ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine transplants (Clio 16v)

Clio 172/Clio 16v hybrid
I recently purchased a clio 16v and although its quite nippy and a real great car round the bends it just doesnt quite have enough go!

What are the pros, cons and difficulties with the fitting of the common williams/5GTT/volvo 1.7T conversions?

Also, is it possible to fit 172/182 engines into valvers? Pors, cons etc

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Have heard of all the above conversions, and Flans14(?) has the VAG 5cylinder turbo lump in his running 280bhp...

Is expensive to start turboing the standard lump :( and (personally) I'd be worrying about it going bang constantly, though I'm sure it is reliable when looked after. My ERST has put me off playing with turbos... lol (though I miss the power! :dapprove:)

IMO turbo is the only way to go though for big power :evil:

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
blatant plug....check for sale section for my williams engine...the difference is very noticeable between the 1.8 & 2.0

S2000
Best bet would be to put an F7R (williams) lump in. It's a straight swap and you would only need the bottom end of an F7R, starter motor, loom and a few other bit and pieces so you can re-use the head, gearbox, mounts, driveshafts etc. If you use a megane 2.0 bottom end (also F7R) you would need to put your valver flywheel on there. The williams engine can be easily tuned to get ~ 170bhp with more availiable with the like of TB's. Wouldn't bother with a 172/182 conversion as you can get the same power out of an F7R with a lot less hassle. GTT I wouldn't recommend as it's a bit of a step back IMO, don't really know much about the 1.7 turbo conversions.

Clio 172/Clio 16v hybrid
White16valver said:
My ERST has put me off playing with turbos... lol (though I miss the power! :dapprove:)

Yeah im re-building an ERST for my track/show/weekend toy, but bought the valver for a daily drive.

Quite fancied making mine into a hybrid, but with the valver only having slightly less power than a willy i was concerned that the effort of the conversion would outweigh the gains??

S2000
FusionRS said:
Yeah im re-building an ERST for my track/show/weekend toy, but bought the valver for a daily drive.

Quite fancied making mine into a hybrid, but with the valver only having slightly less power than a willy i was concerned that the effort of the conversion would outweigh the gains??

Although there is only about 15bhp in it the main difference is that more power is availiable throughout the rev range. I've never driven a 2.0, or a 1.8 really for that matter, but anyone who has says there is a big difference in it. 0-60 times show them to be fairly close but the williams has to change into 3rd to get to 60 which means it's time is a bit of an unfair reflection.

RS's are great, I really miss the power, but the valver is a much better drive as you can use more of the power more of the time :)

re: the williams conversion, I drove my brothers williams and, compared to my valver, it had loads more midrange torque and just pulled like a train from about 3k rpm. The valver sometimes drives me nuts as you have to rev the b****cks off it to get anywhere, the power doesn't come in 'til about 4.5k rpm.

I think it would be worth doing if you were handy with the spanners and weren't paying like £500-£1k on labour alone, but I'd want a bit more power I think and I'd be paying someone to do it so I'd have to go silly and get a turbo lump in there and be done with I reckon, rather than spending that much on labour for not that much gain.

Clio 172/Clio 16v hybrid
White16valver said:
The valver sometimes drives me nuts as you have to rev the b****cks off it to get anywhere, the power doesn't come in 'til about 4.5k rpm.

Thats the bit that gets me i think. The cars the most fun ive had handling wise, and when it DOES get to about 4.5k goes quite well, but till then it just feels a little flat i think.

Im no mechanic but im reasonably handy with the spanners and have got a workshop i share with my mate so i wouldnt be paying anyone anything to do an engine conversion. DIY is the way forward as far as possible (obviosly turbo conversions etc are a bit beyond what id like to have a go at lol)!!

Another route that intrests me is bike carbs. I live in York and Bogg Brothers is only half an hour away from me and im told that there one of the best when it comes to bike carbs and getting them set up. My main concern with this idea is wether there are issues with space in 16v, as the engine is pretty tightly squeezed in there in the first place!

Again, thanks for all the advice!!

Clio 172/Clio 16v hybrid
BTTT, hopefully for some more great info! From the lurking ive done on here over the last month or so, i know that some of the ppl on here really know there stuff so input is much appreciated :):)

Twingo 133
You say that you have just gotten the 16v, has it been serviced recently? the usual service items can make it quite abit quicker if it hasnt been done before.
Might be worth doing that first.
If not i would say the williams lump as its the simplist of the conversions on offer, and you can feel the torque difference.

SAAB 9-5 2.3 TURBO SE EST
Stick a Hayabusa 1300 bike engine in it;) 180bhp stock, sequential gearshift, 11,000rpm each gear, and they only weigh around 70Kg! Best bit is they cost ~ £3 for a low mileage one! Stick one of those beauties in, it'll hit 60 in less than 5 secs :approve:

getting a bike engine to drive the wheels is a nightmare..
i went from a valver to a hybrid, although before my hybrid engine went in a i had a bit of work done to it (cams/headwork/lightening/balencing) there is a massive diffrence..

Rhino16v from here has a 165bhp valver thats just got cams and exhaust system... AP developments offer a thottle bodie kit for the F7R/F7P for just over 2500 all in, this should see you at the 180bhp mark and would make the car an absolute monster.

the renault 5 engine is fragile but very tunable
the volvo engine doesnt make very good power
the 172 engine will go in but would require quite a bit of work

yes, but look at the saxo - not distinctly dissimilar from the clio? I didn't say it would be cheap, but the possibilities are endless..... Hayabusa turbo anyone? Up to 400bhp? yum yum

Renault Clio 1.8 16v
how much effort is it to drop a GTT in a 16V? Almost bought a conversion but i fancy doing the change myself.. are we talking same engine mounts? ive not actually stared at a GT lump so i cant picture the swap.. any info appreciated.

Cheers guys!