the final rinse of the car