ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Not a 320d
I assume you keep them damp for the dirty jobs

Not for things like wax and polish removal

No mate. I have 4 Uber yellow which I use for company cars and 2 Mammoths. I wash them in the washer with no detergent and the machine spins f**k out of them so they are not far off dry, but still damp (You couldnt ring water from them in this state). Then I put them in a clear container with a lid on so they stay damp until I next use them. The reason I do that is because I find they work better damp than they do when completely dried out. I also avoid detergents because they degrade the microfiber and if using powder based detergents (which my family does) particles can become lodged in the cloth and cause marring.

Smaller cloths (Eurow Detailers Pref. yellow, and Shagpile, or short pile cloths like those supplied by Gtechniq) used for wax, polishing, dirty work like exhausts I wash using the same method, although I let those dry on the line, the radiator or airer.

Extreme, but Ive always believed since owning a black car that drying towels are the number one cause of damage. I treat the drying towels better than I do the car! Treat the drying towels well, use a two bucket technique and wash the car thoroughly and youll keep swirls to an absolute minimum.

I also change my cloths regularly. Uber yellow are replaced once every 6 months. Thats £80 a year on drying towels. Not sure how long ill keep the mammoths as Ive only been using them a few weeks.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Would I be right in thinking using them damp would reduce friction, as a type of lubricants as some would use a drying aid? Something I've always wondered

Not a 320d
Heres a question - winter prep.

Option 1:

Full decontamination, full machine polish with P1, apply C1, top up with C1.5 over winter months. (Bearing in mind C1 is f**king s**t on Clio paint when it comes to water behavior).

Option 2:

Full decontamination, full machine polish with P1, apply C1.5 over winter when required (like every god damm wash).

Option 3:

Full decontamination, full machine polish with P1, apply FK1000p (2-3 coats over a short time period).

Option 4:

Full decontamination, AF Tripple By hand, FK1000p.

What do?

Car needs a polish really, has slight marring and dead clear in places. However at some point half the car will be resprayed but I dont know when yet, key marks, kick marks and a strike through. So will require polishing again no doubt.

Not a 320d
Would I be right in thinking using them damp would reduce friction, as a type of lubricants as some would use a drying aid? Something I've always wondered

Not sure, I suppose so. I do prefer the feel of a damp cloth to a dry one.....when moving it across the paintwork.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Do you need a pressure washer to use Iron X? Or would a normal hose safely remove residue?

And what would people recommended as decent winter prep without a machine polisher? Something that will be durable.

Cheers.

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
You don't need a pressure washer as such mate. I always snow foam after using iron x & Tardis to make sure it's all gone though.

Not a 320d
Do you need a pressure washer to use Iron X? Or would a normal hose safely remove residue?

And what would people recommended as decent winter prep without a machine polisher? Something that will be durable.

Cheers.

Prep Properly. (PPPPPP). Clay, iron X etc.

use something like AF Tripple or Super Resin Polish to clean the paint then topped with something durable of your choice. FK1000p for example. Could take it one step further and invest in something like AF tough coat or Zaino Z8 so you can quickly re apply over winter.......

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Indeed. The only reason I prefer Prime normal is it's a tad more user friendly I find. Great cleanser!

Having been out of the detailing scene for a while and having a nice new sliver car i want to give it some winter protection.

I currently have Werkstat Carnauba Jett is a few coats of this ok or should i invest in another wax/sealant. Recommendations for sliver? budget wise around £30

AF Temptation, AGHD Wax, FK1000p, C1.5 or TC?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
3 layers of jett will be fine mate, I really like the stuff, for winter AG HD will be more durable and bead better.

Jett layers for the summer for that nice look, or even base layer of AG HD and 2 layers of Jett.

Cheers Aucky may take you up on that.

How does Bouncers 22 compare to AGHD wax, is it more for looks than durability?

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
TBH I've not used AG HD for a couple of years now but from memory HD is more of a typical wam-ish waxy look whereas bouncers is really blingy and reflective.

B22 looks great on Silver. I also have both of these if you want to try lol.

As for durability, Jay (TheBouncer) had a report from a foreign customer of it lasting right through a norweigan winter or something.

Mini JCW
Picked up the R26 last night, after closer inspection today it seems to have seen paint at some point in it's life :(

The gold flake should look good when I rid the swirls and RDSs though :)

Not a 320d
What products are recommended for white cars?

Whatever you want and suits your budget matey!

Clean the paint first using clay, followed by a paintwork cleaner (Auto Finesse tripple is a great one) then top with a Wax or sealant of your choice. Assuming were talking about flat white, I wouldn't worry about which wax you buy too much. Fk1000p, AG HD wax, Zymol carbon are a few to list with different prices. Theres many more to choose from.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
silver, whites, light colours etc it all relies on the prep to decontaminate the paint.

look into tar and iron removers after wasing before claying, then all as Toby said

1.8 Civic EX
going to place an order later for some Z2 and Z8 (at last!)

Any suggestions on pads/cloths to apply and remove both?

Also with Z8 is it literally spray on/wipe off or is it, spray on/work in/leave/wipe off

Clio 182, Astra Sri
With z8, I spray onto a foam applicator, spread over the whole panel, leave for ten seconds then buff it off

Wether that's the right way or not I don't know

Fiesta ST200
I use one microfibre. One side for spreading it then one side for buffing.

It then seems ones the cloth is slightly damp on one side you don't need to spray any more onto any panels. That is normally right at the end of the car though.

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
About to put an order through, but I'm struggling to decide which wax to use for winter. AF Temptation or DJ B22. Any recommendations?

And I don't suppose anyone had a discount code for polishedbliss? :eek: Thanks.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
No discount codes mate as free delivery. Personally i'd look at something more robust but out the 2 i'd go for Bouncer's. 22.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
What's your budget as already said wouldn't choose either for winter. At that price I'd be looking at a sealant or AG HD wax or the usual colli / fk wax sealant hybrids

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
Ah, makes sense then. I'll be using AF TC too though, I just want to try something different really. Any other suggestions mate?

I already have FK1000p and AG HD Dave. Could use one of those I suppose.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
In that case a couple of coats of tough coat topped with temptation or just 2coats of hd or fk on there own

Oh, and whilst you're ordering from PB, I'll have 5l of lather shampoo ;)

Last edited:

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Ok, i seem to be backwards - through summer i have rocked wolfs body wrap. However yesterday i had the urge to wax my car, so out came the machine polisher and i ended up enhancing the paintwork, then amigo'ing, then swissvax shield.

Im looking for a quick detailer which will in no way effect how the wax performs.

I was thinking perhaps Zaino Z6?

Clio 182, Astra Sri
I find af finale to be very good at reviving the original wax coat and it doesn't affect water behaviour at all

Very good QD IMO

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I would agree finale doesnt really affect the beading of the original wax all that much, z6 on the other hand really brought back Glasur but without its sheeting so figured it left something of its own behind