ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

O

Oakley12

Hi all, just a quick question. I've seemed to have misplaced my quickdetailer (almost full) and don't want to buy more as I know the old one will show up. Is there another solution? Maybe some car shampoo mixed with water in a spray bottle?

Thanks, Oakley

BMW E46 330i Touring
Only with Bilt Hamber. Use just water with most clays and you'll mess your paint right up!

I just fill a bucket with quite a strong shampoo and water mix and re-wash the car at the time as claying.

O

Oakley12

So basically the same as making a strong mix of shampoo and water in a spray bottle?

BMW E46 330i Touring
Yeah should be fine. Although I find that a shampoo spray dries on the paintwork as you go around the car, so often needs a wash afterwards anyway.

O

Oakley12

Yeah I thought that! What I was going to do was: wash, clay, wash, polish then wax?

Twingo Dynamique
So I've got some tardis which i found in the garage, what do you guys use to apply/ whatever it. I don't want to risk damaging my paint :) cheers

BMW E46 330i Touring
I used to 'dab' it onto affected spots with a cloth but yesterday I misted it over the car and will do that from now on. It brought out so many spots that I didn't even see before.

Spray over the car, leave for a few minutes, go around the car with a MF cloth wiping it off. You will then probably need to dab a bit more onto particularly harsh spots that still stick on the paint.

Oakley, yeah that's right. As above though, I'd recommend getting some tar remover before claying. It makes the claying process much easier and safer.

Chaps, can anyone recommend a great last step product, preferably from auto finesse as ill take advantage of the 3 for 2 offer.

Basically I have Zaino Z2, and Tripple on the way.

Would it be best going for a wax, or a sealant of some sort?

If a wax, which one?! There's so many! Passion looks good, but Soul says its designed for light coloured cars like white. Would there really be that much difference?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Chaps, can anyone recommend a great last step product, preferably from auto finesse as ill take advantage of the 3 for 2 offer.

Basically I have Zaino Z2, and Tripple on the way.

Would it be best going for a wax, or a sealant of some sort?

If a wax, which one?! There's so many! Passion looks good, but Soul says its designed for light coloured cars like white. Would there really be that much difference?

I'd go with AF Tough Coat over your R26 Dan.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I'm not sure why you want another product though. Layers of Z2 blow TC out the water. The only thing you would apply is a wax but on Silver i'm not sure why you would.

You'll ruin the beading and sheeting by applying TC over Z2. If you want a really nice wax for Silver to apply over Z2 buy some Lusso Oro.

I thought Z2 was just a polish, not a sealant. So if you apply Z2, you still need a sealant ideally, whether it be wax or otherwise?

It's a white car FYI, if that makes a difference.
Tough coat looks impressive, but didn't know if that would follow nicely after Z2.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
It does get incredibly annoying but it helps sell the products to people who think that anything you put on your car is called polish.

With the right preperation you'll get 6 months protection with Z-2

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Did you buy Z2 or the Z5 aswell? I've forgotten what you said.

But yeah Z2 over Tripple will look really tidy mate. The only other thing I can think of adding is Z8.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Exactly!
Well I'll give the car a coat of Tripple (not this time as I'm machine polishing it), then two coats of Z2.

Even if you're machine polishing you will still need something to cleanse the paint before z2 as compounds and polishes still leaves oils etc mate.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
nO NO NO. Tripple is an AIO. If you're machine polishing you wouldn't use Tripple ever really unless you were machine polishing with Tripple.

It contains fillers etc which helps the paint look better aswell as cleansers. If you're machine polishing, ie correction work i'd be aiming towards a proper glaze before Z2 or an IPA/Eraser wipedown.

My understanding was Tripple was a quick fix. I would never use it on properly corrected paintwork really.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
As Gally says tripple is an all in one, pointless after a machine polishing. If it was me machine polish, cleanse, glaze, z2 and then maybe some z8.

Dan are you doing an all out correction over a couple of days with a rotary or will be just doing the best you can within a day with a da? What products will be using?

My god this is confusing!

Right I'm machine polishing the car at the moment, using various Menzerna polishes.
I currently have Z2 , with Tripple being delivered soon.

I was going to apply just Z2 now as last step. Then use Tripple periodically later on, as I'm obviously not going to machine polish the car every time.

My question initially was what to apply after Z2, as I thought that was just a polish. But as its a sealant I think I'm sorted.

Only thing was if I should do anything between machine polishing and applying Z2?

And what's a glaze? What AF product would be for that?

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Sorry dude haha, just trying to give the best advice.

Do you have any ipa? If you don't definitely get some. As you seem to want to do this properly you need some other additions. As you say keep tripple for the future.

You need a cleanser, a glaze and then for after z2 grande finale z8

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
They don't do a glaze. Machine polishing the paintwork, either sell the Tripple on or keep it for other cars.

EZ Creme Glaze is a great Glaze as is Prima Amigo. They are 2 of the best i've used. EZ fills better Amigo is slicker.

Machine polish, Glaze, Z2 layers as many as you can! Sit back and admire. Every month Z8/Z6 wipe down after washing/drying. :)

Tripple fits better into poor paint prep so to speak hence it being an all in one.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
You still enjoying lime prime Gally? I found an old bottle on Saturday when sorting all my products out, still love the smell!

RIght I think I'm clear now :)

Last question about applying Z2:

Should you apply to the whole car then buff, or do a panel at a time? And is it normal to look like you're using not enough product? When I did the Exige, after the initial wipe on the car, it looks like you're wiping a clean MF cloth over the paint and not doing anything. But everywhere says you need a really small amount of this stuff.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
See now if your getting fairly good results as shown in your pics from the machine polishing, I can't see the point in suggesting a glaze. Surely it's a waste of time when he's getting fairly good levels of swirl removal so no need for the fillers.

After polishing I would personally use a pre wax / sealant cleanser to sharpen up the finish before Z2, Or even machine polish / IPA wipedown then Z2. Keep the glaze or tripple for intermediate protection details when not machining.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I'm guessing you have watched this you tube video?

I don't do the full car, half a car at most for me aslong as it isn't hot even less. Just enough to let it bond a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
See now if your getting fairly good results as shown in your pics from the machine polishing, I can't see the point in suggesting a glaze. Surely it's a waste of time when he's getting fairly good levels of swirl removal so no need for the fillers.

After polishing I would personally use a pre wax / sealant cleanser to sharpen up the finish before Z2, Or even machine polish / IPA wipedown then Z2. Keep the glaze or tripple for intermediate protection details when not machining.

I just like overkill. :eek:

If it was on perfect light coloured paint I would use a pure cleanser, Werkstat for eg. Totally cleansing the paint and leaving a nice base.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG

Haven't seen any pictures yet (I shouldve looked) but I didn't think he was doing a complete correction hence the glaze suggestion.

I'm certainly taking my time and doing the best I can. I'm removing pretty much everything apart from the major stuff, which is a bit deep for me.
The paint seems pretty hard, certainly a lot harder to get stuff out compared to the Lotus. That probably doesn't have the best paint though.
I think I'll just get some pre sealant cleanser and go for Z2 straight after.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The Megane/Clio has "hard" clearcoat coat lacquer from factory mate. My Clio required a tougher correction combo than my TT which shocked me.