ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Driving lessons on uk roads at 16?

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
I was told the other day that when my cousins daughter recived her provisional driving license, it was marked as being valid from before her 17th birthday (obviously she is still 16).

Once her driving instructor knew this he took her out in the car saying it was legal.

ive googled it but cannot find a definitive answer, has anyone else done this?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I saw a driving school car the other day with 'Start learning at 16' on the back, maybe it's something new and you just can't take your test until you're 17. I know you can get a provisional at 16.

107 Track Car & C4
I did a learning thing at Thruxton for my 16th birthday, but never heard of this on the open road?!?

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
There was a company around Stockport which allowed drivers of 15 and above to drive on the roads. Not sure of the company name as it was about 8-10 years ago now.

Lotus Elise
You can pass your test at 16 on the Isle of Man. It's awesome, although you do have to display an 'R' plate for the first 12 months of having a full licence

If your on the highway rate for mobility you can drive at age 16. For anyone else it's 17, you may apply for your provisional early but you can't take your theory test or drive on public roads until the date of your 17th birthday. Just turned 17 and was trying everything I could to drive earlier. I couldn't.

From the gov uk website

If you’re getting the higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) you can apply for a provisional licence and take your test when you’re 16.

Otherwise you’ll have to wait until you’re 17.

Pretty much what I said up there

Well other than the mobility reasons, I just thought it was valid due to the fact you can go on mopeds and stuff but other than that, 17 to drive cars on the roads.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
You can ride mopeds at 16, which is why all the rich kids ride a moped for a year before getting a car for their 17th. IIRC they transfer the 1 year NCB earned as a result too.

FF Clio 182
You can ride mopeds at 16, which is why all the rich kids ride a moped for a year before getting a car for their 17th. IIRC they transfer the 1 year NCB earned as a result too.

I thought now a days insurance companies don't accept no claims from mopeds and stuff ?

An orange one
You can also drive tractors on the road at 16, after passing a brief test

​Mental that you can drive up to 24tonnes at 50km/h before you've even driven a car IMO