ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Fiesta ST200
A more durable wax is a good shout. Zymol titanium or something similar.

The Zaino range is good for durability. As is the auto finesse range.

I do a similar amount of miles and my LSP is Auto Finesse Tough Coat. Seems to work well.

I'll check out the auto finesse range aswell then thanks!

Is your car white?
How do you find it after a week of similar miles, must be a nightmare?

I don't have time/time in daylight to wash it weekly unfortunately :-(.

I was hoping to move away from wax, my thought with Zaino was I can top it up with Z8 much quicker than re applying wax. (And would last longer than something such as carnuaba spritz). Maybe my logic is wrong here though.

I think I need fairly decent durability and very good sheeting as I cant wash it loads. Welcome to any other opinions too :)!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Ag hd wax with decent prep will last you 6months easy, resists dirt and contaminants quite well. General dirt after a hard week is unavoidable after that mileage, I do something similar and its more weather dependant. But at the end of the day the wax or sealant will prove itself when you come to wash it. If it's still working then all will simply wash off

Yeah true, it really is 100x times easier to clean whilst the Ag Hd is working.

Maybe i'm just looking for quicker ways to keep my car clean then?
(Asking for the impossible maybe).

Should I stick with pressure wash, quick wash 2BM, dry, and something like carnuaba spritz as a 'top up' as such when short on time.

Edit:
I've just seen Gally's post aswell, i'll go have a read.
Thanks for the replys so far!

Hmm read through the thread Gally, the 50/50 is great and definetly makes me think it's what I need.

However, it seems you have to be a detailing god to use it, anything similar but lots easier to use?....or does this just lead me back to Zaino?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
There are sealants like C1.5/wolf's etc that are easier but still nano mate.

CquartzUk though is possibly what would suit. Research it. It's for the Uk only and easier to work with.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
My car is currently protected by 3 coats of wolfs body wrap (full decontamination, machine polished, ipa, BW, 24h wait, BW, 2 hour wait, BW) and has been since march isn. Its still going strong after being washed at least every two weeks (if not once a week) with wolfs nano bathe, thats doing 300-400 miles a week.

Id recommend it to anyone really as its easy to apply if common sense is used and has lasted so fat 7 months. Once a month ill give it a quick spritz over with Wolfs nano QD to keep the sheeting up.

However for extra ease of use id probably go for Zaino Z2 (see Chris' 200 thread)

Ok i have a question: Im not satusfied with the amount of correction with my DA and foam pads (hex logic) so im looking at the megs mf pads. Now i already have menz 106fa, will this be good enough/ and how does it compare to the megs correction polish, D300 iirc?

Now i dont own a pdg and this is only for my car so im happy to go this far - although im very cautious. And i have been pratising alot with glazes with my DA and tried the 106fa twice on my bonnet, around 20 passes each time but only removed say 50% swirls, if that.

The answer is not always to look at a different system or higher cut - the first question would be as Dave and I were chatting about, i.e. your process/technique. How quickly are you moving the machine across the area? What size of area do you mask off and cover? How many passes? Once we get to the bottom of that, hopefully we'll be able to solve your issues and offer advice :)

My car gets dirty so fast, I do quite alot of miles so I guess I shouldn't be suprised.
But to wash it and it be really dirty a week later (which is 300 odd miles later) is just depressing after spending hours cleaning it.
My current LSP is AG HD, after a decent amount of preperation.

What else can I use that'll last longer? Do I have to go down the ceramic route?
Then I can quickly pressure wash it to freshen it up a little.

Considering the Zaino finishing kit, seems recommended by a lot of people. However, is this best for my needs?

Advise please?

SElf cleaning is a good shout for your needs and ceramic coatings are not quite as scary as they might sound. In fact, CQuartz UK is a fairly user friendly product in comparison to others out there. If you check out Gally's Puma thread on C1 and the self cleaning ability of these products, that should give you an answer.

AGHD is not a bad wax. It has good water properties and looks nice. Judging by your post, you are doing a lot of miles so a dirty car really is inevitable. Making it easy to clean really is the most you can do.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Lols! <3 thanks for replying to my text btw! :dapprove:

e92 330i
The answer is not always to look at a different system or higher cut - the first question would be as Dave and I were chatting about, i.e. your process/technique. How quickly are you moving the machine across the area? What size of area do you mask off and cover? How many passes? Once we get to the bottom of that, hopefully we'll be able to solve your issues and offer advice :)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6i_cPtLHQDw - proberbly sloghtly slower then this guy, watch it from 1 min.

Area - well i tape my clio bonnet into 4 sections.

Technique- Up down then side to side, around 10 times at the mo. Speed 6, white hex logic and 106fa.

Need a bit of help with regards to the finish on my cars paint at the moment, I spent a good 6 hours the other day cleaning and rotary polishing the car the other day.

White hex logic pad and a low cut mazerna polish just to get the light swirls out, end result was good I worked the polish right down hopefully, under a light the results where pretty good for a light polish, ipa'd after then waxed with 476 but as usual a day or two later and the direct suns on it and I get hologram type on the paint, it's not actually in the clear coat it's wipes away with a finger.

So I think I could do with a new very soft MF? Mine are a bit old tbh, any good drying aids I could get? Or what else am I doing wrong? I think it's just the towels

Car is quite dirty now but here's a pic

any4e6a9.jpg

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If the smears come off with your fingers, then you need new cloths. When mine get old they are terrible.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Short piles cloths ( like swissvax micro etc) are good for wax removal. Fluffy mf's are more for QD's I find.

It could be gassing from the wax, 476 is very solvent heavy and can leave marks on the paint as it starts gassing, especially with temperature change. Chilled water can help with gassing.

Either that or it's holograms from poor polishing. Even wiping the finger will just move the unbroken polish around. :)

Cheers everyone, I'll try a soft cloth later I've got one new one somewhere, I think it's my cloths they're old and never that great from new.

The polish was a light cut and I made sure I broke it down so hopefully a good clean will remove it.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I figured I'd hop in here rather than starting a new thread

Used ag Egp today for the first time... It seemed like I was using plenty of it; was splashing it on then working it in and then left it about an hour and a half before buffing off.

When I just came to buff it off it seems like it wasn't there. There seemed to be only a few places where if dried ready to buff off.

Its almost certainly user error so what was I doing wrong? Not using enough, not leaving it to dry long enough?

Not a 320d
Does AF crystal have a sealant in it?

Such the good glass cleaner, but I dont want it adding protection to my G1 or rain racer.

Not a 320d
Gally, do you have any advice regarding the Egp for me? :eek:

Bin it ;)

Apply with a microfibre applicator. Blue pearl from CYC for example. Wipe the surface ensuring a full and even coat, wait an hour then remove with a short pile MF cloth. Job done.

M2 Comp
Further to discussion earlier re. Brinkmann 'sun gun'. Having used it today, really not impressed!

Do not recommend anyone getting one at all. For the same price you can get some 500w flood lights.

Crumbs ^

I was playing around with my EP801 rotary today. I tried it on a door (actually on a car)
and the moment I started it up it spat polish literally everywhere. All over the bonnet :(
I thought maybe it was because I didn't have the pad flat flush on the door, but couldn't seem to work it out. Controlling a rotary is also much harder when the panel is vertical I found
What could I have done wrong ? :( . Other thought was too much polish, I'd only covered it by rubbing in with my finger to prime it though. Plus the door wasn't completely flat at any point, very slight curve.

Not a 320d
Just practice mate. Rotary has a lot more bite than a DA. Nothing to be ashamed of, im sure we've all done it in the beginning.

Use less polish. Also be mindful of how much pressure you apply, let the pad do the work to begin with then apply a little pressure if youre confident it needs it.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Too much polish is one thing. Once you do the 3 or 4 pea sized spots (after priming pad) either rub in with fingers or dab it over the panel in the area your working. 18x18 depending.

Also spend a minute spreading before upping any power. Lowest speed.

Practice on bonnet. Zero pressure and just keep the space small. Getting the pad primed is the tough bit. The pea sized amounts won't splatter.

I would say for a beginner, having used both, DA is much easier to start with.

Thanks for the tips guys, I have been practising on my spare bonnet, and getting good results with that, just wanted to try on a non horizontal surface - completely different ball game. I'll have another go today, see if I fare any better. What sort of angle do you guys sit at when doing the sides? Do you sit on a stool or anything? I was kneeling.

Got on much better polishing wise today, was just practice and getting the knack of controlling it on uneven surfaces.
Pretty sure it was just too much polish as to why it spat everywhere.

What spot pads should I buy for use with DA/Rotary, as my Hexlogic ones have disintegrated (Green,White,Black) ?
Stick with Hexlogic ones or are there better set for the 4" spot pad?