ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Aslong as you can before fitting really. I've dluxed wheels painted that day and they're still shedding dust 18 months on. Just nice to give it extra cure time if possible.

Ok so I have some Meguiars ultimate compound and Dodo juice supernatural hybrid wax for my car. Will be applying by hand, what applicators/buffing towels should I use?

Online or in store? In halfords look at the G3 waffle applicators. White is quite firm and good for cutting and polishing. Black is nice and soft for finishing or waxing. Or use the meguiars yellow foam applicators, offers less cut when used with ultimate compound.

Online look at the tri foam or German oval applicators.
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/accessories/cat_6.html

Either to be fair! Will have a look at those, cheers. Guessing as BMW paint is hard the white G3 applicator should be OK to use?

Also, what's best to buff the polish/wax off? Any kind of microfibre??

A van
Thanks for the replies regarding the paint.

Had a word with the building owner, he'll cover any costs incurred to sort it. He then recommended a 'detailer' that turns out to be the local £5 hand wash. I'll give that a miss.

Anyway, took a patch on the boot tonight: cleaned then clayed it. It left 'marring', so then used Megs compound and finally Zaino to polish/seal.

Looks great. It's going to take me ages though, will probably do a panel a week (I don't have the time). Also, every single panel, window and alloy has it on 😧

Any other advice on the above?

(These are before I attempted any removal):

View attachment 141893

View attachment 141894

It'll be a water based paint, So autosmart tardis will shift it, Spray on panel, Wipe with microfibre and RINSE WELL. It will obvioulsy need to be polished and sealed afterwards. Ive done a few for clients who have been reimbursed by the builders/decorators and its the quickest way to remove it.

Reactions: C.J

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Im in the process of stocking up for a big Spring correction, Just trying to decide on what Coating to go for.

So far I'm thinking of Kamikaze Myabi with a coat of ISM on top going on Ravens posts over on DW

Anyone on here used the Kamikaze stuff?

Last edited:

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I would probably use CarPro or Gtechniq. Infact I watched a detailer off DW put a video up of finest after 12 months and it was insane.

Same goes for Exo over C1. Kamikaze etc will be good but they can fail just as easy. At least you have great back up with the other 2.

Stoddie has some awesome cars and he only puts GT on them now.

Clio 182, Audi A3
Hi,

Wanting to do my first mini detail (my first on my titanium 182) kinda looking for winter protection with what I currently have, not perfection obviously as doing it by hand, and I'm a noob with no patience.

I have a collection of products, some old and some new. This is what I was thinking of doing with everything, please let me know if it sounds ok, any advice very welcome.

Products:
Autoglym shampoo
Snow foam n lance
Trix
Bilberry wheel cleaner
Prima amigo glaze
Clear Kote QD
Optiseal
Tough coat

Does this sound right :

- Wash with Autoglym shampoo (I have snow foam and lance etc, is it worth the bother?)
- Use Trix to get decontaminate (do I need to was the car before using this, or do I do this first?)
- clay using some kinda lubricant (shampoo?) not actually got any clay yet, what is recommended for Clio paint?
- prima amigo glaze by hand.
- tough coat.
- I have some clear kote quick shine QD, is it worth finishing with that, or not bother.

Wheels:

Clean with bilberry, and then I was thinking of using the optiseal I found in the shed as a sealant. Sound ok?

Cheers chaps.

Any issues with waxing a car during cold days? Forecast is about 3-5 degrees tomorrow, will be using dodo supernatural hybrid, applying by hand

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
You may have trouble buffing. Once the temperature drops below the dew point, moisture will drop out of the air and onto the car making it impossible to fully dry without smears

You may have trouble buffing. Once the temperature drops below the dew point, moisture will drop out of the air and onto the car making it impossible to fully dry without smears

Will see how warm it gets then, cheers. Will applying it in direct sunlight help I guess?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Yeah as above condensation and moisture is the biggest problems. Ideally get it waxed before 1pm when the temperatures start to drop. It's about the only time waxing in sunlight is advised

Matt e

ClioSport Club Member
A friend has. It was our understanding it's a trade version of demon shine demon snow foam. It's not the strongest of cleaners, bit foams well and cleans as well as the majority of snow foams on a protected car. Can also be used as a shampoo

i thought id give it a try. ordered it from a seller on amazon, less than £9 delivered
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LK44KT2/?tag=cliospnet01-21

any experince with this? wondered if its like the RDS
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/ca...detailing-products/carplan-trade-super-tfr-5l

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Again I think it may be the rapid dirt shifter but can never get a confirmation. Never went for it due to if it not being RDS it's a lot of product I'm not likely to use.

But I don't use RDS anymore due to a couple of experiences where waxes died off earlier than expected and couldn't workout why

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
How can I tell if an LSP has solvents? I want to use Prima Amigo as a glaze, but EGP on top - will this strip the glaze?

Also, whats bests to go under a glaze if applied by hand? Im assuming SRP is pointless, I was thinking something like a cleanser or ultimate compound?

Anyone recommend a decent but not stupid £20+ wheel brush for Turinis?

I've got a normal small muc off one atm, but all the spokes in these turini's are a time consuming annoying job, especially as I miss half of them.

Was wondering if there's a bigger/stiffer? brush out there that do these sort of wheels well?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
EZ detail, ignore the rest mate, also a small VP brush for intricate areas.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Anyone recommend a decent but not stupid £20+ wheel brush for Turinis?

I've got a normal small muc off one atm, but all the spokes in these turini's are a time consuming annoying job, especially as I miss half of them.

Was wondering if there's a bigger/stiffer? brush out there that do these sort of wheels well?

For the face and spokes or the inner barrel?

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Few questions, best off in here rather than a new thread full of old questions.

Looking for a pressure washer, come across a nilfisk c130, any good? Best place to buy? Come across a website called clean store where it is cheapest, anyone used them?

Looking at the AB lance for it, does it need any adaptorsnto fit?

And the rest is just what are the best products at the minute? I'm looking to build up some stuff to clean to a decent level, minus machine polishing. Everything from the best snow foam, wheel cleaner, shampoo, polish, wax, sealant, glass sealant etc. All stuff that can be done by hand to get a decent result.

I've mostly been looking at auto finesse stuff as it is easy to follow what their different products do.

I've come across the AF 'handi puck' which from my eyes allows you to attach different pads to it for polishing/waxing etc. Is it similar to a machine polisher in you could attach pads for correction etc? Although I'm aware correction results would be minimal if any by hand.

Sorry for the massive post but my brain is just fried by the amount of products out there.

Thanks in advance.

Ok so I finally got round to polishing and waxing my car yesterday, what a difference! Hadn't expected to notice much but really impressed with how the colour is enhanced.

Now I'm just wondering how often I need to reapply polish & wax. I only gave it one coat of each, polish being Meguiars Ultimate and Dodo supernatural hybrid wax. Should I have given it more coats of wax? I wash the car using 2BM once a week roughly using Carpro shampoo.

Ok so I finally got round to polishing and waxing my car yesterday, what a difference! Hadn't expected to notice much but really impressed with how the colour is enhanced.

Now I'm just wondering how often I need to reapply polish & wax. I only gave it one coat of each, polish being Meguiars Ultimate and Dodo supernatural hybrid wax. Should I have given it more coats of wax? I wash the car using 2BM once a week roughly using Carpro shampoo.

The wax should last awhile, I usually do mine every 3-6 months, topping up with quick detailer after washes but all depends on what products you have used.

Try adding a sealant on top for added protection and longevity

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
The wax should last awhile, I usually do mine every 3-6 months, topping up with quick detailer after washes but all depends on what products you have used.

Try adding a sealant on top for added protection and longevity
Depending on the combination, the sealant may strip some of the underlying wax.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Need to get motivated to dust off my kit.

Washed my car once in 8 months since I moved out but just moved to a place with an outside tap and a garage that my car fits in with lighting and plenty of sockets.

Just need to buy a hose and pressure washer and no doubt a few refresher items then I'll be back in the game.

Barely looked in here for months so need to have a good read.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Hello experts, full on annoying amateur here.

At the weekend I decided to use, for the first time, my Autobrite SnowFoam Lance (thanks @The Russian. ) with the Autobrite Cherry stuff. Followed instructions - 1.5/2 inches plus warm water. Came to spray it and the consistency wasnt right at all. Even on the Most '+' setting the foam was still quite runny and basically ended up on the floor rather than holding on the car.

I played around with the nozzles and it didnt make any, positive, difference only making it more watery.

What am I doing wrong? Is it the product that's naff? Recommendations? Any help massively appreciated.

Clio 172
Hello experts, full on annoying amateur here.

At the weekend I decided to use, for the first time, my Autobrite SnowFoam Lance (thanks @The Russian. ) with the Autobrite Cherry stuff. Followed instructions - 1.5/2 inches plus warm water. Came to spray it and the consistency wasnt right at all. Even on the Most '+' setting the foam was still quite runny and basically ended up on the floor rather than holding on the car.

I played around with the nozzles and it didnt make any, positive, difference only making it more watery.

What am I doing wrong? Is it the product that's naff? Recommendations? Any help massively appreciated.

The product is pretty naff tbf but only because it's autoshite

Oh and you need to turn the dial the other way ;)

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
What's a good product for the plastic bits on the wings etc, on my Cooper S?

banther

ClioSport Club Member
The product is pretty naff tbf but only because it's autoshite

Oh and you need to turn the dial the other way :wink:
Well other than slating my choice - do you have a recommendation of product in that case?

The knob must be on the wrong way round then as turning towards '-' definitely makes the mixture more liquid.

Riz on my R53 I used Autofinesse Revive - an expert will probably come with a better suggestion.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
I doubt it's the product, I've used autobrite snowfoam and had no problems
IMG_20151010_131854.jpg

Can't offer any other assistance though :(