ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine conversion news.

Quote: Originally posted by Ben H on 03 June 2004

I used to own what is now Riplashs 16V. It was a belter of an engine with headwork and fuelling mods, making a genuine 155+bhp. But the peak power was available in a short rev range and theres no doubt that the Willy I now have is more suited to my local B-roads.
Definately agree - when this valver gets going it flies - but the Williams is a different class. Once you get into the top rev band its pulling as hard/harder than my tuned valver, but its pulling almost as hard the second you pull away !! Always a nice accessible chunk of torque whatever your speed/gear.. makes what wouldve been half chance overtaking opportunities in the valver easy meat, T-junctions dont really slow you down..

Ignore the book specs.

It might look like a 13 brake, .2 of a second and 2mph difference, but out in the real world the gap between the two is much much greater.

Its a shame I dont still have mine or Id pop up and go out for a run with ya!

I miss mine so much Im going to skint myself, and have the worst xmas ever this year (probably), just so I dont have to live with the 1.8 for too long.

Dont get me wrong I love turbo cars... would definately have a place for selected machines in my dream garage.. just the torque of the Williams lump seems to match the 16v/Willy chassis perfectly - the car does exactly what you want it to, even if youre adjusting the throttle/steering in the middle of a corner.

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Ok so what mods would make a Willy lump EVEN better? Exhaust and chip or would I need to go further and get head and cams?

Still dunno why you sold your willy lump neil - you should have wacked it in your valver.

Willy lump with cams, pulleys, a chip, headwork and a bit chopped off the flywheel would FLY, then strip it a little and youd be killing CTRs no doubt with power more useable. The only drawback is that all of that will cost a lot, Willy conversion = 1500 + all of that work 2000 = 3500 ish, but it would be rapid

Oh and not forgetting the breathing mods, exhaust, decat, manifold and a sealed IK

300bhp MR2 Turbo

I could prob get a Williams lump fitted for peanuts, if my mates can get a cali turbo engine in a nova and a cali 2.5 v6 in a mk2 astra then they can do an F7 swap easily.

Which could increase the budget to mod it.

Potentially.

Cause I cant make my damn mind up now.

Willy lump really isnt much work at all.. all the looms match, everything is the same bar the lump and ECU so its a straight swap!

GTT on the other hand.. well.. its a hell of a lot more work than the F7R going in - think of all the stuff you have to change, all the niggles you have to solve..

If ya mates can really help out fitting the 2.0, you could be spending the money you save on cams, and a remap.. just look at clean16vs car for evidence of how much power you might expect from that..

300bhp MR2 Turbo

If I go GTT Ill go to Torsion Tuning Ive already spoken to them and the price is reasonable and they are very helpfull.

If I go Williams then Ill get mates to help me out, dont see the point paying a good few hundred quid for a simple swap.

I think Infinicar may have a couple of willy engines in but the cars look BATTERED, possibly not a good thing, could have caused internal damage.

Paul (Infinicar) wouldnt sell a shady engine to you.. its not worth his reputation really.. think how easy it would be for you to smear his company name here, and on RSC, if you werent happy with what you got.

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Id never suggest that hed pull a fast one, bought things from him before and his service is second to none.

Just if the cars smashed up and the engine wont start then how would he or any one know until I have it fitted.

williams 2 turbo

go turbo, ive been in willimas and driven mine, theres in my view, there is no contest. over 90 odd a williams will pull on you as the gtt runs out of gearing, but its so funny looking at peed off williams owners trying to figure out why they got stuffed, once again my views based on personal experience.

Quote: Originally posted by Matt16v on 04 June 2004

Just if the cars smashed up and the engine wont start then how would he or any one know until I have it fitted.
He always sells his engines serviced, checked, tested, new cambelt etc

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Been offered something else for reasonable money.

You lot wont like it but its 260bhp rwd and well cheap!!

Sahpire Cossie for £2,500, drove it a few months back and loved it.