ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

EVO Mag June 2010 172 cup vs 200 cup

182 Trophy
^^^ someone with some sense, don't get me wrong i love 1*2's but the respect i have for 197's and 200's is unreal, just because i can't afford one i'm not going to be bitter and slate them when in reality everyone knows how good they are.

172 Cup
I enjoyed the read and the main pic of the 172 Cup tripod ;)

I can't find the video of it though on the site, I'm sure it says the video would be there?

Turbo LY R27
How did this thread get from the ultimate Clio test to, inflation and intrest rates lol! Some old sh1t arguments on this site....who cares?!!!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
how do you find it amazing its quicker, FYI the clio 200 is lighter than the 197 so thats youre first point out the window, secondly its got more midrage which will have helped pulling it out of the slower corners so why do you believe that its all a 'fix'

i own a 172 cup and have driven and been in a few 197's and i can say that they are a muchmuchmuchmuch better car to drive, they feel more stable and the steering is more direct, the handling just pisses all over 1*2's too theyre uncomparable.
I don't get why other owners of 1*2's insist on finding any little excuse to say that their car is better, just because you don't own a 197/200 doesn't mean you have to tell yourself that theyre a lot worse than the car you own.
Go drive one then come back with you're honest oppinion.

I had a 197 for a good 18 months. Only sold it to bump up my savings for house purchase. I have also owned a 172 Cup, 182 and now a 172 Cup again. Yes, the 197 is a better car day to day, no question. I massively miss the better build, better short throw gearbox, Brembos, better seating position, and its (imo) awesome on looks!

However, the steering isn't more direct. Tbh, compared to a MK2, its pretty dead feeling. Also, the 197 has some pretty bad flatspots, one very pronounced at 2.5k. Yes you could get a remap, but lots of 197's lose it :eek: You also certainly lose the sheer 'grunt' feeling i get from my 172 Cup. I'd also question the pisses all over it in the handling, the MK2's are more playful imo, which is no bad thing!

Gaz

197 FF Glacier White
That does not make sense :dead:

I think you'll find that money is worth less now, due to something called inflation.... So, when launched, if they both could be bought for £14k (which is not so far off), then the 200 Cup is actually the cheaper car in real terms.

Simple really :rasp:

172 Cup, 14k! I have the original bill of sale for my 172 Cup, £11230 otr.

172 ph1
I don't know how they compare on other tracks, but at the 'Ring the 197/200 is much more stable than the 172/182, and as a result are massively faster through the faster corners, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's what Evo found

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I had a 197 for a good 18 months. Only sold it to bump up my savings for house purchase. I have also owned a 172 Cup, 182 and now a 172 Cup again. Yes, the 197 is a better car day to day, no question. I massively miss the better build, better short throw gearbox, Brembos, better seating position, and its (imo) awesome on looks!

However, the steering isn't more direct. Tbh, compared to a MK2, its pretty dead feeling. Also, the 197 has some pretty bad flatspots, one very pronounced at 2.5k. Yes you could get a remap, but lots of 197's lose it :eek: You also certainly lose the sheer 'grunt' feeling i get from my 172 Cup. I'd also question the pisses all over it in the handling, the MK2's are more playful imo, which is no bad thing!

Gaz
I agree with most of that.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I don't know how they compare on other tracks, but at the 'Ring the 197/200 is much more stable than the 172/182, and as a result are massively faster through the faster corners, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's what Evo found
Horses for courses. Tighter track, the mk2's would be more fun.

Interesting reading this, as someone who currently owns both. (I was googling for the Evo articles when this came up).