ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Oh your definitely 'special' just not in the way you think you are

😁
Have you been chatting to @Cub. ?

200.gif

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
So… I haven’t picked up a machine polisher properly for about 5 years. We had a 2018 Ford Fiesta come in part exchange at work and the chap had it ‘cleaned’ every week at the local hand car wash…

needless to say, I had my work cut out. I bought a DA polisher from @imprezaworks but as it turned out, I needed to do the car before it arrived so I had to get the rotary out. Not something I was keen on doing when I’m so out of practice but also, the car is solid black not metallic, so I knew I’d be chasing holograms all day but hey ho. It is what it is.

I used Meguires ultimate compound on a medium pad, then some Menzerna swirl remover. (3000 iirc??)

I’m really pleased with the results, this is it finished and me checking it outside, and tomorrow I’ll wax it with some hybrid wax that I bought from Dawn ages ago. Hopefully that will keep it looking nice for a fair while.

My arms ache.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
So rewarding.

Just dont admire in direct sunlight lol
The passenger door was questionable, so I re-did that, but on the whole I was really pleased with it.
I’ve washed it now with some really hot water and fairy liquid to strip all the fillers and polish off it to hopefully see the ‘true’ condition of the paint. I’ll see what greets me when I get in tomorrow. 😂😂😂😂
Expect a post in TIDL…

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

New synergy boost spray sealant. Impressed so far. Great time of the year to try it. I know michael and the team have spent a long time perfecting it.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Anyone noticed the traffic film seem really bad this winter? Seems terrible in Yorkshire like the cars covered in oil.

And on that note… what’s peoples go to TFR?
I’ve stopped using it on my own cars. It dulls the plastics really bad.

but for work cars, I always use Autoglym. Seems to be the best combo of effective cleaning but won’t stain if you leave it on too long.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Power maxed tfr is good
I’ve stopped using it on my own cars. It dulls the plastics really bad.

but for work cars, I always use Autoglym. Seems to be the best combo of effective cleaning but won’t stain if you leave it on too long.

thanks both, yeah I’m not a fan but can’t seem to shift it at the moment. Took me about an hour to just clean the windscreen, never seen it so bad.

106 gti
Getting the wheels refurbed on my ST, can anyone recommend a decent wheel sealant and how long I should be waiting before applying it?

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Getting the wheels refurbed on my ST, can anyone recommend a decent wheel sealant and how long I should be waiting before applying it?

Came here to post the same question! I will ask the refurb company if they can apply it before putting the tyres on.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Depends if they're being powdercoated or sprayed really.

If sprayed, you should ideally wait a few days. Although it probably wouldn't harm them coating a day or so after.

Just make sure you give them a wipe down with panel wipe to remove any surface oils.

I've only used Gyeon Rim and Gtechniq C5.

The Gtechniq feels nicer to apply and remove, the Gyeon is a bit 'sticky'.

They both work well.

You'll want to do 2 coats ideally, with 12 hours or so between coats. Store them indoors too while curing if you can. Bit cold to do outside this time of year.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Another vote for Gtechniq C5, I rate it highly. I use it on my Track wheels and it performs.

Have you tried using Wetcoat by spraying it on and spreading it in with a wet microfibre?

I tried it the other day and it's miles better 😂

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
TBH, on the wheel 'sealant' front, I havent found much to work for any real period of time on wheels.

C4/C5 doesnt last on my wheels for that long, all properly done too. They were freshly painted aswell so no risk of contamination. Shame really as when theyre coated theyre a breeze to clean!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
TBH, on the wheel 'sealant' front, I havent found much to work for any real period of time on wheels.

C4/C5 doesnt last on my wheels for that long, all properly done too. They were freshly painted aswell so no risk of contamination. Shame really as when theyre coated theyre a breeze to clean!

About a year is what i get.

Top up with Wetcoat every clean.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
About a year is what i get.

Top up with Wetcoat every clean.
Ah, okay. Not just me then!

I got less but then again I wasnt topping up with anything so thats probably why. I might pull them off, old wheels on, and give them another coating.

I fancy giving the KKD Revolve a go this time as apparently it lasts a fair bit longer

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182

I got less but then again I wasnt topping up with anything so thats probably why. I might pull them off, old wheels on, and give them another coating.

I fancy giving the KKD Revolve a go this time as apparently it lasts a fair bit longer

Depends what you're cleaning them with too.

I do two coats and leave to cure indoors, but not always possible on a daily.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Depends what you're cleaning them with too.

I do two coats and leave to cure indoors, but not always possible on a daily.
Never use anything too caustic/acidic on my own wheels as theyre nearly always coated!

Like I say, ive got a whole spare set of wheels and tyres so i can swap them over whenever really. I should do it before it gets too shitty out tbh.

Only problem is, I did a Detail on a Jag for a friend yesterday. Now ive got his wifes car booked in (Abarth 500), his brother wants his RR SVR done and another friend of his wants his 911 Turbo doing. FML. Think I was a bit too cheap and did too good of a job :ROFLMAO:

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Never use anything too caustic/acidic on my own wheels as theyre nearly always coated!

Like I say, ive got a whole spare set of wheels and tyres so i can swap them over whenever really. I should do it before it gets too shitty out tbh.

Only problem is, I did a Detail on a Jag for a friend yesterday. Now ive got his wifes car booked in (Abarth 500), his brother wants his RR SVR done and another friend of his wants his 911 Turbo doing. FML. Think I was a bit too cheap and did too good of a job :ROFLMAO:

Be handing that notice in sooner rather than later at this rate 😂

106 gti
2C50FF9A-3FA7-4FE9-8AA8-2D40DBD776FB.jpeg

Did end up just sticking with Wetcoat for now until I am advised of anything better! Never really been too bothered about wheel sealants - usually just chuck whatever I was using on the paint 🤣

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Have you ever tried foaming gyeon bathe+? Apparently that works really well as well.

I haven't and I think with how little of an amount of SiO2 in Bathe+, I don't think it'd last very long.

Easily see 2 months, maybe 3 out of Wetcoat.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member

I put Revolve on my wheels 2 years ago. Took them off to clean / remove wheel weights before going to the tyre shop...

PXL_20221119_112318204.jpg

PXL_20221119_112421601.jpg

On a separate note, I needed to do the ceramic on the paint. The infinity wax 1 year ceramic lasted 18 months, but was really dead now.

So a quick one step polish for the daily was in order followed by the new synergy ceramic 2 year.

Also my mate had a free afternoon so PPF'd some random bits on the car. Front grille, headlights, wings and all the gloss black window trim / b pillars. Was going to do the front bumper but it already has enough chips that will show up so I didn't think it was worth his time.

Finished results were good though -

PXL_20221129_190733301.jpg

PXL_20221129_190740553.jpg

PXL_20221129_190758370.jpg

PXL_20221129_190749132.jpg

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
I haven't and I think with how little of an amount of SiO2 in Bathe+, I don't think it'd last very long.

Couple of weeks at most, more something if you're weekly washing. Easy enough though but I'm with you on wetcoat easily lasting 2-3 months.

Also don't bother with the turtle wax wetcoat equivalent. Doesn't last as long and doesn't spread as easily as wetcoat

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Have you ever tried foaming gyeon bathe+? Apparently that works really well as well.

I didn't rate Bathe+ in general, held suds for 0.536 of a second. I just used it for cleaning my wheels in the end.

I'm 100% going to try it with a wet microfibre next time. Emma's A3 gets fewer washing than the 340 but my god is it a doddle to clean when it does get washed after treating it with Wetcoat the previous wash.

Reactions: MLB

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
I put Revolve on my wheels 2 years ago. Took them off to clean / remove wheel weights before going to the tyre shop...

View attachment 1622130

View attachment 1622131

On a separate note, I needed to do the ceramic on the paint. The infinity wax 1 year ceramic lasted 18 months, but was really dead now.

So a quick one step polish for the daily was in order followed by the new synergy ceramic 2 year.

Also my mate had a free afternoon so PPF'd some random bits on the car. Front grille, headlights, wings and all the gloss black window trim / b pillars. Was going to do the front bumper but it already has enough chips that will show up so I didn't think it was worth his time.

Finished results were good though -

View attachment 1622132

View attachment 1622133

View attachment 1622135

View attachment 1622134

Looks fantastic, one of the best colours to "reflect" the results too.