ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Crazylegs

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Has anyone had their Titanium Silver 182 machine polished at all? If so, how does it look and does it make the Silver stand out better?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
IMG_20210216_110040.jpg

Looking forward to trying these bits. Have promised to chill with buying stuff.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
After using auto foam and the reputation I can't see me getting anything else.

80ml in a 2litre sprayer, 5l will last me ages

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Cleaning question. What can I get in a decent quantity that will take exhaust smoke/soot off paint?
It's on a boat and when the wind is blowing the wrong direction it blows onto the white paintwork when we are pushing onto a turbine. It's also on the orange but not as noticeable but would like to do the whole boat as we can't get out to get it painted just yet.

Would some sort of traffic film remover work? Anything decent that you can get in 5ltr or more? Probably just using a bucket and brush to clean it with but I could take my jetwash in if something works with a snow foam bottle?

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Has anyone had their Titanium Silver 182 machine polished at all? If so, how does it look and does it make the Silver stand out better?

Not a Clio but first time I clayed and polished my silver Seat Leon (it hadn't been clayed or polished in at least a decade) it was night and day!

Flake pop was a lot better and the whole thing was gleaming in the sunshine rather than just looking clean.

Clio 2.0 138hp
Cleaning question. What can I get in a decent quantity that will take exhaust smoke/soot off paint?
It's on a boat and when the wind is blowing the wrong direction it blows onto the white paintwork when we are pushing onto a turbine. It's also on the orange but not as noticeable but would like to do the whole boat as we can't get out to get it painted just yet.

Would some sort of traffic film remover work? Anything decent that you can get in 5ltr or more? Probably just using a bucket and brush to clean it with but I could take my jetwash in if something works with a snow foam bottle?
Traffic film remover would be my first thought. An all purpose cleaner like bilt hamber surfex might also work. I might even suggest some autosmart g101, but that stuff can be dangerous in the wrong hands.
From my boat cleaning experience it will likely still leave some staining even once cleaned.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Traffic film remover would be my first thought. An all purpose cleaner like bilt hamber surfex might also work. I might even suggest some autosmart g101, but that stuff can be dangerous in the wrong hands.
From my boat cleaning experience it will likely still leave some staining even once cleaned.
Cheers.
It's a work boat so doesn't need to be gleaming like a mega yacht but it's getting grubby now.
I'll look for some traffic film remover then and go from there.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Silver and especially titanium silver, comes alive when properly cleaned. The trick with light colours is less about machine work and more about decontamination.

Crazylegs

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Silver and especially titanium silver, comes alive when properly cleaned. The trick with light colours is less about machine work and more about decontamination.

Hi mate

That's good to hear, was just wondering how Silver would turn out as it's kind of a middle colour isn't it as in it's not too dark and not too light if you get me.

Cheers

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Titanium is one of the best silvers ever made, changes so much in the light yet has so much flake.

Not quite as good VFM as the Car Chem offer as posted on page before but has anyone seen/tried the EZ detailing build-a-bucket deal?

2x20L buckets, 9x500ml products, 4x accessories all for £75! (Normally £175)

Or 8x 500ml at £40! Dont know if thats normal price or what but seems decent prices for smaller volumes of different products.

That said, ive never actually used any of their products but have seen them before.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Not quite as good VFM as the Car Chem offer as posted on page before but has anyone seen/tried the EZ detailing build-a-bucket deal?

2x20L buckets, 9x500ml products, 4x accessories all for £75! (Normally £175)

Or 8x 500ml at £40! Dont know if thats normal price or what but seems decent prices for smaller volumes of different products.

That said, ive never actually used any of their products but have seen them before.

Dog s**t apparently according to the people on Detailing Central on Facebook.

2014 Clio 200t edc
Maybe a stupid question, but I have a karcher washer, and notice that most detainers use those little coloured nozzles on the end of the handgun instead of fitting the supplied lances. Is there any benefit to them with my novice cleaning? Are they better for spraying the car?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Maybe a stupid question, but I have a karcher washer, and notice that most detainers use those little coloured nozzles on the end of the handgun instead of fitting the supplied lances. Is there any benefit to them with my novice cleaning? Are they better for spraying the car?

That's for the stubby lances mate.

It allows you to change the spray angle for different purposes.

White 40°, green 25°, orange 15°

2014 Clio 200t edc
That's for the stubby lances mate.

It allows you to change the spray angle for different purposes.

White 40°, green 25°, orange 15°
Ah ok, so I’d need the stubby Lance as well? do I need those spray angles for basic washing of the amply shed? (I’m no expert!!)

2014 Clio 200t edc
Saved me a few quid there then, thank you. Genuinely thought they’d make a massive difference or something.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
You can get a QR adaptor to run them to save having to use the full lance. I've got one for mine and it's a nice upgrade, Less than 20 quid as well

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I find myself in a new situation! Past 5 years I've lived in a flat and have always taken the car to a local DIY jet wash place to pre-wash, before bringing home for a polish etc.

I now have a house and therefore a drive :) so... I need a bucket, sponge/mitt and shampoo. Pretty basic stuff but any recommendations? I have a really old jet wash (Halfords own brand) which was bought for me but never used. I've had a quick test and it's okay but very loud and leaks lol. If I can get it going properly is a snow foam actually worth it, and if so how I can be sure of compatibility?

Anything else I'm missing?

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Meguairs Yellow bucket is great.
If you are just starting out, Autoglym or Meguairs is good stuff.

Whats wrong with my 97p buckets from B&Q? 😂 got orange and black so i can distinguish between my wash and rinse bucket?
Dont actually know if a grit guard will fit in it though?

Sponge? 😱 some might die at that, depends what you want to do to your car? Own car and want to minimise risk or swirls or lease car that send back end of term?

Personally i'd try and get intouch with local Autosmart guy and see they'd supply you, i'd go for their Duet shampoo, (wash and wax) but not very suddy and is fairly expensive think it was about £40 for 5 litres, but only need a small amount in bucket.

Sponge/mitt - they have a range on truck from sponge to mitt to synthetic lambswool. Or something like this?

Snow foam - not sure if gimmicky? I still snow foam myself and understand the theory, but i still have to wash by hand afterwards anyway? I can see it does take some dirt off but got to question how much before contact if required.

Benefit of having a snowfoam lance is that you can then use those sealant products - like Autosmart Aquaseal Pro if you dont have the time to wax your car afterwards.

Re fitment, im not too sure but someone who sells the lances may have more insight, i maybe wrong but i think the Halfords B&Q and Screwfix machines maybe very similar and someone might be able to sort you out?

Congrats on the house btw!

Edited to add:
Link to halfords snowfoam lance if yours is a PW10 or PW20?

Last edited:

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Wash mitt. Amazon or similar.

Shampoo. Loads to pick from depending on wether you have been protecting the car. If you have been get a pH neutral shampoo.

Auto foam is good, 22 for 5 litres and will last ages. 80ml in a 2 litre sprayer iirc.

Wash bucket. Any.

Decent drying towel..

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
This sounds like a daft question but is there an easy way to remove the dirt runs that end up down the doors from water that comes from the mirrors?

Had to resort to claying after a pre-wash, snow foam, contact wash and then going over with shampoo directly on the mitt as they still wouldn't come out. Also had gave it a blast of tar/fallout removers but they didn't budge until I clayed it.

Fair enough it hadn't been contact washed in 3ish months over winter but it's been jet washed with a pre-wash every couple of weeks.

Lack of sealant/wax? Wasn't really protected by much previously.