ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I think the problem for me is that I am not a mad detailer. I don't want hard work and to be endlessly applying stuff. Just a bit concerned about brake dust and stuff getting into them and making them look pap.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
If you don't want to be endlessly applying stuff definitely don't go for a wheel wax, waste of time in my opinion!

In all fairness, with or without a coating on your wheels, just keeping on top of cleaning them is the best way of keeping them in good shape. Same as exhaust tips, keep them clean and they're easy work. Don't clean for six months and they'll cost you half a day.

Will you get your new wheels before they go on the car? Applying gyeon rim to new, clean wheels isn't bad at all, the prep of old/dirty wheels is what takes time.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Ceramic coat on wheels is a must. Can't remember the last set I've had that isn't done (and I e had a few sets recently lolz).
Makes it so much easier and stops brake dust eating into the hard to clean bits

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I'm no detailing pro so can just give a "normal" answer. I thought it was ok, but not amazing. Although maybe i had high Hope's that it was going to wash off like silk and be really easy. You still need to wash the wheels and what not.

I followed the guide by washing wheels thoroughly, drying them (with towel and compressor air gun) and left overnight. Decreased the wheels and then applied the coating. Waited 2 mins before wiping off. Left to cure for 2.5hrs.

Maybe I had higher hopes but it's not amazing, but its decent enough. I'm still going to add wax to the wheels as a extra barrier.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
I'm no detailing pro so can just give a "normal" answer. I thought it was ok, but not amazing. Although maybe i had high Hope's that it was going to wash off like silk and be really easy. You still need to wash the wheels and what not.

I followed the guide by washing wheels thoroughly, drying them (with towel and compressor air gun) and left overnight. Decreased the wheels and then applied the coating. Waited 2 mins before wiping off. Left to cure for 2.5hrs.

Maybe I had higher hopes but it's not amazing, but its decent enough. I'm still going to add wax to the wheels as a extra barrier.
TBH, a "normal" reply is exactly what I wanted. I like detailing but im definitely not a pro lol. Thanks for the advice. Did you use a fallout remover before?

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Quick wash and polish.. the paint is a mess, but will do for now.

C15EFD33-8373-497D-B389-F15F50D648E5.jpeg
4BDF7C08-0826-43A1-88FF-D8EE2AA02318.jpeg

36983E6D-87BC-4CF2-B9EA-E11CDC3A0A7B.jpeg

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Good idea to ask the dealer not to touch it, I specifically asked mine to not wash the car when it was in for a service and got it back half cleaned and fully scratched..

Usually I avoid that by dropping it off squeaky clean but didn't have time and this is the result :(

20200316_113102.jpg

Hard to see but you can see the exact wipe pattern of the dirty cloths they've used..

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Good idea to ask the dealer not to touch it, I specifically asked mine to not wash the car when it was in for a service and got it back half cleaned and fully scratched..

Usually I avoid that by dropping it off squeaky clean but didn't have time and this is the result :(

View attachment 1459599

Hard to see but you can see the exact wipe pattern of the dirty cloths they've used..
It's probably all in vein because the car is swirly anyway. But I just dont want any more lasting damage. I'd rather know that I'm not furthering the damage and then I can correct it.

Also a pretty great way to justify all the detailing stuff I've just bought 😈

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Exactly, I was so proud of the little amount of swirls I had after two years of ownership (surprisingly got a practically swirl free car!)

But it was in need of a light polish anyway.

And no need to justify buying detailing stuff.. It gets harder when you've got to convince the wife that those pots of wax need to be stored in the fridge ;)

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
TBH, a "normal" reply is exactly what I wanted. I like detailing but im definitely not a pro lol. Thanks for the advice. Did you use a fallout remover before?

I paid £23 delivered so I'd give it a go for that. As said, I thought I'd have to just jetwash it off and that was that, but washing is still a must. It's better than having no product so that's a good thing. Feels different to wax too, so maybe that's why I was comparing. I've done it now and I'll use wax every now and again as a top up.

I also used bilt hamber wheel cleaner when cleaning and tar remover to try and get most of the crap off before I degreased them. My wheels are 3 years old so did the best I could do. I'd imagine its best done after freshy powercoated/painted or on new wheels.

I put dlux on my wheels when I had them refurbished four years ago. It still works like I applied it last week. The brake dust just wipes off.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
I put dlux on my wheels when I had them refurbished four years ago. It still works like I applied it last week. The brake dust just wipes off.
I'm a bit fan of car pro stuff since getting their shampoo. It's a similar price to GTechniq stuff. Maybe I'll give that a whirl instead. Need 2 wheels returned and then theyll be perfect and I'll coat them.

Just washed my new one for the first time and wow. Love that feeling!

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
20200317_075133.jpg

Woke up this morning to this. This is the result of bilt hamber snow foam, followed by EZ fallout remover, car pro reset shampoo and then that really cheap turtle wax spray on ceramic coating I bought a few months ago. Quite impressed for a quick go in the dark 🤪

Reactions: MLB

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I use dlux on my Yozza exhaust tips. Before I used to have to get the autosol and 000 wire wool out, now I just literally wipe the tips with a microfibre cloth every now and then and it shines like new, takes seconds.

Clio 172 Cup
Hi can anyone recommend a good interior plastics restorer for dash ect , used normal dash cleaners but don’t restore the finish. Thanks. Mark

SI-STI 2.35 & RC-172
Quick wash and polish.. the paint is a mess, but will do for now.

View attachment 1459596View attachment 1459597
View attachment 1459598
Hi can anyone recommend a good interior plastics restorer for dash ect , used normal dash cleaners but don’t restore the finish. Thanks. Mark
Carpro Perl at 5:1 dilution works lovely for interior,its a very versatile product as it can be used all around the car plastics and rubber inside or out.SJ.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It's great and looks great on tyres at the right dilution. Highly recommended.

Dlux is the only thing I use on wheels and metal also. I've tried loads and none last like dlux. So easy to clean afterwards

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
1:1 on tyres for me but you will get away with way less and 10:1 for everything else really.

Crazylegs

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I use this stuff, lasts for ages as well.

SI-STI 2.35 & RC-172
I use this stuff, lasts for ages as well.

Another quality product that I use regularly but mostly in my engine bay after a deep clean, not as versatile as Perl but superb none the less.FU.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Might try that car pro Perl. Does it last well on the rubber trim around windows or will it need a top up often? Or should I just stick with Gtechniq C4.

SI-STI 2.35 & RC-172
Might try that car pro Perl. Does it last well on the rubber trim around windows or will it need a top up often? Or should I just stick with Gtechniq C4.
It will last if used neat but would still recommend topping up,Gtechniq C4 is more durable but I never had that two years durability that they state 6 months at best,Carpro perl being a water based product is much more versatile though and can also be diluted down.SJ.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah the C4 last ages on actual plastic I find but not so much on the rubber trim etc. And it's a faff to apply versus other products. Think I'll give it a try on my next order anyway.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Quick question. With the supposed "lockdown" that might be approaching the UK, I am getting all my detailing gear in order as it sounds like we might all have a bit more spare time. Looking for a panel wipe to get rid of any existing wax / sealant as well as clearing the panel after polishing. Ive heard of 99% IPA (impossible to find currently). Has anyone used a lower % IPA? Would like 85% work?

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
SRP is full of fillers though. I use Gyeon Prep or an IPA mix. Heard good things about Nanolex EX as well.

If you want to remove wax or sealant you'd probably be better off with something like Bilt Hamber cleanser fluid as I don't think Prep is designed to remove wax.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Might pop on to amazon on Monday to try and get prime. Not convinced many things will be available shortly and dont want it to hinder the progress. If I cant get it, I'll just use SRP and then a good wax to seal it all in. Be nice to do a proper correction though as I've got the time