ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Chaps...

I recently cleaned my Radiant Red Orion using AG paint renovator, CG 3n, AG SRP topped off with Auto Finesse Spirit Wax.

The car has been parked outside in the sun/rain and I want to get it MOT'd and back on the road next week.

What are the best products to use to clean it but without damaging the waxes on there at the minute? Ideally I want to get it as shiny as I had it last time but i'm assuming using SRP again will rub the wax off?

I'm lost tbh, any help greatly appreciated.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Just washing it with a nice shampoo Dan. If you have time, dry it then go over it with the pinnacle mist I sent you. It's superb or another QD you have.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
SRP will remove a wax to some extent. A ph nuetral shampoo and quick detailer wipe down will look like youve just waxed it again

Bit of advice lads.

Noticed when locking the garage tonight, the bonnet had half a dozen marks (not a typical swirl, more of a square caused by a straight rub). I think I've done this by rubbing bird s**t off the car with a damp mitt.

So I just applied Amigo by hand (1 coat), and managed to improve it.

What products/techniques would you recommend next? I've got Amigo/Z2/Z6/Z8, and will be by hand.

I'm thinking of getting some Gtechniq P1 and a FP1 pad.

This is the after, on my phone:

8573145790_997c8edfc5_b.png

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
You don't have any machine CJ?

Carpro fixer is better by hand than P1 I found. Never really did get on with P1.

It really needs machine polished by the looks of it. Some products like Amigo and Tripple will help hide these marks though.

Carpro fixer is better by hand than P1 I found. Never really did get on with P1.

It really needs machine polished by the looks of it. Some products like Amigo and Tripple will help hide these marks though.

Nope, no machine for me. Might see if someone local fancies a go on it if by hand won't budge it.

Can you link me to some Carpro Fixer? Can't see it on Elite or CYC.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
See the sticky at the top of this section mate. Discount code on there aswell. :)

330Ci cab
at the weekend i did my usual after a month or so: wash, SRP, supernatural wax.

the question... AF tripple and sealant, can i go over that, or clay, tripple, coat, wax? i mean, do i need to strip it all back to get the best out of the AF?

ta in advance

330Ci cab
Cheers :)

Applicators: MF, Terry, or Foam pads?

I currently use all 3, then a MF cloth to buff off.

foam pads boss.

i mean, if i wash again and put tripple, hard coat then wax, will it make much difference considering i put a layer of wax on last saturday?

Fiesta ST200
foam pads boss.

i mean, if i wash again and put tripple, hard coat then wax, will it make much difference considering i put a layer of wax on last saturday?

Layering up waxes and sealants will always 'enhance' the finish. Making it more and more glossy each time you apply :)

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
As I'm bored and thinking about it can anyone give me some tips on keeping a new car fresh from day 1?

i have a megs da and a varying range of chemicals to crack on with but what's the best method or what would you do?

The colour is ford spirit blue if if makes a difference?

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
HD is pretty good, just go for thin layers, don't let it cake on.

As long as you can do the prep properly, C5 (or other permanent sealant) is the only thing worth you're time on wheels. I'm due to due by annual clean/C5 this week :)

Golf GT & A4 Avant
at the weekend i did my usual after a month or so: wash, SRP, supernatural wax.

the question... AF tripple and sealant, can i go over that, or clay, tripple, coat, wax? i mean, do i need to strip it all back to get the best out of the AF?

ta in advance

I've not used supernatural so don't know how tough it is, but tripple will go some way to remove a little of any previous wax layers underneath it.

As for layering, it can affect durability if they don't work together. You should NOT put a sealant over a wax, but you can layer a wax over a sealant. The problem is getting them to bond together.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
SN is a strong wax, it has gassing issues like Glasur but they are bold old school waxes so to speak. High carnauba content.

Jaff is I ever bought a new car it would be coated in ceramic sealants from day one, everything would be done, wheels, plastics and paintwork. Easier said than done of course but i'd pay to get it done if I didn't have the knowhow or products.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
SN is a strong wax, it has gassing issues like Glasur but they are bold old school waxes so to speak. High carnauba content.

Jaff is I ever bought a new car it would be coated in ceramic sealants from day one, everything would be done, wheels, plastics and paintwork. Easier said than done of course but i'd pay to get it done if I didn't have the knowhow or products.

It has crossed my mind but as I have limited knowledge on how to apply them and I don't think it would be wise to do it myself.

how much would you say it would cost roughly for someone to do that?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Protection details aren't that expensive mate. What area are you in? Maybe have a google and send some emails.

Maybe £200-£250 for the full works, obviously you'll probably want a 1 stage polish to nick out some shocking factory/dealer prep but shouldn't cost the earth.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
In Swansea South Wales mate.

wouldn't mind paying £250 for it tbh but it could well be tight as I'm doing house and car at the same time so the money could be needed elsewhere.

Certainly something to look into. Recommend anyone? I was going to have a guy from Cardiff (name escapes me now) come and do my megane. That was £350 for a teaching detail

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Hmm, why can't I think of anyone from Wales! :S Lols. JD will help us out no doubt!

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Cool, ill await some more input :)

dont mind traveling either mind, new car and all that ill be living in it for the first few weeks lol. Obviously there's more chance of it getting stinking then though

Twingo Dynamique
So my order from PB of AF Tripple, AF Lather, and Imperial arrived yesterday, is there any point me using tripple without decontaminating the car first? (it's never been done before) and atm i only have tardis.... Suggestions?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Posting today mate. Not sure if you have seen the snow up here for the past few days. The Trophy doesn't going anywhere on Ad08s sadly!

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Nothing too special but happy with the beading after using AF Tripple, Tough Coat and I slapped on some Temptation just cos it was new and I wanted to use it

zy4y3u2e.jpg

Once the weather picks up I'll give the car a full going over OR try and get someone to carry out a paint correction on it but don't know of many folk in East Anglia who could do it.

Right mate, I've decided I may need a machine. I'm looking at this, and reviews on DW seem to think it's a good entry level machine.

I've got Amigo & Z2. Are these enough, or should I get something else (Menzerna)?
Would I need other pads?
Do I need a backing plate?

I've never used a polisher, so don't want to make any errors. I assume I'd use the machine for polish only.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
No that's not a good entry level polisher mate. That's a way to teach yourself how to hate polishing a car.

I would start off the Ep801 or a DA polisher mate.