ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine conversion

Hi guys. I'm collecting a 182 with a broken engine at the weekend.

I'm looking into replacing the engine with something more powerful (probably turbo'd)

Conversion needs to cost about £1500 at most but ill be doing all the work myself.

I havnt done anything like this automotive wise but I am a maintenance tech and repair machinery for a living so I'm handy with mechanics and welding fabrication etc.

I've seen andyrg's build thread of
A 1.8 20vt and that's interesting

Is there any other engines I could
Consider or would I be better off building a turbo'd f4r (low boost) setup

Thanks

Why would you want the hassle of a completly different engine when the f4r is so easy to turbo and probably be a better/easier to find than a decent 20vt anyway??

Dont get me wrong the 20vt is a damn good engine but good luck finding one for decent money thats not been hammered already!

clio sport ph 1
I got the 2 a clio sport and my leon 1.8 20vt;).
I prefer the rev happy clio but that's just personal taste.

The 1.8 20vt has alot more options for tuning than a F4R.

Clio 172 phase 1
1500 wouldn't cover ecu and mapping letalone the fabrication costs of oil returns and manifolds and pipe work trust did this on a saxo as I thought yeh I can get that get a 5 th injector and all that nearly 2k later and it worked for about 30miles untill it over
booseted and blew the lot to s**t IMO ud be better off buying a faster car to start with

1500 wouldn't cover ecu and mapping letalone the fabrication costs of oil returns and manifolds and pipe work trust did this on a saxo as I thought yeh I can get that get a 5 th injector and all that nearly 2k later and it worked for about 30miles untill it over
booseted and blew the lot to s**t IMO ud be better off buying a faster car to start with

You see you havnt read the post. I can make manifolds, pipe work and oil lines at work. If you read andy rg's thread he mentioned he built the lot for approx £1000

A friend of mine has built a garret turbo saxo (standard jp4 ) for around £1500 and that's including ecu and mapping and its been reliable at 210bhp

There's a lot of money to be saved building yourself

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Typical haha!

Theres a few issues with the megane gearbix fitting into the clio.

Wayne - W33 BRL has a thread on here for his build. Have a read through it.

Clio 172 phase 1
Then you've sorta answered your own question if you can make it all cheap as the answer you're looking for is no don't do a conversion as you'll spend money on an engine and all just do the f4r it'll be more fun and the engine is easily changeable should it go pop

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Then you've sorta answered your own question if you can make it all cheap as the answer you're looking for is no don't do a conversion as you'll spend money on an engine and all just do the f4r it'll be more fun and the engine is easily changeable should it go pop

Thats a full stop. It helps people read your sentences.

Clio 172 phase 1
Don't do punctuation don't care enough about what I write to use it... Back on topic my opinion still stands if you can do all the work to the f4r your self you may aswell it'll be more fun and easier in the long run but meh couldn't care either way it's ur car and I cant see it from my house so don't care

Can the megane 225 exhaust manifold and turbo be used on a f4r head? Aswell as inlet manifold? And down pipe?

172 cup, Impreza P1
Can the megane 225 exhaust manifold and turbo be used on a f4r head? Aswell as inlet manifold? And down pipe?

Not with the standard inet and breather setup.

Lots of turbo build threads but I have done most of the fabricating on mine like manifolds, downpipes ect and I'm still at least 2.5x the budget you are talking about having for a high boost f4r.

Not with the standard inet and breather setup.

Lots of turbo build threads but I have done most of the fabricating on mine like manifolds, downpipes ect and I'm still at least 2.5x the budget you are talking about having for a high boost f4r.

I'd be using the megane inlet if possible. I'm not looking at high boost.

I was thinking using an engine that's already boosted and running pretty much standard with possibly a map.

Z20let possibly, fabricate the mounts etc then tackle the wiring but run a standard engine and turbo setup. Benefit being the turbo at the front so no tight fit at the back

172 cup, Impreza P1
I'd be using the megane inlet if possible. I'm not looking at high boost.

I was thinking using an engine that's already boosted and running pretty much standard with possibly a map.

Z20let possibly, fabricate the mounts etc then tackle the wiring but run a standard engine and turbo setup. Benefit being the turbo at the front so no tight fit at the back

Megane 225 inlet wont fit a 1*2 head so that's a no go.

There are possibly loads of other engines that may fit your car but making new custom mounts, positioning everything correctly, new driveshafts, ensuring everything fits in the bay, not hitting the bulkhead, etc, it takes a brave man with excellent skills and LOTS of time on his hands. If you want to go standard engine that is boosted already then I would go for the F4Rt engine from the megane 225 or 260 (Not really in your budget though) and take it from there.

To be honest it dosnt have to be 1500 but I don't want to be spending thousands. This dosnt have to be a fast moving project.

I might put a standard f4r in it and start collecting bits for a low pressure turbo conversion

PH1 loads of boost!
If you know what you're doing and dont mind doing it slowly then IMO go for a high boost F4r. Do as you say and collect all the bits over time and then do the conversion in one go. That's of course if you dont mind spending more than £1500. Or low boost if you wanna keep the costs down.

Thats only if you know what youre doing though. I tend to find that people who have to ask what is available and what to do tend to not be able to do it themselves and with summit like a turbo conversion you need a good knowledge to be able to look after it. Or deep pockets.

HTH.

Clio 172 182 197 200
The reason I did the 20vt was due to gearbox.

Chris at efi now does a conversation package to fox the vw box to the clio.

Lot of work involved in fitting the 20vt.

Andyrg @ Dtm