ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Hopefully I'll be giving the Megane the full decon treatment this weekend, as I'll finally be able to get in the garage now the Exige is going tomorrow *wipes tear from eye*

This is what I'll be doing, can those in the know confirm its in the right order/sensible:

Wash
Iron-x
Rinse off
Dry
Clay
Zaino Z5
Fin

Can't be assed with machine polishing it yet. I'll wait until it warms up a bit.

Might take the wheels off to try out the Gtechniq C5 too if I can be bothered.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Process is right Dan but you might want something to remove any tar contaminants from the paint before claying and maybe something after that to fill any swirls before the Z5 (like Tripple, Amigo, Blackhole or even SRP?).

^ also not much point drying the car before clay. The extra water on the surface will aid lubrication and save time :)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah definitely use the srp. You ideally want something better but Srp is still ideal.

Claying usually inflicts some marring so some sort of polishing is required. Srp will be reet. ;)

FF Racing Blue 182
how does fairy washing up liquid compare to maxolen universal cleaner at washing the quality leather seats in the clio

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Can I ask, is snow foam really worth it? Apart from looking like a lot of fun, is it worthwhile?

I think so, maybe not all the time but certainly after decontaminent stages and polishing to remove residue an dusts. I also find it usefull during winter to remove salt.

Granted you can use citrus power, but even with the PB offer it works out a lot more expensive.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
A pre wash and pressure rinse can be just as good at softening grime, if you get a good one there is little difference.

It just makes it a little easier sometimes, and when wanting to rinse after de tar, de iron and claying etc.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
I fancy giving the Snowfoam a crack, We have a Nilfisk Pressure washer so pretty sure I can get a decent Snowfoam lance for that?

FF Racing Blue 182
couple of daft questions i cant seem to find anything to help through the search function

as i dont have a pressure washer can af citrus power be used like a snow foam and let it dwell on the car then would i agitate the whole car or just rinse it off with the hose before the shampoo

and the other question can af tough coat still be used after waxing the car

Golf GT & A4 Avant
couple of daft questions i cant seem to find anything to help through the search function

as i dont have a pressure washer can af citrus power be used like a snow foam and let it dwell on the car then would i agitate the whole car or just rinse it off with the hose before the shampoo

and the other question can af tough coat still be used after waxing the car

Citrus power is meant to be just sprayed on the car, left to dwell then rinsed off before washing.

Tough coat is a stand alone sealant and should not be used over a wax, although you could wax over the top if you wanted for extra looks

FF Racing Blue 182
thanks guys

what is a stand alone sealant ? im i wrong in saying or thinking a sealant was used at the end after waxing to keep the wax bonded

dam i will get my head round this yet :banghead:

Twingo Dynamique
How quickly do you guys go through snow foam solution??!! I did my clio and my mum's scenic today and wasn't through about 750ml.... surely I'm doing something wrong? Or is it more likely the fact that it is pretty rubbish solution that I'm using....?!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
A last stage product, LSP, is to keep all your paintwork fresh and sealed. This is done by either a wax OR sealant. Think of a wax as a natural version, a sealant as a synthetic version.

By stand alone sealant i mean all that is needed.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
How quickly do you guys go through snow foam solution??!! I did my clio and my mum's scenic today and wasn't through about 750ml.... surely I'm doing something wrong? Or is it more likely the fact that it is pretty rubbish solution that I'm using....?!

It all depends on how youve set up your lance, if you've wound up the dilution you'll use more. Play around with the dilution nob on top of the lance and see how much you need to get the desired affect. With an inch of snow foam in the bottom of the bottle I can typically do 3 cars with it, but I turn the dilution up quite a bit as I haven't got great pressure going through it

Clio World Series
I'm all ready too go now finally! I'm using auto smart snow foam,clay bilt hamber,ag resin polish then HD wax then I'll do a wheel clean and a glass clean!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Yeah I thought so! In which case all its good for is putting a soapy dilution over the car. It's far from a snow foam lance. You'd need one like that I linked from i4d

Twingo Dynamique
Mm.. i thought it seemed a bit good, half the price of everything else I've seen. It covered the car but it all kinda dribbled off quite quickly :/ uploadfromtaptalk1363551673462.jpg

VTT

SaxoZcarK20RWD Sold
Mm.. i thought it seemed a bit good, half the price of everything else I've seen. It covered the car but it all kinda dribbled off quite quickly :/ View attachment 94512

I'm about two weeks in front of you.... Used the lance that came with my Nilsfik using ValetPro Snowfoam and was thoroughly pee'ed off with the result. Looked just like yours.
Lad on saxp recommended one on eBay for £34 delivered.

This was yesterday's result with exact same dilution...

bu2aqaba.jpg

VTT

SaxoZcarK20RWD Sold
Couldn't believe the difference. I tried to put the link up but couldn't get it to work off my phone.

FF Racing Blue 182
A last stage product, LSP, is to keep all your paintwork fresh and sealed. This is done by either a wax OR sealant. Think of a wax as a natural version, a sealant as a synthetic version.

By stand alone sealant i mean all that is needed.

i see good info mate

well ive just about got all the gear i need to give it my first proper clean

citrus power/dodo juice btbm
oblitarate/iron x/still to get a clay bar
prima amigo
tough coat or wax not sure what to do

is that order ok ive got some ag products from last summer glass polish and bumper and trim gel