ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Clio 182, Astra Sri
Impressed myself today

Swirly old audi a4 I had a play with

FC+ on 3m wool, removed 95% of the defects, then finished down with ultrafina on a blue 3m pad. 1 set each

5D0EDE04-1718-4203-A921-A33CE46EF7D5-891-0000009011FDDC23.jpg

I don't think I will ever ignore the 3m range, fool proof

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Drop anything in with the FC mate. Way too dusty for me although very good. I prefer Menz sometimes. Or i'll drop some ultrafina in the FC.

Clio 182, Astra Sri
I do, blob of ultrafina.

I usually prime the whole wool pad with specs of ultrafina anyway. No where near as much dust

What do people do when priming pads?
Say after you've used them, washed them and put them away, when you come to use them again?
Do you spray a quick mist of QD, or two lines of polish then work in with the finger, or just the two/three blobs to actually work with, or something else..
Just after some tips really. I'm never really sure I've got the pad primed properly.

Anyone used to Z2 - is it normal that it almost disappears after applying it? When I came to buff I off most of it appeared to be gone. Not sure if its because of the cold too.
I'm used to the kind of 'residue' left by waxes, so wasn't sure if sealants behaved in a similar way.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
You shouldn't really apply it properly cold mate but it's not a massive issue. Yep it virtually disappears especially on lighter coloured cars. You only have to use very small amounts for each panel too.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
The best way to learn is to look at the application videos on YouTube tbh mate.

looking forward to seeing the end result anyhow!

The end result you say! Well I'll have to use the car tomorrow, but the weather is going to be crap, so it'll just get caked in crap straight away.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I'm sure it's ready to take pictures already ;)

It'll be 100x more easier to clean now you've put all this effort in.

Yeh true! I'm hoping the C5 wheel armour makes a big difference.

The biggest difference is right up close. Before there were black spots everywhere, small iron spots I think. Paint although not that swirled, was pretty rough too.
Now 99% of the spots have gone and its mirror smooth to touch.

I would take some photos, but white doesn't really have that super mirror finish that others colours have, so it won't really look that impressive I don't think (in the garage).
I'll wait for the weather to pick up and do a top up detail then.

Clio 182, Astra Sri
had to accompany the e-type i detailed earlier in the week today, just for some last minute prep for the show.

concours gives amazing beads of water!

DSC00609.jpg

turbo 182
wanting to detail my arctic blue 182 so id like advice on products to use: polish? wax or sealant? and clay? in the past on previous cars i used to use autoglym shampoo and then aqua wax however id like to ' do it properly '
things ive already got:
cheap pressure washer (not much pressure)
2 buckets
wash mit
autosmart smart wheels + wheel brush
as duet shampoo (shampoo + carabana wax)
as fallout (equivelnt to ironX without the bleeding)
tar and glue remover
a few microfibres

what would you recomment changing or adding to what ive got forgot to mention can get AS G101 if i need to 'pre wash'
polish wise id like a polish thats easy to apply by hand. cheers in advance

turbo 182
I reccomend the werkstatt acrylic kit, everything you need in that lot to add to what you already have :)

what clay bar and lube do you recomend? will the as duet be ok to use as it has wax in it that will put a layer over the car so ineffect ill be pollishing the wax from the shampoo and not the cars paint?

Clio 182, Astra Sri
The prime strong included in the kit will remove the duet layer. Which is fine. Then the jett sealant will protect your paint well, keep it topped up with the QD in the kit. Sorted

I would scrap AS duet after you've done it and get something like wolfs white satin or AF lather, they won't change or remove the layer of werkstatt

Any clay is fine, use shampoo and water in a spray bottle for clay lube. Or dodo juice born slippy is good lube

turbo 182
ok cheers for the info will get that kit ordered from polished bliss next week, just need the weather to sort its self out now

What do people do when priming pads?
Say after you've used them, washed them and put them away, when you come to use them again?
Do you spray a quick mist of QD, or two lines of polish then work in with the finger, or just the two/three blobs to actually work with, or something else..
Just after some tips really. I'm never really sure I've got the pad primed properly.

Anyone :(

Fiesta ST200

To be honest mate, I just have a spray bottle of water next to me.

I spray some on there generously for the first use if its a compounding head. Just to soften it a little.

Then on the polish front I do 1 thin line across the centre of the pad from edge to edge for the first panel of the car. Then I do from the edge to the centre of the pad for the rest of the car.

Hope that made sense!

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Do we still get the i4detailing discount? Or has the code changed? Because I keep getting this message: The coupon code (ClioSport) was not recognised, please check and re-enter.

To be honest mate, I just have a spray bottle of water next to me.

I spray some on there generously for the first use if its a compounding head. Just to soften it a little.

Then on the polish front I do 1 thin line across the centre of the pad from edge to edge for the first panel of the car. Then I do from the edge to the centre of the pad for the rest of the car.

Hope that made sense!

Yea makes perfect sense. Cheers mate.
I found last time if I used to much water on the pad, it just spat wet polish everywhere that was really hard to remove!?

PH2 Flamer
Heres my list of items i will be using during my cleaning session at the weekend, maybe tomorrow.

AF lather, citrus, crystal, tripple, clay bar and glide, oblitarate, tough coat, revive, satin tyre gel. Also have auto glym hd wax but not sure if i should use this as well as tough coat?

If some one with a spare 5mins could give me an order on using above products it would be great.

As i havent used oblitarate, tough coat, and citrus before. Normaly just rinse, wash (sometimes clay) dry and polish and wax.

Clio 182, Astra Sri
Rinse, Citrus, dwell then high pressure
Rinse, lather, rinse, clay, oblitarate, rinse, lather again, rinse, dry, tripple, tough coat, AG HD, crystal, revive, satin

:)

You could take out the tough coat part IMO. Not necessary if AG HD'ing

PH2 Flamer
Cheers guys. Yeah i may take TC out.

Probably a silly question, best way to apply oblitarate? And how long for? As i hear it shouldnt be left to dry.

I thought it was a spray on product. Bit no spray head came with it.

Clio 182, Astra Sri
Cheers guys. Yeah i may take TC out.

Probably a silly question, best way to apply oblitarate? And how long for? As i hear it shouldnt be left to dry.

I thought it was a spray on product. Bit no spray head came with it.

I personally, (especially if doing a machine polish) soak it into an old mf cloth and dab the cloth on the bad areas and then wipe until the tar is removed

BMW E46 330i Touring
I used to do it that way but my car was so bad last week that I just misted the car with a spray. The amount of tar spots that I hadn't even seen was remarkable, so will be doing it that way from now on. Uses more product obviously but gets better results, from my experience.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I used to do it that way but my car was so bad last week that I just misted the car with a spray. The amount of tar spots that I hadn't even seen was remarkable, so will be doing it that way from now on. Uses more product obviously but gets better results, from my experience.

i do this, then mist a MF applicator and wipe over the panel your working on before rinsing

BMW E46 330i Touring
Probably best just to buy a spray bottle and chemical resistant head (a few quid) and just decant the Oblitarate into it as needed.