ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Need to remove some scratces and marks from my dad's car. I gave it a good going over with Menzerna Heavy Cut and it got so far, removed most of them but there were a few which wre just a bit too deep and this stuff wasn't quite getting there but it looks like they would come out. It is like I need the next grade up - would their Super Heavy Cut be the best? Or any other suggestions.

It is a new (I think about 2018 car?) and the paint is quite thick and hard so I have been happy to go at it more than I normally would (plus it isn't my paint work haha), no way would I be trying this if it were on my E34! I don't want to be wet sanding it as I am not that confident in doing that.

Either that or a harder pad. What pads are you using?

If going super aggressive and want to be safe, just short cycle the polishing sets, 2-3 passes and then wipe off and assess.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure on the pads, whatever that my DA came with! It’s not a fancy one but has been fine for what I’ve done.
Good advice on not going too mad, thanks! I might give the polish I linked a go then and see.
These marks are almost out, they just needed something a little more than the polish I was using. But I’ll probably give it a 2 passes and if it’s no better then call it a day to avoid burning through.
Thanks!!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure on the pads, whatever that my DA came with! It’s not a fancy one but has been fine for what I’ve done.
Good advice on not going too mad, thanks! I might give the polish I linked a go then and see.
These marks are almost out, they just needed something a little more than the polish I was using. But I’ll probably give it a 2 passes and if it’s no better then call it a day to avoid burning through.
Thanks!!

You have to go mad to burn through with a DA tbh, you'll be fine.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
What do people use to clean the outside face of the windscreen, something that doesn’t f**k up how the wipers work

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers I’ve used domestic glass cleaner once before on a cars windscreen and it made the wipers rubbish at clearing the water. Took ages for it to wear off too.

Regular glass cleaner shouldn't have any effect on the wipers clearing the screen.

Giving them a good polish with what Riz mentioned or Carpro Ceriglass will remove all contamination and give you a fresh base to apply a rain repellent.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Ive found that rubbish glass sealants are usually to blame for wiper judder or the wipers failing to clear water well.

As James said above, making the screen 100% clean of any contaminants but also any previous sealants are a great start.

The Glaco Glass Compound is, by far, the easiest way to do this. It comes with its own felt scrubber. Scrub away squeezing the bottle once in a while and it really does smash anything on there

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Cheers I’ve used domestic glass cleaner once before on a cars windscreen and it made the wipers rubbish at clearing the water. Took ages for it to wear off too.
Autoglym glass polish. It’s basic as s**t but clean all of your glass with it inside and out for the next 2/3 times you clean the car and it gets rid of all the old oils and crap. It’s brilliant and a good ‘reset’ before you do the glass sealant thing.

Also, clay your windscreen every time you clean the car.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Interesting ref glass cleaner as I’m after a new one. May grab the ag polish.

Used some of my due to me redundancy money and grabbed a bottle 👍

Last edited:

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Being on the verge of unemployment I’m looking for a hoover. We use the blue wet n dry Henry/george whatever it’s called in work. Looking to grab one for home/car use and wondered if anyone had the green, red or whatever. Or a strong recommendation on something better?

These Henry’s hoovers last for years with continued use.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Being on the verge of unemployment I’m looking a hoover. We use the blue wet n dry Henry/george whatever it’s called. Looking to grab one for home and wondered if anyone had the green, red or whatever. Or a strong recommendation on something better?

My screwfix Titan one seems pretty good to be fair

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Being on the verge of unemployment I’m looking for a hoover. We use the blue wet n dry Henry/george whatever it’s called in work. Looking to grab one for home/car use and wondered if anyone had the green, red or whatever. Or a strong recommendation on something better?

Nick the one from work leaving present🤣

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member

Go for a titan mate. Get the one with a seperate filter and they're ace.

What's the best thing to use to strip all LSP products? I have the time to wash and touchless decontaminate but unlikely the time to properly polish the fun car, so I'm going to apply a ceramic coating that apparently goes some way to hide the swirls. I'd like to create the best surface possible with the above before application.

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
What's the best thing to use to strip all LSP products? I have the time to wash and touchless decontaminate but unlikely the time to properly polish the fun car, so I'm going to apply a ceramic coating that apparently goes some way to hide the swirls. I'd like to create the best surface possible with the above before application.

Fairy liquid is remarkably good at removing pretty much everything.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
as @imprezaworks suggested, Megs Wash + is a great start.

Depending on how 'new'/'fresh' the LSP is, you might want to consider going whole hog and getting Garage Therapy Decon shampoo. Use it, with warm water, in the foam lance, dwell, blast, round 2 if you want, then use the same stuff in warm buckets of water. Get it washed then smash Wash + over it too. Mix up your GT Decon nice and strong too - I used to just slosh a bunch in. Wasteful but it definitely worked!

Id be surprised if many things survived that!

Ive tested quite a few products at stripping LSP's and the above is my 'go to' if im not going to clay/polish.

Thanks for the replies. I was under the impression that Fairy Liquid contained salts that could damage paintwork. Angel Wax Stripped-ease looks like a good shout, or tardis since it'll be part of the wet stage. Thanks.

Bought and used the Glaco polish and seal set at the weekend. My god, sod using any other product going forwards. So easy and brilliant results. Highly recommended and beading from 45mph. No need for wipers above 50-60mph.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Ok thanks.

This it?

IMG_3097.png