ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
First clean of a neighbour's new car today.. don't think it's been cared for at all really.

Pressure washed half a ton of tree junk and moss out of every bloody orifice... Snow'd it, Bathe+, wetcoat then a wipe down with a towel and a sprinkling of BSD.

PXL_20210411_154852134-01.jpeg

Only got afters.. needs a correction and some bits and bobs sorting.. scuffs on rear corners, front bumper looks awful and a bollard bump and offensive scrapes on passenger door.

Cracking looking little thing, he's 21 and a mighty upgrade from his first car - 107 pug.

However...

Got some weird marks on the offside RQP... @Gally wotfink ?! Bad respray ? Don't think it's overspray and don't want to go over with a polish and take the paint off o_O

Borderline impossible to see in pics especially due to the colour and current weather..... You should be able to make out rough sections ?!

PXL_20210411_175457620.jpg

PXL_20210411_175333371.jpg

Any thoughts appreciated !

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
That’s been painted badly and the moisture from the primer is coming back through.
What he said. Can be another reaction but mostly that.

Looks like a bit of shrinkage also. Definitely resprayed and definitely an issue. Most cars have issues right enough, especially if you look close enough.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
What he said. Can be another reaction but mostly that.

Looks like a bit of shrinkage also. Definitely resprayed and definitely an issue. Most cars have issues right enough, especially if you look close enough.
Interestingly, I had a guy call up on a 2012 Jag that I’m selling.

“alright mate. Is it in immaculate condition?”

no

“Why do you mean? Is it battered??”

no. It’s a lovely example and we’re pleased to have it in stock. Will make someone a lovely car.

“But it’s not immaculate?”

no. It’s 11 years old and has 68,000 miles on it. It’s far from immaculate. In fact, aside from maybe 2 or 3 concours cars over the years, I’ve never seen an immaculate car.

“so it’s got dents and scratches?”

Nope. not a single dent or scratch sir, it’s lovely.

“so it is mint?”

Absolutely not no. It’s a used car. It has stone chips, the paint has swirls albeit minor, the steering wheel has gone ever so slightly shiny at the top and the boot plastics have a couple of very small marks on them.

“you sound a bit fussy”

no I’m not. I’m just honest. You asked me if it was immaculate. I’m just telling you that it isn’t.

“ok mate I’ll have a think and call you back...”

Byeeeeeeee! 👋

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Haha! He has never been told the truth by a car salesman in his life! You caught him off guard. Don't you get a lot of feedback like that?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Haha! He has never been told the truth by a car salesman in his life! You caught him off guard. Don't you get a lot of feedback like that?
Yes. Lots of our reviews mention our blunt honesty. Positively of course! 😂

M2 Comp
Can anyone recommend a product to use as a drying aid? Looking for something that is easy to apply and can also be used on windows and trim..

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
If you want to spray and rinse then diluted wet coat is pretty good. Or as Riz says. I've yet to found anything as good or economical as rapid detailer. I love this stuff!

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Can anyone recommend a product to use as a drying aid? Looking for something that is easy to apply and can also be used on windows and trim..

Autofinnesse aqua coat spray on wet car pressure wash off towel dry job done! thank me later👍😉

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
What pad do I use with Tripple?

I have an unopened 12years old Yellow SFX pad 😂... Is that too aggressive

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Had an ill fitting cover on the Porsche over winter, and it caused a few marks on the hips of the Porsche, so spent a few hours on it this evening.

First time since I owned my 172 that I’ve actually enjoyed cleaning/polishing a car. It was nice to not over complicate it, just hand polishing instead of a machine, not worrying about 1000 steps. Autofinesse Tripple was lovely to use too, nothing overly special results wise, but can’t argue with the time/effort. I hate waxing, so it’s a benefit that it’s not a must with Tripple, although I will put a coat on in the future. Warm weather, radio 1 dance, and a beer. Perfect 👍

392E07F0-F400-4C38-8B39-0EBABB1EA30B.jpeg
FB6D6E70-4241-41D1-974B-E737306845CB.jpeg

image.jpg

22F4061D-81F1-4A8E-9195-39F9ED371AE1.jpeg

Last edited:

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
What pad do I use with Tripple?

I have an unopened 12years old Yellow SFX pad 😂... Is that too aggressive
What machine?

Rupes yellow ideally with s rupes machine. With DA. Chemical guys white pad possibly or lake country white. Rupes white also good but very soft.

My favourite one step is rupes yellow and sonax perfect finish. Epic!

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
What machine?

Rupes yellow ideally with s rupes machine. With DA. Chemical guys white pad possibly or lake country white. Rupes white also good but very soft.

My favourite one step is rupes yellow and sonax perfect finish. Epic!

An original Megs g220.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I've used chem guys white over the years to great effect. Cleansing and polishes well. Lake country also white iirc.

There will be more DA pads out these days that I haven't used. I only use Bigfoot these days.

Reactions: riz

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Yeah on the fence. Didn't use it in a while and doesn't leave with me too much of a wow. Brought some shinee wax in so will throw some on after.

Owen

ClioSport Admin
I’ve bought some new mats - what would be a good protectant to spray on them prior to fitting? Gyeon, Gtechniq, Carpro etc.

Also I have a lot of black textured trim on the car (Mazda CX5) which I’m currently applying AF Revive to, which being water based just washes off. Is the Solution Finish trim restorer any good? I’m not sure if I trust myself with something fussy like C4 as I fear I’d bugger it up!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
I’ve bought some new mats - what would be a good protectant to spray on them prior to fitting? Gyeon, Gtechniq, Carpro etc.

Also I have a lot of black textured trim on the car (Mazda CX5) which I’m currently applying AF Revive to, which being water based just washes off. Is the Solution Finish trim restorer any good? I’m not sure if I trust myself with something fussy like C4 as I fear I’d bugger it up!

Any of the fabric sealants are good. I've used the Gtechniq and Gyeon and there's nothing in it between the two, both easy to use.

You can't really mess up a trim coating mate. Go for CarPro Dlux and you can use it on trim and wheels. It's literally wipe it on, wait a minute and then wipe off.