ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine bay clean - what to cover

Renault Clio MK2 1.2
So I want to give my engine bay a clean, but am a bit apprehensive about water getting in and messing things up.

What do I need to cover with plastic bags?
I know that the alternator could do with covering, as can the fuse box....what about the battery? Or plugs?

Not going to use a pressure washer, but was planning to cover it all in APC then agitate and rinse off with the hose.

Any ideas/tips are more than welcome....some threads have said engine on, others say engine off and cool...ideas?

Cheers!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Do you have a 1*2?
The holes that the spark-plugs go down are perfect catchment traps for water. Even the heat from the engine doesn't evaporate all of the water - leaving the thread on the plugs themselves to occasionally corrode quite badly.
One area I'd definitely cover - also, unbolt your undertray to aid the drainage while you do this :)

D.

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
I'd cover the battery, definitely spark plug holes with gaffa tape or something, fuse box (known weak point on Clios isn't it?), alternator and starter motor. Cover them with cling film, then foil on top as its easier to remember what's covered and aids in covering everything. I cleaned my bay using APC and then just a damp cloth and a dry towel, so didn't cover anything and then dressed the bay. Saved using the hose but depends how filthy the bay is I suppose! Some people just snow foam the whole bay with nothing covered... so I assume you can't do too much damage if you're careful.

Renault Clio MK2 1.2
I got a little 1.2l so there's not much there to get dirty really ;) but seeing as it's never been done (known for a fact....my grandma isn't that into cleaning her cars!) I thought it's about time that it got some loving too.

Ethan, would the gaffa not leave residue behind? Would leccy tape work the same? & good shout with the foil, never though about that

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You don't need to cover anything. As long as you don't direct water at the electrics or spark plugs you'll be fine.

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
As Daniel said, for a 1.2 I wouldn't bother either. The spark plugs are all covered by the air filter anyway if its standard. Only thing exposed could be the battery if the covers missing... I'd just do it and as Daniel rightly said don't aim at the electrics., maybe give them a wipe afterwards with a cloth and some APC or something.

As the guys above have said there is no real need to cover anything up.

As long as you do not saturate areas such at the alternator and fuse box you will be fine. Also once you've rinsed the engine bay clean, grab a cloth and mop up any excess water.
Be sure to post up some pictures on how you get on.

Joe

Renault Clio MK2 1.2
Cheers guys! It's currently chucking it down so my plans for this afternoon have gone to pot as I dont fancy putting up the gazebo, so it'll have to be tomorrow before it gets done.
Suggested dilution for the APC? 1:1? 1:2?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Cheers guys! It's currently chucking it down so my plans for this afternoon have gone to pot as I dont fancy putting up the gazebo, so it'll have to be tomorrow before it gets done.
Suggested dilution for the APC? 1:1? 1:2?

It depends entirely on the state of the bay.

1:1 for excessively oily, sticky, shitty s**t
1:2 for regularly dirty
1:3 for a spruce up

Renault Clio MK2 1.2
As requested.... before & after! Quickly managed to get the majority of it done, by no means completely done....never will be! But good enough for the quick half hour of light left.
2014-10-10 17.28.09.jpg
2014-10-10 18.15.09.jpg

Renault Clio MK2 1.2
Thats a very very good job you have done there mate :smile:
Cheers buddy! Hosed it down quickly on mist setting, then diluted APC to about 1:1.5 so pretty strong, but still didn't foam up as much as I'd've liked but got in there with a brush and a few rags to all the bits I could reach. Hosed it down quickly on the fan setting then started her up and dried the majority of it off with a rag (or 3) then took her for a quick spin up the road to try and shift the rest of the water that I couldn't reach. Was easy enough! Now the task of getting the grease and muck from my entire forearms....

Renault Clio MK2 1.2
Looks great! Job well done! Dressing it all would make it even better :smile:
what would you recommend? got quite a limited inventory at the minute but with xmas only a couple of months away i hope it's going to grow! But until then, im stuck with some megs gold class shampoo & liquid wax, ag's bodywork shampoo and conditioner, super resin polish & extra gloss protection, some rain x and a can of plastic blackener :( envious of my dad's full AG collection!

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Auto finesse revive is good on black trims :) plastic blackener on the bay would be good, you may have done it already my work pc screen is naff!

Looking....
As for dressings, Auto Finesse Dressle or Autosmart Finish. Both I have just sprayed on and left to dry and had great results.

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
What cleaning tools and products are recommended ?
Do people use some form of brush to clean the areas ?

I'm looking to buy some basic cleaning product for mine

Renault Clio MK2 1.2
What cleaning tools and products are recommended ?
Do people use some form of brush to clean the areas ?

I'm looking to buy some basic cleaning product for mine
used an old wheel brush i had laying around, a tonne of jiffy cloths and whatever all purpose cleaner sainsburys had that i could lay my hands on quickest...it wasnt the cheapest value s**t, but wasnt the most expensive either, so i diluted it about 1:2 in a spray bottle then sprayed the whole of the engine with it.....old sponge used to get the larger areas like the tops of plastics and thats about it!

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Yep, demon clean APC and rapid dirt shifter, a couple of paint brushes of different sizes, and some microfibre cloths is all I used. Then some trim blackener for the plastics.