ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
What are the go to DA pads these days? Used to use 3M perfectit, lake country ccs or more recently (three years ago) the carpro ones… much of a muchness?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve recently switched to Meguires microfibre pads and I doubt I’ll ever change. Literally halved my machine polishing times.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I’ve recently switched to Meguires microfibre pads and I doubt I’ll ever change. Literally halved my machine polishing times.
Yeah if you can use MF properly they are a game changer. Cut is wiked.

I like rupes pads with the Bigfoot. White and yellow are great. Bit of perfect finish, yellow pad. Dogs danglies.

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
This might be a random question but how long do you spend machine polishing? If you’ve got a shitty panel, how many passes/applications or whatever you want to call it would you do.

This was the Clio bonnet

2BEECBAC-FE04-4BC7-8AFD-6E69D25FC893.jpeg

A bit of work I got this half and half but it still needs more. How much can I realistically do?
FDB4E86E-A9DB-4E18-BF20-3AAFC338DAF4.jpeg

Royal details

ClioSport Club Member
  Rb 182
This might be a random question but how long do you spend machine polishing? If you’ve got a shitty panel, how many passes/applications or whatever you want to call it would you do.

This was the Clio bonnet

View attachment 1633207

A bit of work I got this half and half but it still needs more. How much can I realistically do?
View attachment 1633208
As in how long spending machine polishing the car or how long till you burn the paint.
If the later then maybe get your self paint depth gauge and that way you can work out how much there is to play with

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
As in how long spending machine polishing the car or how long till you burn the paint.
If the later then maybe get your self paint depth gauge and that way you can work out how much there is to play with

Probably a bit of both. I’ve spent maybe 5 mins with the first compound the the same with the 2nd on that half. It’s never had paint and never been machined before so I’d guess I have plenty to play with.

Im using meguiars foam pads so f**k knows basically 🤷‍♂️. I think I’ll just go until it goes mint or bad. As long as it’s not the rear quarters I can but new panels 😂

Reactions: riz

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
After some pricing advice really.

A really good family friend has approached me about coating their new cars - a Tesla Model Y and a new Defender (the commercial one). The Tesla is new so shouldnt need much correcting but the defender will definitely need it.

Theyre really good friends so I dont want to spank them but im also thinking that its going to be a fair few days work. The Tesla maybe 2 days (prep + start polishing day 1, finish polishing and coat day 2). The defender is the size of a small village so thats going to easily be a 3 day job.

CQUK 3.0 is probably what id use - £100 roughly. I have pads, polisher, prep products etc etc.

I was thinking of asking for £300 for the Tesla and maybe £500 for the Defender?

Thoughts? :)

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
After some pricing advice really.

A really good family friend has approached me about coating their new cars - a Tesla Model Y and a new Defender (the commercial one). The Tesla is new so shouldnt need much correcting but the defender will definitely need it.

Theyre really good friends so I dont want to spank them but im also thinking that its going to be a fair few days work. The Tesla maybe 2 days (prep + start polishing day 1, finish polishing and coat day 2). The defender is the size of a small village so thats going to easily be a 3 day job.

CQUK 3.0 is probably what id use - £100 roughly. I have pads, polisher, prep products etc etc.

I was thinking of asking for £300 for the Tesla and maybe £500 for the Defender?

Thoughts? :)

Seems fair to me.

Could maybe to the Tesla in a day at a push, but you'd need a unit/garage and an early start.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Seems fair to me.

Could maybe to the Tesla in a day at a push, but you'd need a unit/garage and an early start.
I dont mind the graft, I quite enjoy the therapy of it (im weird, I know).

Garage is the only question at the moment. But I think I might have a solution for that - my garage currently has some rubbish ford in it 🤣.

Just looking at a local company to me:

New Cars (sub 1000 miles) for the tesla would be £500

Defender would be £700.

Considering im not a proper pro, I think my prices would be fair?

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Actually, just double checked. as the Defender is used, it would be £1000 from them for a 2 stage polish and coating. Jesus. Im in the wrong job 🤣 🤣

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Whats best product for polishing light swirls from gloss black wheels pref by hand application if poss before coating and what wheel ceramic do you all reccomend?

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Whats best product for polishing light swirls from gloss black wheels pref by hand application if poss before coating and what wheel ceramic do you all reccomend?
I find wheels a proper PITA.

I eventually ended up using some foam cone polishers I picked up cheap off ebay which attached to a drill.

Usual method - start light (in terms of cut) and work your way up. Turns out, the clearcoat on BMW wheels is just as hard as on the paint itself 🤣

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
I find wheels a proper PITA.

I eventually ended up using some foam cone polishers I picked up cheap off ebay which attached to a drill.

Usual method - start light (in terms of cut) and work your way up. Turns out, the clearcoat on BMW wheels is just as hard as on the paint itself 🤣

Yes had seen the cone polishers but not sure if they worked that well what products you use?

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Yes had seen the cone polishers but not sure if they worked that well what products you use?
I only had Megs Polish and Compound at the time I think. Compound was the go to, as well as the heaviest cut cone I had at the time. Worked pretty well considering but if youre shooting for perfection, the only logical solution seems to be these 1 inch micro polishers which are almost as much as I paid to have my wheels powder coated 🤣

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I dont mind the graft, I quite enjoy the therapy of it (im weird, I know).

Garage is the only question at the moment. But I think I might have a solution for that - my garage currently has some rubbish ford in it 🤣.

Just looking at a local company to me:

New Cars (sub 1000 miles) for the tesla would be £500

Defender would be £700.

Considering im not a proper pro, I think my prices would be fair?

Being honest I would just use Fusso after the Polish.

They would be amazed and it's 100% less hassle for you and would last as long.

Prices are fair for us but most public would think its crazy.

Coz iNdiaN

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
The soft or fusso black I had or have, think I borrowed it to a mate is fantastic. Easy to use, looks great and beads well.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Probably going to grab a Charles wet n dry for home but wondered any other decent recommendations?.

We use Charles in work and it's a solid thing.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Probably going to grab a Charles wet n dry for home but wondered any other decent recommendations?.

We use Charles in work and it's a solid thing.
I have a Bissel spot cleaner. Can’t praise it highly enough.
a lot easier to use at home than a Charles. But saying that, the Charles I used to have at work took a PROPER beating and never let me down. 😂

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I’ve been machining the Clio and the sides have come up great. However, I’m struggling to take some of the deeper swirls out of the roof and bonnet. I’m using maguiars compound which obviously isn’t the harshest so was looking for recommendations.

I’ve used poor boys ssr1 2.5 before, is that acceptable or is there better in the same price band I can use?

Awesome side
ACBA7631-0A43-46BC-9237-E6244767395F.jpeg

Less awesome roof
0A68F808-4EE1-4D14-9F1F-10748E7EB7B8.jpeg

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I found meguires average at best. Grab a bottle of Koch h9 and a decent pad, maybe a ccs yellow.

Be warned though the yellow pad can burn paint. Renault and honda paint are not it's friend lol

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I found meguires average at best. Grab a bottle of Koch h9 and a decent pad, maybe a ccs yellow.

Be warned though the yellow pad can burn paint. Renault and honda paint are not it's friend lol

That might not be the best option for me 😂. It’s not horrendous and passes the 10ft test comfortably; it’s only really in direct bright light they show.

Given I’m very much an amateur in this, is there something a bit less nuclear you?

Do the pads make much difference? I’m using ones from Halfords at the min, no idea what spec they are, just 3 different colour foam pads in a pack

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I would say yes and more so for durability.

If you wanted something less hi primer try the green hex from chemical guys with a decent compound.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
That might not be the best option for me 😂. It’s not horrendous and passes the 10ft test comfortably; it’s only really in direct bright light they show.

Given I’m very much an amateur in this, is there something a bit less nuclear you?

Do the pads make much difference? I’m using ones from Halfords at the min, no idea what spec they are, just 3 different colour foam pads in a pack
I haven't polished for a few years now (there may be some now wonder products on the market) but I always preferred to use pads as the variable. CG Hexlogic and 3M being my favourites.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
What's the best wheel ceramic coat that's easy to apply and what prep do I need just panel wipe?

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I would say yes and more so for durability.

If you wanted something less hi primer try the green hex from chemical guys with a decent compound.

I haven't polished for a few years now (there may be some now wonder products on the market) but I always preferred to use pads as the variable. CG Hexlogic and 3M being my favourites.

I’ll order a bottle of that Koch H9. Will I need something a bit finer to remove any swirls it leaves too?

As for those hexlogic pads, there’s a million colours. Is the green the one to use?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I really like the green, the yellow meh and the white mmm.

Koch do a refining polish after h9, M2 I think.....

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Chaps, a bit of help if I may.

I have somehow been roped in to polishing and waxing a mates car. I’ve told him I’ve not got the kit for the wax side of things so he’s going to buy some wax for me to use.

He has a budget of £60/70 and wants gloss/depth. Not arsed about water behaviour.

any recommendations at all? The car is Dog c0ck red.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR

I have somehow been roped in to polishing and waxing a mates car. I’ve told him I’ve not got the kit for the wax side of things so he’s going to buy some wax for me to use.

He has a budget of £60/70 and wants gloss/depth. Not arsed about water behaviour.

A good polish will make any wax look great.
I've got some Infinity Wax ones lying around if you need.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182

Gyeon Wax is well within budget, gives a decent shine and is idiot proof to use, can be left on for hours and still buff off effortlessly.

Will have plenty left over for the owner to reapply himself as it only lasts 3-6 months.