ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Luckily I have my unit to hideaway in when I'm paint perving, although when my car was delivered and I was walking round with it with an led lamp my neighbours were all looking at me strange lol

BG Clio 182
Luckily I have my unit to hideaway in when I'm paint perving, although when my car was delivered and I was walking round with it with an led lamp my neighbours were all looking at me strange lol
Hahaha I wish I had that luxury lol. Eh dear, the looks I get when I snowfoam my car. The other day the old guy over the road and said "woah f**k dude you're sanding your paint" I was like it's a sealant on a f**king finishing pad you prick lol.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I didn't realise they'd made another formula from the new release in 2014 with the grey tinted bottles.

I hadn't noticed hardly difference apart from slightly less smeary.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
The date will be printed on the bottle. Seems they've simply tried to make it fool proof with no smears no matter how ham fisted you are.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
there's a group buy on DW, works out as free postage so put my name down as I've almost finished my 2014 bottle.

Will report back if there's any noticeable changes

Need some new stuff, few questions!

Looking at getting the CarPro Cquartz Wool Wash Mitt - anything better for similar money?
Any rivals to Hydro2 - ran out so need to top up? I did see some stuff about Gyeon, but never used any of their products personally, meant to have one similar to GT C2v3?

I saw a lot of people talking about Sonax BSD as a LSP - any benefit applying over Hydro2 or just stick with that? Essentially after a good finish with a nice shine, that lasts. I have my trusty old waxes if need be, but imo prefer sealants atm, certainly last longer!

And, Shampoo-wise - still worth going for Dodo Juice BTBM, or any alternatives? Again for similar money.

just-that-ek

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane R26
@Addicted in terms of shampoo give sonus gloss shampoo I rate it higher then my Gtechniq and car Chem which are sat gathering dust. Suds really good, nice glossy feel/finish after a simple wash. Plus for £8 it's a bargain

It's defiantly the best shampoo I've used to date IME

863f13cc56794dd62d08eba226336219.jpg

Simple wash and dry

Golf GT & A4 Avant
@Addicted
The carpro mitt is one of the best IMO, fractionally cheaper is the flexipads version

Gyeon wet coat is so similar in many ways in relation to application and removal, performance and issues if you get it wrong, other than it comes pre diluted instead of neat but prices for 100ml of Hydr02 and 500ml of wetcoat are pretty similar. If you use a lot of it buying 5litres halves the price to £9 a litre instead of £10 for 500ml. Nanloex do a similar one with washcoat. Doesn't appear to have the same potential issues with the staining but doesn't last quite as long and is more expensive IIRC

BSD does have a certain level of lasting protection so could be used in that sense, but using it for protection I'd probably chose reload or C2 instead unless on a budget

Shampoos, I still buy AF Lather in litre bottles and split it with friends. Works for us and makes it significantly cheaper than BTBM and works as well IMO. Wolfs chemicals makes a nice one but can't remember the name, maybe white satin? or Meguiars Gold class is still a favourite and ideal with the halfords 3for2

Cheers for the reply @Yellow Dave

I actually have Reload, as I have CQuartz but I had issues with hazing etc during the application so had to machine polish it off, I'll look into potentially re-applying it, or just using Reload, I have 2 bottles of it :)

Yeah been looking at Lather, I'll look into prices and go for that or Dodo Juice, I also hear alot of positives with Gold Class, so it may even come down to that too :)

Decisions decisions!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I have had reload smear on a few colours but its more visible on darker colours but that seems to relate more to weather and humidity than application. I tries applying as the carpro demo video and massively over sprayed it on the bonnet, looked awful! recently mixed reload with BSD and applies quite nicely. will try it with BSD and C2 next. If you are wanting a spray on wipe off sealant maybe look into one of the sonax aerosols. not the nicest to use but quick and easy to use and strong performers. Polymer net shield wont struggle with 6 months protection and I do quite high mileage and get them nice and muddy

Pearce

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
Hmm, what's fussy about it? Clean it with the cleaner, then apply the coating, job done :smile: Apply more times for a more longer lasting effect. It's always been easy to apply when I've applied it personally :smile:

Application curing time I'm only goin off what I've read mate

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
CarPro Forte has no cure and removal time. Wipe on 3 layers over say 15 minutes and walk away. Been very impressed and is a genuine G1 rival unlike others.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
If you don't mind re applying maybe once a month/6 weeks, use something like Carpro reload or Gtechniq C2 on the glass. It does suffer from wiper degradation but last pretty well for how easy it is to use

Gtechniq can be a little fussy in the way you won't know you've applied it wrong until it rains and you use the wipers, but generally its an amazing product. G5 is less fussy but not as long lasting. I wasn't impressed by FlyBy30, but not tried Forte. Angelwax H2go is another wipe on wipe off product but only a few weeks durability.

Mini GP2
Anyone recommend a good wheel sealant, ideally sub £15... thinking of going for Chemical Guys wheel guard, read some great reviews on it but just interested to hear people's thoughts on here. Not a big fan of Natty'sPaste/Poorboy's products.

just-that-ek

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane R26
Anyone recommend a good wheel sealant, ideally sub £15... thinking of going for Chemical Guys wheel guard, read some great reviews on it but just interested to hear people's thoughts on here. Not a big fan of Natty'sPaste/Poorboy's products.
Why not just stick your car wax on the wheels.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Stay clear of smartwax rimwax, pointless product IMO. not tried many wheel waxes but bouncers looking sweet and autofinesse mint rims seems to manage a couple of months. If you've got the gear to clean them properly, I can only really recommend the use of a nano sealant such as GTechniq C5 wheel armour if its your own wheels. Although a little over budget, it lasts for 18months + in a single application and you no longer need to use proper wheel cleaners, only shampoo

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Stay clear of smartwax rimwax, pointless product IMO. not tried many wheel waxes but bouncers looking sweet and autofinesse mint rims seems to manage a couple of months. If you've got the gear to clean them properly, I can only really recommend the use of a nano sealant such as GTechniq C5 wheel armour if its your own wheels. Although a little over budget, it lasts for 18months + in a single application and you no longer need to use proper wheel cleaners, only shampoo

I think I am going to get some of that , sounds great. Ive got some brand new alloys that I will be using it on. Do you think there would be any problems with wheel weights not sticking to the alloy after applying the C5. (I havent put tyres on the alloys yet or had them balanced etc.)

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Wheel weights stick just fine, even with a pressure washer aimed directly at them, it just makes removing the sticky backing much easier when they're re balanced

Reactions: Gus

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I lolled....

Funny day at Miracle Detail aka Top gear track - no clarkson and no more Rupes at Miracle Detail :)

No more rupes. ... someone must have made a bigger offer. As I said years ago, the man is a marketing machine anything he says is lead by ££££

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I need to get a festool, the wenches cousin owns a tiling company and he's had his years, they get serious abuse polishing marble!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Their warranty etc is second to none also with replacement machines etc. Their DA is brilliant as are all their tools. We have a smallish sanding one with dust extraction and it's never failed over the years.