ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DIY super ts refurb wheels pics

clio 172 flame red
just finished refurbing my oz super ts in a gun metal/ anthercite colour. it took f***ing ages as there were a bit of kurbing so alot of wet and dry was required.i might post some pics of the before stage but they were taken with my phone camera.here they are-

Attachments

• 12280002.JPG
    12280002.JPG
    475.6 KB · Views: 155
  • 12280005.JPG
    12280005.JPG
    457.2 KB · Views: 131
  • 12280008.JPG
    12280008.JPG
    481.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 12280010.JPG
    12280010.JPG
    492.8 KB · Views: 82
  www.renparts.co.uk
would have thought he would have used some filler if they were curbed mate... they look really good... think i might do same to some super t's when some come up at a good price.. good job ;)

clio 172 flame red
yes, it was a case of clean sand paint and sorry i did use quite a bit of filler forgot to mention . duno how long they will last or will they flake.

182 Cup
Question regarding this...do you sand ALL the old paint off the wheels or just the bits with the kerbing to get them smoothe?
A detailed step by step guide would be ace!

Punto/Clio GTT
dont need all the old paint off unless its a poor finish, ie cracks, reaction etc

just feather it back so its nice and smooth and each coat of old paint blends into the one underneath.

ide use P180 to start with on an orbital sander or by hand, fill what needs filling, rub down with P180 or maybe an old P80.

Finish with P180 then P320 to remove any deep scratches.

Can give it a wet flat with P800/P1000 or P1200 if you really want to, but theres no need as primer will cover P320 scratches.

Let your primer dry, depending on type.

2K (hardener 4/5:1 10% thinner) ide leave it overnight or at least a few hours.
Cellulose should be flatable in an hour or 2.

spray over the wheels a fine dust of black aerosol (matt/satin). This acts as a guidecoat, so when you wetflat the primer, any deep scratches will show and you'll be able to flat further and re-primer where necessary.

Wet flat primer with P800/P1000 or P1200.

Dry wheels and give them a good clean check the primer for imperfections.

mask out the tyres.

give the wheels a preclean with panel wipe then wipe with a tak rag if you have one.

give the wheels a few coats of paint. put it on dry and build the coats gradually til you got the full colour.

if you have lots of imperfections in the paint, give it a wetflat with some flatting paper, then apply a bit more paint.

let the wheels dry for 20 minutes or so under some heat.

give them another tak rag if you have one and apply a 3/4 wet coat of clear coat (laquer). This is a pretty wet coat of laquer but not enough to get a good finish, you do that with the second and possibly third coat.

the more laquer you put on, the more chance you have of it reacting/running etc. so let each coat dry for 10 minutes or so before applying another or it'll crack.

sit back, crack open a carlin and admire your handy work while it dries. any questions pm.

182 Cup
Right im giving this a bash on an old wheel first.
If you could post the names of the products you used such as laqeur etc i'd be more than happy!
My only grumble is I have 17 inch Osakas on my motor, toooooo many spokes!

clio 172 flame red
yer, the more spokes you have the harder it is to spray so be pacient. thats the best advice is not to rush. my only concern about my wheels is dont know if they withstand stone chips etc.fingures crossed.

Israeli 172 ph1
Great guides they have there! but its a guide for only scarches how did you paint all the wheel following it?

by the way another thing is, can you buy a coded color in a can? or how you guys doing it. because i'm not from the UK so i need to figure it out how to get all the stuff down here.

Last edited:
  RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Spot on with the instructions, however yopu really shouldnt use filler in your wheels. Shouldnt imagine they will last very long

I used metal epoxy resin.. kind of like a clay gotta warm it up and goes solid... been on there for months now and its fine. Its the actual stuff they reccomend