ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Never knew that. Maybe that's why mine degraded quite quickly then? Although, even when turned upside down, it probably never fully got all the water out so would have still retained some dampness I supposed.

Best to just leave it full of water?

It's just what i read on the Vyair website.

How quick would you say it degraded and what brand of resin was it? Was it 115 or 151?

Are you in a hard water area?

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
@JamesBryan

Im sure Leeds will reply on that one but ill jump in too.

I bought a 25L bag and it was absolutely w**k within 48 hours of being opened. I even taped it back up pretty securely but nope, it was a gonner. £85 down the drain.

Seriously, heed my advice - only buy what you need :)

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
@JamesBryan

Im sure Leeds will reply on that one but ill jump in too.

I bought a 25L bag and it was absolutely w**k within 48 hours of being opened. I even taped it back up pretty securely but nope, it was a gonner. £85 down the drain.

Seriously, heed my advice - only buy what you need :)

That's mad!

Just a bit s**t when they sell in quantities that don't match the vessel size.

Oh 11L vessel... Here's 10L sir 😂

A few places do sell by the litre, although it probably works out costing more.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
That's mad!

Just a bit s**t when they sell in quantities that don't match the vessel size.

Oh 11L vessel... Here's 10L sir 😂

A few places do sell by the litre, although it probably works out costing more.
Exactly that! I always found that s**t too.

I think, IIRC, you can get away with putting 10L in an 11L one. Wont be ideal but it will work and saves you paying the million quid for that last 1L

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Exactly that! I always found that s**t too.

I think, IIRC, you can get away with putting 10L in an 11L one. Wont be ideal but it will work and saves you paying the million quid for that last 1L

Got some on eBay 10L+1L of Tulsion brand mb115 off eBay. Would have preferred Indion resin mb151 but it's like hen's teeth.

£63

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
It's just what i read on the Vyair website.

How quick would you say it degraded and what brand of resin was it? Was it 115 or 151?

Are you in a hard water area?
I say it degraded quickly, but it probably didn’t in reality. I bought the vessel with resin already in it second hand so no idea what was in it tbh.

Water is mega hard here though. Last time I tested tap water, it was going on for 300ppm.

Just looked on eBay, can get 10L of that Tulsion MB115 for £45.49 then an additional litre for £9.99 so I’ll probs just do that.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
I say it degraded quickly, but it probably didn’t in reality. I bought the vessel with resin already in it second hand so no idea what was in it tbh.

Water is mega hard here though. Last time I tested tap water, it was going on for 300ppm.

Just looked on eBay, can get 10L of that Tulsion MB115 for £45.49 then an additional litre for £9.99 so I’ll probs just do that.

Don't use 115 if you're at 300ppm mate.

200 and over use 151.

The ready filled kits will likely have been 115, plus the fact you got it 2nd hand will be why it went so quickly.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Hang on a minute.

With the vessel, I need to fill it with water after I've used it?

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I don't think I have ever pondered so much about a detailing purchase!!!

Just waiting for Infinity Wax to get there's back in stock.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Only ever used glazes by hand. Thought I'd try it on the green hex pad. Worked wayyy better than I thought.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Well it's arrived today and I've filled it up with resin, bought 11L off eBay and it was full with 10L... You were right @Sir Nancy Flowers 😂

120ppm before and 0ppm instantly 👌🏻

PXL_20220622_184649569.jpg

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Good to know for when mine needs replacing as I've got an 11L one too 😂😂

Theyre so worth the money. Enjoy!

Yeah definitely just getting 10L next time.

It came as 5x2L vacuum packed bags and a single 1L. Started getting to the end of the 5th bag and was like, I'm not getting that last bag in 😅

Hopefully lasts quite a while with my water being fairly mild anyway.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Yeah definitely just getting 10L next time.

It came as 5x2L vacuum packed bags and a single 1L. Started getting to the end of the 5th bag and was like, I'm not getting that last bag in 😅

Hopefully lasts quite a while with my water being fairly mild anyway.
When I did it properly, my 115 resin lasted a year. And I used it weekly! Just for final rinse but still.

I'm quite tempted to hook my 11L up to my PW again to go back to my previous set up. Knowing my luck it will f**k all my resin though 😂

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
When I did it properly, my 115 resin lasted a year. And I used it weekly! Just for final rinse but still.

I'm quite tempted to hook my 11L up to my PW again to go back to my previous set up. Knowing my luck it will f**k all my resin though 😂

Yeah I only plan to have it just for rinsing I think.

Are they ok to use with a PW then? I read that it can mess with the resin due to the pulses of some machines.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Yeah I only plan to have it just for rinsing I think.

Are they ok to use with a PW then? I read that it can mess with the resin due to the pulses of some machines.
Yeaaah. I dunno its mixed reviews everywhere I look. Some say it's fine, others report issues with machines from it and ive also read the PW pulls water through it too fast which degrades the resin quickly.

Who f**king knows. I'll probably just stick with the extra expandy hose for final rinse.

I actually need to wash my car its proper hanging. Worst its been in ages!

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
What are you actually using these purification things for? To avoid water spots when you've cleaned the car?

I had something similar to filter out nitrates from top water for an aquarium but way less fancy

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
What are you actually using these purification things for? To avoid water spots when you've cleaned the car?

I had something similar to filter out nitrates from top water for an aquarium but way less fancy
exactly that mate.

Its to use for a 'final rinse' after youve washed the car. It basically removes the need to dry the car. Pure water = no hard spots.

For me, its especially important. My drive is unobstructed and south facing so in the summer its sun from 8am to 9pm. Its a nightmare when you consider my water is super hard (its aroused you could say).

Used to do my head in. Rinse car, walk in to get towel, walk out and its all dry and horrible. Totally removes that.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Treated the car with hydro2 foam the other day but because I’m an idiot, I didn’t dry the car and thought that several rinses and allowing it to dry overnight would be enough to stop it leaving a residue.

2132C35C-B60A-4FC1-9530-F89BFECF94F4.jpeg

As you can see, I am a fully qualified potato.
Didn’t even realise until today because it had half the sahara desert on top of it.

Any ideas what would be best to get rid of the residue? Aside from not being an idiot in the first place, obviously.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Treated the car with hydro2 foam the other day but because I’m an idiot, I didn’t dry the car and thought that several rinses and allowing it to dry overnight would be enough to stop it leaving a residue.

View attachment 1598912

As you can see, I am a fully qualified potato.
Didn’t even realise until today because it had half the sahara desert on top of it.

Any ideas what would be best to get rid of the residue? Aside from not being an idiot in the first place, obviously.

A good old fashioned polish is in store now I believe

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Give it a good wash with some decent shampoo and see where you are from there.

If anything it'll just need a light polish tbh

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
That's a point, something like this may work

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
That's a point, something like this may work

I've used this and didn't rate it tbh!

Garage Therapy Decon wash is where its at. Don't get me wrong, even GT won't strip fresh protection but even something slightly wobbling and this stuff smashes it.

Warm water is a must. Foam first nice and strong. Then wash also with Decon and warm water.

Closest thing I've to a product worthy of using the word 'strip'

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
exactly that mate.

Its to use for a 'final rinse' after youve washed the car. It basically removes the need to dry the car. Pure water = no hard spots.

For me, its especially important. My drive is unobstructed and south facing so in the summer its sun from 8am to 9pm. Its a nightmare when you consider my water is super hard (its aroused you could say).

Used to do my head in. Rinse car, walk in to get towel, walk out and its all dry and horrible. Totally removes that.

You linking this stuff up to the jetwash to rinse off or just gravity fed hosepipe?

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
You linking this stuff up to the jetwash to rinse off or just gravity fed hosepipe?
I did have a debate about this the other day.

Basically there are smutterings its not good for whatever reason - whether that be age of the resin or damage to the machine.

I did it for a while and it worked fine but to me its just not worth risking with a spare hose ready to go. Ill have to find a picture of my set up (although its changed a bit recently) and show you.

In short - go with a hose pipe for final rinse :)

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Last Di question.😎

I've connected it all up.

When rinsing the car is it better with an open house or a spray gun?

If it's the former I would have to change my connectors.