ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Just like Gyeon surely? Isn't that roughly 8:1 Hydro anyway.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Wetcoat and original hydr02 I thought performed very similar. The price per litre lite is cheaper, but buying bulk 4 or 5 litres wetcoat is a fraction cheaper. So if lite is as good as original hydr02 it's going to be poplar, more so as it can be used on a dry panel with spray on wipe off.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Hydro is spray on wipe off also. I did it as a trial on a Puma a while back. Lasted at least 4 months before I sold the car.

Hydro2 undiluted is potent stuff though Dave. I'm not sure what's cheaper. A bottle of wet coat or the same ml of diluted Hydro2?

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
Wife has just bought a 2004 beetle convertible that has some moss/mould on the fabric roof. Was owned my an older lady who had some trees overhanging her drive.

I got hold of one of those autoglym roof kits and while its rejuvenated the colour of the roof its not really shifted a lot of mould.

I've seen plenty of other products that are recommended but I'm thinking of getting a local detailing outfit to have a go at it. Before I do that I was wondering if I could try a domestic steam cleaner that I have on it. Or would that be a very bad idea.

Cheers.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Wife has just bought a 2004 beetle convertible that has some moss/mould on the fabric roof. Was owned my an older lady who had some trees overhanging her drive.

I got hold of one of those autoglym roof kits and while its rejuvenated the colour of the roof its not really shifted a lot of mould.

I've seen plenty of other products that are recommended but I'm thinking of getting a local detailing outfit to have a go at it. Before I do that I was wondering if I could try a domestic steam cleaner that I have on it. Or would that be a very bad idea.

Cheers.
Very bad, the hopd will shrink/stretch.

If it's green mould, then some normal All purpose cleaner (g101 etc) will clean it up. Spray it on, let it soak for a good 15 minutes (not in the sun) and pressure wash it all.

If it's black mould, then baby sterilising fluid is the only thing I've found that will get it off.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S

If it's green mould, then some normal All purpose cleaner (g101 etc) will clean it up. Spray it on, let it soak for a good 15 minutes (not in the sun) and pressure wash it all.

If it's black mould, then baby sterilising fluid is the only thing I've found that will get it off.

Cheers Dan there's bits of both black and green. I have heard of the sterilising fluid method before but not tried it yet.

I've also read that you shouldn't pressure wash the hood? Although someone has done it previously.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've pressure washed roofs for about 15 years, never had an issue yet.

If you're only using a karcher type pressure washer, and not a boiling hot 2000psi industrial washer, you'll be absolutely fine.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S

I've pressure washed roofs for about 15 years, never had an issue yet.

If you're only using a karcher type pressure washer, and not a boiling hot 2000psi industrial washer, you'll be absolutely fine.

Cheers I'll give it a go. Thanks for your help.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Cheers I'll give it a go. Thanks for your help.
Obviously don't hold the washer right up against the roof. Just be sensible really.

If it's particularly green in places, once you soak it in cleaner, scrub it with a brush before rinsing.

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Wetcoat and original hydr02 I thought performed very similar. The price per litre lite is cheaper, but buying bulk 4 or 5 litres wetcoat is a fraction cheaper. So if lite is as good as original hydr02 it's going to be poplar, more so as it can be used on a dry panel with spray on wipe off.

I agree, I noticed no difference between Wetcoat and Hydr02. It's Been a while since I've used Hydr02 though...

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Hydr02 is mixed 1:3 isn't it so 100ml makes 400ml of product at £12 for a 100ml bottle direct from carpro. Wetcoat is £10 for 500ml from i4d so not much of a difference. I'd be happy choosing both of them dependant on who stocks what from where I'm next ordering

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I'd probably say Wet coat was at best 5:1 strength. So compare Hydro at 5:1 cost wise is it the same.

The only reason I like Hydro and I do have a bottle of wet coat is I know what I'm diluting it at. Wetcoat could be 10:1 from concentrate for all we know.

Let's be honest. If it last 2-3 months at most you'll be over the moon. I'll do a test on a works car with Hydro at 10:1 oe something.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
What else is good for a black car guys? I have AF illusion and black hole. Just a cheapish glaze as it's by hand?
16644553978_6dd327cb76_c.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7287/16644553978_6dd327cb76_c.jpg
Had another go with the black hole and sealed with fair results this weekend. Just doesn't seem to last long? That's sealed with C2V3

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
What else is good for a black car guys? I have AF illusion and black hole. Just a cheapish glaze as it's by hand?
16644553978_6dd327cb76_c.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7287/16644553978_6dd327cb76_c.jpg
Had another go with the black hole and sealed with fair results this weekend. Just doesn't seem to last long? That's sealed with C2V3

Is the car completely decontaminated and then cleansed (not washed but proper cleansed ie AF rejuvenate or DJ line prone etc) for a good bond for your Glaze and LSP?

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Is the car completely decontaminated and then cleansed (not washed but proper cleansed ie AF rejuvenate or DJ line prone etc) for a good bond for your Glaze and LSP?
Umm no. It's been washed and clayed. That's it. Teach me..

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Wash
Tar Remover
Fallout Remover
Wash
Clay
Cleanse - ie AF Rejuvenate etc.

Properly clean base for your Glaze and LSP to sit on.

You'll be surprised how much dirt is still on/in the paint even after a thorough decon, A good cleanse pulls even more dirt from the paint.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Carpro iron x and tar x are pretty decent performers, but most man'f have their own fallout and tar removers like autofinesse and dodojuice. Using these when you re wax should remove the need to clay each time and only clay maybe once a year.

I'd recommend once a year after claying use a good pre wax cleanser like AF rejuvenate as they really help to pull a lot of dirt out of the paint when used with a microfibre applicator. I like lime prime more for the oily wet finish it leaves but not found it clean as well as rejuvenate. Then just stick to oily or filler heavy glazes and top with a nice glossy wax, using c2 ever so often to maintain protection

Managed to get a fresh coat of Hydro2 on over the weekend, and put some more GTechniq glass sealant on all windows as well.

Looked absolutely mint coming out of work and seeing the awesome beading of what was left, most of the water had ran off. Really can't beat it imo for the ease of application.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Please tell me I'm not the only one to f this up?!!!!
I can't.

My remark was aimed at Lawro as I borrowed some from him about 14 years ago and I keep forgetting to drop it back to him. Because I'm a c**t.

BG Clio 182
My mate has just bought a black corsa and there's some horrendous buffer trails in it. I presume this is from incorrect use of a rotary polisher.

I have a DAS 6 pro and the autofinesse revitalise kit with the 3 step and pad system. I also have triple and Lime Prime and black hole.

Is there anything I can do here to get these out or improve the look as it's f**king dreadful :/

I also don't have a PDG

Golf GT & A4 Avant
If its just holograms then using a finish pad and something like tripple, lime prime or blackhole with your DAS6 should remove them

BG Clio 182
If its just holograms then using a finish pad and something like tripple, lime prime or blackhole with your DAS6 should remove them
Ah should it? they're like trails it looks f**king horrendous. I'll try triple first then lol, would cutting down deeper with a more aggressive polish be better do you think?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
the least aggressive the better. Ive removed holograms with a DA and tripple followed by an IPA wipedown after to confirm they were removed and not hidden.

If its more than just holograms and damage inflicted from an aggressive polish then you might need to use a proper polish like the revitalise polishes to remove.

BG Clio 182
the least aggressive the better. Ive removed holograms with a DA and tripple followed by an IPA wipedown after to confirm they were removed and not hidden.

If its more than just holograms and damage inflicted from an aggressive polish then you might need to use a proper polish like the revitalise polishes to remove.
Right I've got ya mate.

I'll just stab at it on a finishing pad with triple and see where I get!

what percentage of IPA to water do you use?