ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Hxrry

so-wax.com
ClioSport Trader
Snowfoam v3 is imminent, so with that I'm doing deals on the predecessor. Lots of happy people with this formula, just got some tweaks in the new formula for even longer dwell times (amongst other changes) - So grab a bargain for less than a fiver!

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Snowfoam v3 is imminent, so with that I'm doing deals on the predecessor. Lots of happy people with this formula, just got some tweaks in the new formula for even longer dwell times (amongst other changes) - So grab a bargain for less than a fiver!

Used your interior dressing for the first time this weekend mate, really nice stuff. Easy to use, gave plastics some real depth but not at all slimy. Great product

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup

The 1:9 dilution ratio, is that what you mix into the bottle attachment of the snow foam lance, or is that what it needs to be when it exits the pressure washer?

I've been using Bilt Hamber recently and I'm mixing roughly 35-40% product to 60-65% water in the bottle attachment, then adjusting the dial to suit what I want

Hxrry

so-wax.com
ClioSport Trader
The 1:9 dilution ratio, is that what you mix into the bottle attachment of the snow foam lance, or is that what it needs to be when it exits the pressure washer?

I've been using Bilt Hamber recently and I'm mixing roughly 35-40% product to 60-65% water in the bottle attachment, then adjusting the dial to suit what I want

It's a rough math because people love numbers! In the real world I use 30-40ml snowfoam with 300ml of warm water, thats more than enough to cover most sized cars.

Noob here looking for a product to remove oxidation from white (single stage ?) paint.

I went over a panel with super resin polish and it has improved it slightly, however now rather than a chalky flat roof I have a mix of shine, oxidation and a finish that looks like polish that has dried, although that’s not the case I removed it immediately.

Wish I’d not bothered 😂

I’d like to sort it this week, so wanting something I can get from Halfords or Amazon.

Contenders are:

G3 Pro Colour Restorer
G3 Advanced Liquid Com
Maguires Ultimate Compound

I have a cheapy machine polisher that I’ve never used which I can have a stab at. Alternatively not afraid of hand polishing.

Clio 2.0 138hp
Noob here looking for a product to remove oxidation from white (single stage ?) paint.

I went over a panel with super resin polish and it has improved it slightly, however now rather than a chalky flat roof I have a mix of shine, oxidation and a finish that looks like polish that has dried, although that’s not the case I removed it immediately.

Wish I’d not bothered 😂

I’d like to sort it this week, so wanting something I can get from Halfords or Amazon.

Contenders are:

G3 Pro Colour Restorer
G3 Advanced Liquid Com
Maguires Ultimate Compound

I have a cheapy machine polisher that I’ve never used which I can have a stab at. Alternatively not afraid of hand polishing.
Out of that selection id go with the Megs stuff purely because ive seen it work pretty well. The one thing you wanna watch for is residue control. If its single stage paint that heavily oxidised your pads will clog pretty fast. Either blow them out or use a pad brush after each set. Id recommend watching some of Ammo NYCs videos, he's done a few about clearing up single stage paint that are actually decent. Things like doing a 'mow down' pass to remove the bulk of the oxidation to avoid clogging pads up.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
IMG_20211113_124405.jpg
IMG_20211113_124411.jpg
IMG_20211113_133700.jpg
IMG_20211113_145043.jpg

Give it a blast. That one seems popular albeit with a smaller backing plate and pad.

The one that came with it is bloody huge, so I did buy a smaller one and backing plate. Not got a lot to lose, I’ll give it a tickle and see what happens.
Very difficult to photograph flat white paint, especially under artificial light. It’s 23 year old Peugeot white.

FF416CA8-E2DB-4184-A40F-A5899631BA8D.jpeg

This is the roof after going over it a couple of times. Was totally Matt before.

50D0341E-4F0F-4BDB-8D44-5D7085A6CB0D.jpeg

Contrast showing where the handle hasn’t faded, nor has most of the lower side. It’s the roof bonnet and typical horizontal surfaces that have suffered over the years.

86817382-F63B-47D8-889B-1DEF36E08545.jpeg

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
You know the ratios are ridiculous when a product turns up with a syringe to measure it out 😂

A8B46FA8-8D7A-4AC6-B312-7A04A999201A.jpeg

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Question.

I now have a pressure washer to use at home so want to use a product I’ve had my eye on for a while - CarPro Hydrofoam.

It’s my first time using a detergent bottle with a pressure washer, and the bottle for mine works on a (Bosch claim) 3:1 dilution ratio. Now Carpro recommend a 9:1 dilution ratio so obviously to me that would suggest that I need to fill the detergent bottle 1/3 product and 2/3 water to hit 9:1.

But I just wanted to check that I’m not massively overthinking it, and that you just fill the detergent bottle 1/9th with product because all pressure washers are the same and that’s already taken care of and I’d be massively overloading it with product if I did 1/3.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Question.

I now have a pressure washer to use at home so want to use a product I’ve had my eye on for a while - CarPro Hydrofoam.

It’s my first time using a detergent bottle with a pressure washer, and the bottle for mine works on a (Bosch claim) 3:1 dilution ratio. Now Carpro recommend a 9:1 dilution ratio so obviously to me that would suggest that I need to fill the detergent bottle 1/3 product and 2/3 water to hit 9:1.

But I just wanted to check that I’m not massively overthinking it, and that you just fill the detergent bottle 1/9th with product because all pressure washers are the same and that’s already taken care of and I’d be massively overloading it with product if I did 1/3.
Step 1 - Breathe.

Step 2 - Begin sobbing

Step 3 - You need to calculate your PIR (Panel Impact Ratio). Ill be fucked if I know as ive never ever done it. Theres quite a few 'tutorials' on Detailingworld. Usually ill smack in 2 fingers (wheeey) worth of product and then top the bottle up to nearly full. You can then dial in your lance from there. If its like shaving foam or you're getting tonnes of Sio2 spots, dial it back. If the beading isnt great or you're getting pissy foam, turn that baaaaaby upppp.

HTH XOXO

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Question.

Yeah it's just a rough guide mostly.

Just divide the capacity of your bottle by 10 (which is the total of the parts 9 & 1... quick maffs)

Then put that much product in and the rest water.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Step 1 - Breathe.

Step 2 - Begin sobbing

Step 3 - You need to calculate your PIR (Panel Impact Ratio). Ill be fucked if I know as ive never ever done it. Theres quite a few 'tutorials' on Detailingworld. Usually ill smack in 2 fingers (wheeey) worth of product and then top the bottle up to nearly full. You can then dial in your lance from there. If its like shaving foam or you're getting tonnes of Sio2 spots, dial it back. If the beading isnt great or you're getting pissy foam, turn that baaaaaby upppp.

HTH XOXO
The detergent bottle is matched to the pressure washer (It's a Bosch Fontus battery powered one) and gives the dilution ratio for a particular setting on the pressure washer. It doesn't have any adjustment, it just has 'you turn your pressure washer on medium, it gives you 3:1, you work out the rest', so I don't think I need to worry about pressure or flow rates, just what dilution I need in the bottle to get my final ratio.
Yeah it's just a rough guide mostly.

Just divide the capacity of your bottle by 10 (which is the total of the parts 9 & 1... quick maffs)

Then put that much product in and the rest water.
Wouldn't that just end up as a 27:1 ratio though?

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
The detergent bottle is matched to the pressure washer (It's a Bosch Fontus battery powered one) and gives the dilution ratio for a particular setting on the pressure washer. It doesn't have any adjustment, it just has 'you turn your pressure washer on medium, it gives you 3:1, you work out the rest', so I don't think I need to worry about pressure or flow rates, just what dilution I need in the bottle to get my final ratio.

Ah, right. In that case, full scale panic mode.

Just kidding

You still need to work out your PIR if you're wanting to be accurate. Do you use snow foam in it at all or is this a first time run?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member

It's what's in the bottle that counts.

Not sure how the machine can deliver a 3:1 ratio.

If it's a litre bottle, stick 100ml in or 50ml in a 500ml bottle.

See how it goes

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Ah, right. In that case, full scale panic mode.

Just kidding

You still need to work out your PIR if you're wanting to be accurate. Do you use snow foam in it at all or is this a first time run?
First time. I’m not concerned about accurate, just not wildly wrong
It's what's in the bottle that counts.

Not sure how the machine can deliver a 3:1 ratio.

If it's a litre bottle, stick 100ml in or 50ml in a 500ml bottle.

See how it goes
This is the bottle lol
0EF40268-59D8-4D20-A08C-31D718A2EC1D.jpeg

It just sucks up a bit with a venturi feed hence the 3:1 on the machine. I have seen videos of it making decent foam but I just want to get it right. Guess I’ll have to test though

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Nice. Even turned up with 6 triggers too for the bottles. Not sure how much of any of these I will use, but for £16 it was worth a punt.
DSC_9909.JPG
DSC_9911.JPG

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Any recommendations for pads and polish for a newbie? Got a 5" & 3" backing plate for the DA8.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Green quantum hex pad.

Merzerna 3500/3800.

Chemical guys quantum white polish pad.

That green finishing polish, try that.

Lake Country yellow ccs pad.

Koch h8 or 9 compound.

Sonax bsd.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Green quantum hex pad.

Merzerna 3500/3800.

Chemical guys quantum white polish pad.

That green finishing polish, try that.

Lake Country yellow ccs pad.

Koch h8 or 9 compound.

Sonax bsd.

Thanks bud. Slims Detailing seems reasonable prices or should I be shopping elsewhere?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Try country detailing and in2detailing. Both have promo codes iirc, usually 10%

This is great to use as a finishing polish. The compound is decent but would pick h9 by koch.

Screenshot_20220610_211132_com.android.chrome.jpg

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I've just had my house windows cleaned by a professional cleaner who used a vessel.
Now I'm tempted for my car.
Found this local and cheap.
Can I keep it outside?

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
I've just had my house windows cleaned by a professional cleaner who used a vessel.
Now I'm tempted for my car.
Found this local and cheap.
Can I keep it outside?

My vessell is one of the best things ive bought detailing wise (when it works!)

I had problems with my little 5L one which I then gave to @TheEvilGiraffe and I think he managed to fix it.

I have almost exactly the same as the one you linked and its been flawless but I did buy it brand new filled already. After you've bought the resin, it wont be far off the price I paid for a new filled one (circa £90) and you know its just going to work.

Either way, go for it. Its a brilliant bit of kit.

In regards to keeping it outside - possibly. They shouldnt really get too hot as it can degrade the resin more quickly. On the other end of things, if it gets too cold it can split the plastic vessell if the water inside freezes and expands. I keep mine in the garage in a nice set up, wall mounted with my wall mounted PW. Works brilliantly.

Reactions: riz