ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Really happy with the results of AF Revive on my plastics.... 1 quick pass and have a nice satin finish :)

asa9yze6.jpg

Would recommend it if you're struggling to think of products to take advantage of PB's 3 for 2.

My continuation of machine polishing this evening didn't quite go to plan.

Started out fine, getting good correction as you can see:

Before:

DSCF0437web_zps97af918e.jpg

After:

DSCF0438web_zps9cad2d60.jpg

But I must have picked up a TINY bit of dirt from somewhere, as the second area I did appeared to have a very minor 'haze' to it. Not crystal clear as you'd expect after polishing. Upon closer inspection, the area was covered in TINY little scratches, but not long and joined up. They are a few millimetres in size max, but everywhere. So I presume the DA polisher was making tiny marks as well as taking the big scratches out. (You can almost see them in the after pic)
So that's on hold now as I clean my pad. I may even order some new ones, as I'm away for a couple of days from Wednesday, so might be waiting for me when I get back.

Good job I spotted it straight after, as opposed to doing the whole side of the car!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
You can almost see it here. Red is the general area, the blue line is the edge of the haze, where I stopped polishing on this panel.

Photo18-03-2013183508_zps3799be52.jpg

that would really p!ss me off. Luckily I've never had it happen when machining, but did do it when wiping down after wet sanding. I couldnt face wet sanding again, far too much effort and risk

Yeh but I'm relieved that its just a small part of one panel, not everything I've done so far! I check the bits I did yesterday and they're fine. So must have been unlucky this evening.
Cleaning my pad tonight for take two tomorrow.

The pad was cleaned the day before!
It's a Menzerna polishing pad, and I'm switching between Menzerna intensive polish and for the deeper marks, power gloss.

Clio 182, Astra Sri
Kranzle was delivered today

Bloomin'eck it's a quality bit of kit

Tiny too! Very quiet and good constant pressure

Ideal for running off a tank and a generator, which is mainly why I bought it. Sick of karchers

Well impressed

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Kranzles are awesome. Proper piece of kit. Watch the large Red button doesn't crack, common.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Like I said on DW, If Desire and Auto Finesse waxes carry on selling, then the special editions should gather value shouldn't they?

How so? It's not a special edition. It's a pot of desire with a number on it that now means diddly squat other than they made those ones first.

It's now not a special rare wax like it advertised itself as.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Nah that's kinda different. Every wax will be like that once it's old.

My failed machine polishing was bugging me too much as I sat and played Sim City lol!

So I went back out to redo that panel as my pad was pretty dry. Used the lightest polish I have and now its 100% mark free and that haze has gone.
So must have got the pad contaminated somehow.

A sigh of relief and the work carries on tomorrow.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
My failed machine polishing was bugging me too much as I sat and played Sim City lol!

So I went back out to redo that panel as my pad was pretty dry. Used the lightest polish I have and now its 100% mark free and that haze has gone.
So must have got the pad contaminated somehow.

A sigh of relief and the work carries on tomorrow.

Good news! (said in James May style)

Glad I spotted it as early as I did! Otherwise I would have done one side of the car and the roof!

Not the I would have an issue paying a pro to do this kind of work, and no doubt they would do better, but it is rewarding doing it yourself.

Although saying that, white isn't the most rewarding to detail. There's no super 'mirror like' looking finishes with this colour, like you get on darker colours.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=300363

An interesting thread on DW. I know a few Desire owners on here. Thoughts?

I agree with your 3rd or 4th post in the DW thread (nice to see you can use DW again, when did that happen?). I'd compare it to my champagne (the only thing I collect and similar prices to Desire, so an apt comparison in my eyes); I wouldn't have paid, or continue to pay, the premiums for certain cuvees (circa £100 per bottle over the vintages) had they not been special in some way shape or form. It's not the taste (application, looks, longevity in wax terms), as I am unlikely to drink them any time soon (by which time they are likely to have double or even trippled in price), it's the collectable and special nature of that particular run of bottles.

But hey, I'm in business development, so I'd have still wanted to find a way to sell more of a succesful product, so I can also appreciate why AF have decided to continue the run.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Of course I understand the thought behind it, money, but you have to look after your customer base. They advertised it as limited Edition. Only 500 pots, they renegaded on their "promise". I don't agree with that on a personal level. Nor do I agree with some mark ups on detailing products but it is what is it.

If the detailing industry was even regulated lightly this kind of thing would be shot down in flames. I'm not saying it should be but under law what they have done is wrong.

I can see why detailing is very lucrative looking at some of the frankly crazy posts in that thread.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Like a good cab scrubbing. They really do hold so much crap!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
the thread on DW went way off topic and though. then followed by bashing. Haven't checked on it since last night but can imagine it's been locked by now.

I'm kiinda glad it will be more readily available as I really like it. But not at the full premium they will be asking. And my 1 of 20 original 'can't be bought' pots is no more special than any other wax in my collection. Was a little dissapointed when they announced they were going to reproduce a limited run of 500

Oh well, money counts in business at the end of the day

VW ID.3
I've got my brother-in-law's 206 GTI to do this weekend, I've got Tripple and Tough Coat to try on it and my Metro sidekick blaster turned up today as well :D