ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Is the sim180 as good of a machine? Also is it worth the extra £80 or so? Have to admit the colour coded pads/compounds would help as a complete newbie (obviously I have read the sticky guides) but have no actual experience!

Any beginners days down south or someone who wants to take me under their wing? :)

Golf GT & A4 Avant
G4 is a glass polish only

G1 is a long term glass sealant that lasts a couple of years, takes about an hour to apply and starts to bead water typically at 50mph.

G5 is a short term glass sealant lasting 6months +/-, takes 5minutes to apply and works from 25 - 30mph.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Has anyone noticed how many people are using 'claybar/claybarring' as the verb of to clay. Drives me mad!

Its a clay bar, a bar of clay, not a claybar.

If anything, claying, is to clay.

Clay.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Lol gally you b**ch! it's daft really as surely they are just making life harder for themselves through inflicting marring through the claying stage?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
hard to believe but....

No danger here as the contamination is being absorbed by the clay with no grittiness - obviously the clay was folded/kneaded before the next panel. The vehicle was detarred - most of what is being witnessed is sap with the odd stubborn rogue tar spot being lifted.
Cheers,
Adam

I've never known clay that bad after decon, but I'm just a billy so who knows

Evo 5 RS
FFS.

This is why even though I'm no expert, I'd rather attempt it myself than pay someone. As half the time you have no idea what they're like

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
P1020500.jpg

I'm sorry there is nothing in the world he could say to me that makes that sound right. You can even see the strike from the tar. You're not telling me it took all those off in one swipe and he just stopped straight away. Bulls**t.

I'm not even b**ching. I'm calling people out. I'm far from perfect! Far far from perfect. The fact is he's one of the professionals and it shows how unregulated the industry is.

Taking a different angle he actually fixed his f**k up by polishing the car, although he made is harder for himself. If the car had been less marred he may have saved himself from going for deeper marks he may have inflicted and saved more clearcoat.

If it was my car, I would have been unhappy no matter how shiny it looked!

Mental.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I'm fighting an uphill struggle on mx5nutz and mx5oc about this. Logic just goes straight over some people's heads it would seem.

If their mate "claybarred" their car with a kit from halfords and said its great then I must be wrong :|

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The thing is too most it makes the paint like glass. Then after they clay they polish by hand or wax so it looks so good, totally negating the fact they just damaged their own car!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Oh that'll be £200 Sir. Easy work if you can attract idiots who can't google (research) stuff.

133/225/CLS AMG
The thing is too most it makes the paint like glass. Then after they clay they polish by hand or wax so it looks so good, totally negating the fact they just damaged their own car!

That said though I think a lot of detailers anticipate a degree of marring when they use a clay. I recall Chemical Guys being asked why their clay block causes light marring and they were well aware of it and advised that a very light polish would remove it.

That said a lot of people totally miss the point of most detailing processes.

I mean how many times will you read a comment from someone saying 'I recommend this wax because it left my car looking good'. Completely missing the point that it's the prep work that is the main factor behind the shine.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I totally agree claying does lightly marr paint, even perfectly clean, no matter what lube or how careful you are it'll still leave some marks.

Point is you should be doing everything you can to make claying inflict the least amount of damage as possible. Claying tar off your car won't help!

Fiesta ST200
I totally agree claying does lightly marr paint, even perfectly clean, no matter what lube or how careful you are it'll still leave some marks.

Point is you should be doing everything you can to make claying inflict the least amount of damage as possible. Claying tar off your car won't help!

Gotta agree with gally on that.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
ffs! With the amount of time he spent on that he could have washed it properly!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I'm not sure if I think of him as an artist with his instrument, or a tool f#cking about not really doing a good job.

But fair play to him making what must be a boring, long day job into good old laugh.

Fiesta ST200
That was way too organised to be him tooling about. I think he genuinely does that every day.

Fair play to him though, I'll try it next time I'm at work. Any bets on me smashing the lance into the car at least 10 times?

Better make sure it's something cheap...

GTD, Lupo
Nice video, can only imagine how wet the car was inside. I tried to jet wash the door shut on my car! ended up going full r****d and got the inside of the car soaked.

The clay bar thing goes hand in hand with the whole "detailing" coment! A lad i work with told me he was detailing his car last week! when i asked what he had planned. Wash, clay, srp and some tyre shine. Detailed!

That was way too organised to be him tooling about. I think he genuinely does that every day.

Fair play to him though, I'll try it next time I'm at work. Any bets on me smashing the lance into the car at least 10 times?

Better make sure it's something cheap...

It looks like he does when he sprays inside the rear wheel arch and is moving it up and down.

The clay bar thing goes hand in hand with the whole "detailing" coment! A lad i work with told me he was detailing his car last week! when i asked what he had planned. Wash, clay, srp and some tyre shine. Detailed!

So true, one of my mates does exactly that and calls it detailing. He then tried telling me his paint looks and feels better than mine after it had had a de tar, de iron, clay, menzerna 106fa, prima amigo, AF TC and zaino z6 LOL. And he told me I was wasting my time with tardis and iron x cos the clay gets everything out.:rolleyes:

M2 Comp
Anybody recommend a decent wax to put over Z2?

I'll be using on a Performance Blue Fiesta ST. Budget ideally around £50/£60.