ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Hex are the most robust on the market mate. You must have done something seriously wrong!

Not a 320d
I never liked them for rotary. Something tells me youre applying too much pressure, although how your paintwork hasnt gotten all fucked up is strange.

Megane R26
The Hex spot pads seem to die quite quickly on a DA, and especially the Rupes LHR75E - I've killed two orange ones in the past month or so!!

Great pads though.

LY 182
Guys I need a fairly cheap wax. Talking around the £20 mark. I have a LY 182. I want something that will hopefully bring out some of the sparkle, but mostly I want something that will prove durable. I don't clean that often so I just want to get a couple months out of a wax as we approach that time of the year.

Suggestions appreciated.

Clio 182, Astra Sri
Guys I need a fairly cheap wax. Talking around the £20 mark. I have a LY 182. I want something that will hopefully bring out some of the sparkle, but mostly I want something that will prove durable. I don't clean that often so I just want to get a couple months out of a wax as we approach that time of the year.

Suggestions appreciated.

Sherbet fizz?

Or vics concours

e92 330i

Suggestions appreciated.

Auto finese temptation, vics, colli 476s, chemicals guys petes 53.

But if you want durability and ease - af tough coat is my new favourate.

Clio 182, Astra Sri
Lol just read the link, let's be honest, we are 1% of the nation that would disagree with those guys, can't win em all, we love detailing who cares what anyone else thinks

Golf GT & A4 Avant

Suggestions appreciated.

for durability, I couldn't fault autoglym HD wax on my LY182. can be difficult to apply and remove if over applied but typically is very good and can be found on line for £25. worth it IMO.

Staying with wax, looking good but not great on durability is Vics collectors yellow. looked lovely.

would you consider a sealant? AF tough coat or Zaino Z2 give great looks and durability

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Agree everything there Dave. HD is a superb wax.

Z2 and TC another 2 cracking products.

LY 182
for durability, I couldn't fault autoglym HD wax on my LY182. can be difficult to apply and remove if over applied but typically is very good and can be found on line for £25. worth it IMO.

Staying with wax, looking good but not great on durability is Vics collectors yellow. looked lovely.

would you consider a sealant? AF tough coat or Zaino Z2 give great looks and durability

Agree everything there Dave. HD is a superb wax.

Z2 and TC another 2 cracking products.

Thanks Dave and Gally.

Just reading up on the Z2 on CYC (I assume this is the right one - http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/zaino/z-2-pro-show-car-sealant/prod_466.html) Sounds like a brilliant product and at a decent price range too.

When you say would I consider a sealant, what are the pros and cons against a wax? Is it just a straight swap in the process?

Thanks.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Some people (me included) prefer to use a wax and also prefer the finish. I personally preferred the warm glow of a good wax that didn't mute the flake.

Russ has seen great results with LY and Z2. My views are that some sealants are more picky about the base that they go over, but Z2 and TC will be fine.

You would use a sealant instead of a wax, or some like to lay down sealant then wax on top for a little extra.

Clio 182, Astra Sri
Looking to get a decent trim product that will last well...

Gtechniq c4 seems to be the thing to get. But is it the same thing as c5? I've already got some of that...

Also, do I need to buff it like in their videos, I kind of like the glossy look lol, it'll probably crystallise all weird though if i dont buff it right?

LY 182

Some people (me included) prefer to use a wax and also prefer the finish. I personally preferred the warm glow of a good wax that didn't mute the flake.

Russ has seen great results with LY and Z2. My views are that some sealants are more picky about the base that they go over, but Z2 and TC will be fine.

You would use a sealant instead of a wax, or some like to lay down sealant then wax on top for a little extra.

Cheers for clarifying. I'm happy to give the Z2 a go.

I did the car a couple months ago with a clay, some AF Tripple and some Prima Banana Gloss. The durability of the Prima is pretty poor as I can tell now the car's beading looks pretty average.

I'll have to give the car a good clean and see if I can just whack a layer of Z2 straight over. It'll probably need some further prep first though no doubt. :eek:

Looking to get a decent trim product that will last well...

Gtechniq c4 seems to be the thing to get. But is it the same thing as c5? I've already got some of that...

Also, do I need to buff it like in their videos, I kind of like the glossy look lol, it'll probably crystallise all weird though if i dont buff it right?
It is the same, or it definitely works on rubbers and plastic for me.

It stays quite satin when buffed to be fair, I'd definitely buff it though to avoid what you have mentioned.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers for clarifying. I'm happy to give the Z2 a go.

I did the car a couple months ago with a clay, some AF Tripple and some Prima Banana Gloss. The durability of the Prima is pretty poor as I can tell now the car's beading looks pretty average.

I'll have to give the car a good clean and see if I can just whack a layer of Z2 straight over. It'll probably need some further prep first though no doubt. :eek:

Give it a fresh coat of Tripple mate to strip everything back a little and top with Z2 or TC. I would suggest TC just because it's getting colder and it's so easy to use. 3 layers in no time at all. Z2 is superb though.

LY+Z2... http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?652452-Some-LY-love

Clio 182, Astra Sri
Ok cool, I ask because I saw about gtechniq bottling the same product in with different labels. Wasn't sure which were the same

LY 182
Give it a fresh coat of Tripple mate to strip everything back a little and top with Z2 or TC. I would suggest TC just because it's getting colder and it's so easy to use. 3 layers in no time at all. Z2 is superb though.

LY+Z2... http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?652452-Some-LY-love

Cheers Gally. TC might be the more logical way to go thinking about it. As said I have the AF Tripple and also the AF Finale so the product range should compliment each other nicely.

LY 182
Any thoughts on Dodo Orange Crush? Sounds ideal for LY and easy enough to apply. I'm guessing it wouldn't really be a good winter wax though?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
No good for winter also colours need about 4-5 layers to make a difference. Marketing mostly.

Tripple and TC is a new wow combo like Srp-Egp years ago.

LY 182
Cheers Gally. Would you recommend doing 3 layers of TC or were you just using that as an example of how easy it is to apply?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
More an example. I always do 2 mate. You can top up bi-weekly though if you wish. :)

Fiesta ST200
ajuva5ut.jpg

The side of a puke coloured TVR after Tough Prep, Tripple and Tough Coat.

Reflection and great gloss.

Clio 182, Astra Sri
How can a glaze such as amigo fit in my winter detail plan?

I'm going for

Tought prep
Power seal
2x megs #16

Bit if its worth putting amigo in there, where would it go? Before power seal?? I'm worried power seal won't bond though

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
How can a glaze such as amigo fit in my winter detail plan?

I'm going for

Tought prep
Power seal
2x megs #16

Bit if its worth putting amigo in there, where would it go? Before power seal?? I'm worried power seal won't bond though

I'd leave it out and swap megs for Tough Coat if you have any. Good combos though. :)

Clio 182, Astra Sri
I'd leave it out and swap megs for Tough Coat if you have any. Good combos though. :)

I haven't got any tough coat, tried it though., power seal performs really well, if not better than tough coat IMO

I want the performance of a good sealant with the deep wet of a wax

I'm properly set on PS and #16 as a combo this year

Just wondered if prima would add amything

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Just better with Tough Prep on clean paint mate for the winter. Durability over looks. Fire some 16 over the top and admire. :)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah it is mate sorry. I was talking about using Amigo aswell that's all.

TP+PW will work great mate.

Clio 182, Astra Sri
I did this combo as a test on my bonnet.

Did a little video, I think I'll be doing the whole car for definite!

Megs16Beading.mp4