ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Fiesta ST-2
Anyone had experience with the EZ car care range? Good value or you get what you pay for?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Clio 2.0 138hp
Anyone had experience with the EZ car care range? Good value or you get what you pay for?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
According to a few big names in detailing, you are better off using watered down p*ss before buying anything from EZ. Ive also seen hundreds of bad reviews about their customer service and stupidly long delivery.

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
The only fallout remover that gets close to BH is Iron-X and you can have it in lemon fragrance too.

I say ‘lemon’ when what I mean is ‘lemon lying on a pile of dog sh*t’

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Just used KKD Blizzard snow foam, pretty good stuff and smells of Tutti Frutti.

I bought some Autoglanz Iron remover and I think it was diluted as it was pish

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Another probably newbie question, if I'm going to spend a load of time cutting and polishing, I figure it probably makes it a good time to apply a ceramic coating. I assume you'd want to apply a ceramic coat after using the cutting compound, but before applying wax/polish? My only concern is that the finish may not be as good if you ceramic coat slightly hazy paint after a cut?

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
What materials/ceramic coating are you planning to use?

First remove heavy defects/scratches with heavy/medium cut polish, then remove hazing and light swirls with light cut polish, finish off with ceramic coating.

I personally wouldn't use any wax on top of a coating.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Another probably newbie question, if I'm going to spend a load of time cutting and polishing, I figure it probably makes it a good time to apply a ceramic coating. I assume you'd want to apply a ceramic coat after using the cutting compound, but before applying wax/polish? My only concern is that the finish may not be as good if you ceramic coat slightly hazy paint after a cut?
I mean this in the nicest possible way, but if you don’t know what you’re doing, leave it to the professionals.

I’ve done 3 ceramic coatings in my time and being blunt, I wouldn’t do another one unless I was charging £1200 as a minimum. It’s a LOT of work.

very briefly, and by no means a comprehensive guide;

Remove number plates, badges, door trims etc.
wash car
Decontaminate car
Wash car
Cut Machine polish
Refine machine polish
Panel wipe EVERY bit of paint on the car
Then…
Panel wipe EVERY bit of paint on the car again.
Ceramic coat - make sure the weather isn’t too hot or cold mind you!
Leave indoors for a minimum of 12 hours to cure.
Clean/polish all trims and badges, all new badge tape and refit.

its f**king hard work.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah you might be better off with one of these 12 month coatings too I think they're supposed to be a bit easier to use. If you want to get the best out of your ceramic coating you definitely want to do all the prep work that Daniel suggests.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks guys, I have ceramic coated before but it was on a nearly brand new car that I had always washed very carefully so no correction beforehand was needed. Definitely in danger of trying to do too much though so probably best to start with what I've planned already, then worry about a ceramic coat later if needed.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Just spread the work over multiple days. Once the paintwork has been corrected it won't be much work to get it ready for a coating in the future.

If you can't work indoors something like Gyeon cancoat is quite easy to apply outside on a cool, dry day.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Just spread the work over multiple days. Once the paintwork has been corrected it won't be much work to get it ready for a coating in the future.

If you can't work indoors something like Gyeon cancoat is quite easy to apply outside on a cool, dry day.
I'm off work next week so that's the plan, get it corrected then polished up, assuming the weather is nice and overcast but not pissing it down anyway.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
I mean this in the nicest possible way, but if you don’t know what you’re doing, leave it to the professionals.

I’ve done 3 ceramic coatings in my time and being blunt, I wouldn’t do another one unless I was charging £1200 as a minimum. It’s a LOT of work.

very briefly, and by no means a comprehensive guide;

Remove number plates, badges, door trims etc.
wash car
Decontaminate car
Wash car
Cut Machine polish
Refine machine polish
Panel wipe EVERY bit of paint on the car
Then…
Panel wipe EVERY bit of paint on the car again.
Ceramic coat - make sure the weather isn’t too hot or cold mind you!
Leave indoors for a minimum of 12 hours to cure.
Clean/polish all trims and badges, all new badge tape and refit.

its f**king hard work.

I actually put a post like this together but couldn't cause I felt like an arse. Thanks for doing this Daniel, definitely needs to heed advice that has been given here.

Ceramic coatings are very very unforgiving, if you're unsure if you do this after a cut and pre polish or after a polish then stay away.

As Daniel says I mean this in the best possible way. Maybe look at a semi permanent coating instead?

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
FK have a patent on some of their products, it will help but not as much as you may think. I love FK. Honest as the day is long, slick, glossy and a massive bottle for the money. My first ever quick detailer over 10 years ago.
Any other suggestions for some sort of sealant that repels dust a bit more than others?

Probably looking for a unicorn but the motivation to wash the dust off it everyweek after just being parked is non existant.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I would use rapid detailer as a qd. Light layer of dust. Deep pile MF. I do it a lot.

But I have a company car and it's not black. It's super clean and ceramic coated so I don't worry about light marring as the coating works.

Clio RS 200
Not sure if this is really a detailing question, or whether it is a bit beyond detailing.

I was at Lydden Hill at the weekend and as I came round a corner the car in front of me was rolling and came to a standstill in my path, I managed to avoid the stationary car but came off the track on to the grass.

I have managed to scuff the lower part of my Clio 200 front bumper. The surface of the brown areas feels scratched and is not smooth. The scuffs on the drivers side closer to the wheel look like they will polish out okay. I am not sure what has caused the brown scuff marks other than the grass that I ended up on.

IMG_2043 (1).jpeg

Can anyone recommend the best way to deal with the marks? I think that the bumper is just plastic so has no paint on it - although I could be wrong. Could I just use something like Meguiars Ultimate Compound to see if the area can be cleaned up of the brown dirt/residue and then just use a polisher to see if the scratchy surface can be smoothed out?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Just found it gave nicer looks. Of the three I'd go therapy, bsd, graphene. Not loads between them, application etc. That would be my personal top three. 👍

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Better looking that the hatch IMO. I find the hatch a bit awkward but the saloon better proportioned. Not as well proportioned as the last gen A3 saloon however.

Hxrry

so-wax.com
ClioSport Trader
Better looking that the hatch IMO. I find the hatch a bit awkward but the saloon better proportioned. Not as well proportioned as the last gen A3 saloon however.
See I much prefer the hatch shape and curves, especially when comparing the two a35’s. I do agree though, Audi nailed the saloons with those cars. I had an s3 saloon which I adored, I went to buy a hatch but fell in love with the saloon when I saw one in person.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Just found it gave nicer looks. Of the three I'd go therapy, bsd, graphene. Not loads between them, application etc. That would be my personal top three. 👍
Application isn't comparable between the two. Everyone who has used bsd is disappointed in application, very grabby and works better when mixed.

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
Another winner from Garage Therapy. This time sigma ceramic spray sealant. Always a bit sceptical of this type of product as the term’s been used and abused to death.

This however is seriously good stuff. Easy to work with (spritz, buff, flip towel and buff again), leaves a really nice gloss and a lot of slickness. Will try out on my daily for a proper test of durability as soon as I can. Smells bloody nice too.

4BDD3523-E738-4FA0-9C15-0C14D842B40E.jpeg

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
First time washing a car at my house in over 12 years. What a night! Like rolling back the years!