ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Diamond-cut 172cup wheels

172cup

Ive heard this is possible... but what do you think it would look like? And at what sort of price? Is there anyone on here that does wheel refurbs? Ive seen diamond cut voodoos and they look superb!

Are 172cup alloys called Turinis???

Im basically looking for options. I kerbed my wheels recently at roadworks with raised ironworks... my fault. Is it possible to get bigger 172cup wheels? i.e 17"s? What have other people done to to their 172cups as far as wheels are concerned? I love the cup wheels, and dont want to get rid of them really.

http://www.cliftonmoorracing.co.uk/gallery/Jo/CIMG0063.JPG

172 M69 eater

Quote: Originally posted by d.brown on 31 July 2005

Ive heard this is possible... but what do you think it would look like? And at what sort of price? Is there anyone on here that does wheel refurbs? Ive seen diamond cut voodoos and they look superb! good idea i reckon!! fred2001dynamic does it if you pm him!!

Are 172cup alloys called Turinis???yes speedline turinis

Im basically looking for options. I kerbed my wheels recently at roadworks with raised ironworks... my fault. Is it possible to get bigger 172cup wheels? i.e 17"s? What have other people done to to their 172cups as far as wheels are concerned? I love the cup wheels, and dont want to get rid of them really.

i wouldnt bother with 17s imo... jus slow it down

172cup

Wonderful thank you patty. I just might give him a PM. Do you know if it has been done before, or not? I just thought 17s would look a lot better, as 16s look v.v.v.small IMO

they wont look so small when you lower it.

the cup is all about performance, which will be ruined with 17"s. They should have 15"s i reckon!

Mk2 Golf GTI

i think 17" turinis look awesome on a Cup, especially in white. Theres pics of a cup with white turinis on this site somewhere and its probalby the best wheel combi for me with that colour car

172 M69 eater

stay with the 16s and spend some good money on coilys instead of the 17s mate jus look at the p/s i did for ya in the other thread!

big red bus

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 31 July 2005

diamond cutting 4 wheels ISNT cheap, ring me for a quote on other finishes

Can i just ask you a quick question... If i have a colour code, can get the colour and refurb the wheels in that colour?

Lionel Richie

Quote: Originally posted by Type_Mo on 31 July 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 31 July 2005

diamond cutting 4 wheels ISNT cheap, ring me for a quote on other finishes

Can i just ask you a quick question... If i have a colour code, can get the colour and refurb the wheels in that colour?

yes, but its not cheap colour coding a wheel

Deffo keep the 16s, defies the point in owning the Cup IMO if you adversely affect the performance on purpose. Best option I think is a standard refurb and re-done in white, looks fantastic.

Out of interest am I the only one who likes small wheels? Id love 15s and coilovers on my Cup! Ive seen bigger wheels on 172 Cups and they look a bit crap, the car is clearly geared up for performance, not showing off.

Personally Id never bother with diamond cutting on anything other than a show car.

When you diamond cut wheels youre effectively taking material off on lathe, you then lacquer straight over the shiny polished surface. The problems occur when the lacquer gets chipped from a stone and the wheel starts to corrode.

Look up BBS alloys and diamond cut if you dont believe me.

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by fUbAr on 31 July 2005

the cup is all about performance, which will be ruined with 17"s. They should have 15"s i reckon!
Why?

Quote: Originally posted by lagerlout1 on 01 August 2005

Quote: Originally posted by fUbAr on 31 July 2005

Why?
Smaller rolling radius, quicker acceleration.

Assuming the tyres wont keep the radius the same that is. You are also forgetting the weight of the tyres and wheels. Smaller doesnt always = lighter.

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 01 August 2005

Assuming the tyres wont keep the radius the same that is. You are also forgetting the weight of the tyres and wheels. Smaller doesnt always = lighter.

yeah depends on the profiles of the tyres. i would get them done in white and drop on coilovers... at least you will get some performance for your money and it will look so much better