ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

evo8 fq330 v Clio V6 255

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Any help needed. I have a 53 plate Evo8 FQ330 that is the best car I have ever had after a string of Evos, Subaru P1s and WRXs. But its very expensive and I have the option to straight swop to a 53 plate Clio V6 255.

I have always admired the V6 but the consensus on the jap car forums is, as you would expect, the V6 is not an Evo. Maybe in looks and sound, but not on performance and handling.

So lets try the same question were there might not so much bias!

Basically I do 500 miles a week, mainly motorway. I need something totally reliable. and reasonable to maintain service and fuel wise. Don't care about bumps and rattles, but I don't need something that falls apart.
NB the evos need servicing every 4500 miles, so every 2 months for me !!

Its all down to performance, handling and cost, over say a 6 month/12 month period.

Also the Evo is near impossibel to sell on. The value drops every day and should I expect similiar with the V6. Again I have heard horror stories.

Lastly right price to pay for a 53 255 with 22000 miles on the clock.

NB - the series 1 apparantly is a scary drive esp in the wet from what i hear, so the 255 would be the only one I would be interested in.

cock mobile.
There's not a massive amount of V6 255 owners on here mate.

There is another forum specific for them which might help you decide as well.

I haven't driven either myself, out of my price range :( But I'm sure there will be plenty of people along soon to help.

If I had an Evo, it would be very difficult to give up, even for the V6.

Good luck!

Ford Fiesta
its one of the only things that puts me off the EVO, thats the servicing intervals. At least the V6 is every 12k.
I've never owned a V6, but from what i've read im sure you will find it cheaper to live with in every respect.
I also don't think the V6 would lose much value, especially as they have now stopped making them.

Liam

Clio v6
Doing my bit to support the Renaultsport brand and encourage potential new Cliosport members, I'm certain the Clio V6 can fullfil all your needs.

E91 M Sport
Didn't know there was a dedicated V6 forum?

I had a mk1, not a million times different from the mk2. I think on a day-to-day basis it would cope with the mileage (especially the mk2 which has a more solid interior). Its unlikely to feel as quick as even a slow Evo, let alone a 330. I'd own another one for the looks alone, and the character - that's their forte....

...Not before I've owned an Evo 8 though ;)

That answer your question? ;)

p.s. yes the mk1 is apparently more 'interesting' for on-the-limit handling (never spun mine though) but a mk2 will still spit you off the road without warning - especially if you're used to all your AYC, etc.

Your even thinking about swaping a 330 for a 255 V6, are you crazy! V6 would'nt pull the skin off a rice pudding...

Renault ChaVio
Neil82cup said:
Your even thinking about swaping a 330 for a 255 V6, are you crazy! V6 would'nt pull the skin off a rice pudding...

Ahhh, a nice informed opinion probably from some expert who studies the back pages of Autocar religiously looking at which cars have the fastest 0–60 times.

You have hit the nail on the head; the V6 Clio is just not fast enough to be a decent performance car – that's what that crowd of people around it when I came out of Sainsbury's earlier today must have been talking about?

Fool.

Well the Lancer Evolution FQ330 has 75bhp more than a clio, so it is FQ, being 1.3 seconds faster to 60mph and 3.3 to 100mph with about same top speed.
I doubt I would swap a 330bhp car for a 255bhp one though either?
although I wouldn't personally have an Evo in the first place, but thats just my thing..... :)

Simon

mk2 clio 172
ant_v6 said:
Ahhh, a nice informed opinion probably from some expert who studies the back pages of Autocar religiously looking at which cars have the fastest 0–60 times.

You have hit the nail on the head; the V6 Clio is just not fast enough to be a decent performance car – that's what that crowd of people around it when I came out of Sainsbury's earlier today must have been talking about?

Fool.

But regardless of how good they look its just not as good as an evo in any respect especially an FQ330.

MKIII 138
^^^

shameful from all the cliosport members on here to say the EVO whips the V6 and not supporting the RenaultSport community.

a car isnt just about performance, there are thousands of cars from the very slowest 998cc polo to the fastest 2.0 Supercharged 638bhp per tonne Ariel Atom or 1150 bhp bugatti veyron.

you could have an old Evo s**t wheels, poor paint, crap cheap takamishi radio control car looks, naff interior for dummies but incredible performance.

disapoints me that people on here feel this way, its as if that if they could afford anything more than a 182/172 like an evo they would have one ????? some people are thinkin like "yea duh stupid" but the clio isnt an image, isnt about pulling birds, isnt a fast car in the grand scheme of things but is characterful, funky and point to point can carry high speed and really involve you.
jaz created this forum for clio enthusiasts its a clio not a triumph or an old aston but the enthusiasts feel the same way about their clio`s
if i could afford a 500bhp saloon (i.e a fat merc) i wouldnt, id still own the cup as i like the feel of driving not the feeling of accelaration alone.

the V6 looks awesome, is unique, shows your individuality, the midmounted v6 24v sounds better than the dull Vauxhaul Nova sound of the Evo`s four pot possibly one of the most unexceptional sounds ever, not like a screaming honda or a barking scooby burble
there are loads of evo`s driving about near me two red 8`s a purple 7, silver 8 etc.. there are loads and they look unexceptional.
maybe awesome cars but there hardly any different in running costs to a supercar, plain silly and you dont get a supercar sound, looks or image whats the point ?? at least with an impreza you get the noise and the crazy colours and wheels.

performance isnt everything

Last edited:
  172 /megane cab
e v o what you smoking.. clio v6 evo every time if i had the 330 would never even think about the v6 clio

V6 for me I prefere there looks character and individualtity.
The Evvo's the better car but thats no reason to buy it (or sell it in this case).

Clio v6
Does the Evo have a unique car number? There must me a few rare ones. So a rare one plus room to fit your golf clubs in would be an ideal solution.

For me the fact that there are only 17 mars red V6 255's in the Uk (not counting mine) and its the worlds ONLY RWD mid-engined hatch back (not counting the very rare 5 Turbo 2) is enough for me ;)
If more power is all anyone needs there are always upgrades available ;)

I have never personally had a family 4 door saloon, and I wouldn't want to start now.. ;)
no matter how fast........ lol

however I reckon someone might miss the 1.3s faster to 60 and 3.3s faster to 100mph the FQ330 offers?

Simon

Last edited:
In the words of EVO Mag

"It delivers enjoyment on every level, including a temporal one where you have to learn how to get the best from it over time. You could have a very grown-up relationship with the Clio V6. It feels as special and charismatic as any car we can think of under £40K. The Clio V6 has come good, and how."

Simon

Last edited:

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
ant_v6 said:

Fool.

Sorry mate your on drugs.

The EVO destroys the V6 in every department. Even the 172/182 boys on the trackday look at you in the rear view.

Yes 0-60 is not the be all and end all but your point that your trying to press is :-

Ya is look cool and the chicks dig it...

Personally the EVO gets more respect from the crowds than a V6 (all show no go).

The guy wants peformance and it a big part in his decision. Frankley if he does swop which is insane (as residuals on the V6 are worse than the EVO) i bet he would crash it on the first day or feel like he has permanently got the hand break on.

Yes get an M3 (i fancy one ) but you wont get a straight swop for his EVO for a good M3.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
meggerman said:
^^^

shameful from all the cliosport members on here to say the EVO whips the V6 and not supporting the RenaultSport community.

a car isnt just about performance, there are thousands of cars from the very slowest 998cc polo to the fastest 2.0 Supercharged 638bhp per tonne Ariel Atom or 1150 bhp bugatti veyron.

you could have an old Evo sh*t wheels, poor paint, crap cheap takamishi radio control car looks, naff interior for dummies but incredible performance.

disapoints me that people on here feel this way, its as if that if they could afford anything more than a 182/172 like an evo they would have one ????? some people are thinkin like "yea duh stupid" but the clio isnt an image, isnt about pulling birds, isnt a fast car in the grand scheme of things but is characterful, funky and point to point can carry high speed and really involve you.
jaz created this forum for clio enthusiasts its a clio not a triumph or an old aston but the enthusiasts feel the same way about their clio`s
if i could afford a 500bhp saloon (i.e a fat merc) i wouldnt, id still own the cup as i like the feel of driving not the feeling of accelaration alone.

the V6 looks awesome, is unique, shows your individuality, the midmounted v6 24v sounds better than the dull Vauxhaul Nova sound of the Evo`s four pot possibly one of the most unexceptional sounds ever, not like a screaming honda or a barking scooby burble
there are loads of evo`s driving about near me two red 8`s a purple 7, silver 8 etc.. there are loads and they look unexceptional.
maybe awesome cars but there hardly any different in running costs to a supercar, plain silly and you dont get a supercar sound, looks or image whats the point ?? at least with an impreza you get the noise and the crazy colours and wheels.

performance isnt everything

Rubbish

Frankly you sound like one of those people you describe, one that wont ever get an EVO in there life. Own one and the costs acociated will disappear and you point of view will change. Scooby owner convert to EVO, you dont see it the other way round. You mention sound, sorry but a popping and banging EVO sound the nuts....

Yes this is from someone who has own EVO's for many years. I have had a cup as an interim to the EVO whilst i got paid out on the last one being stolen. Still got it after 2 years and love it.

Why cause its great fun and get all the thrills i want out of a car. If i wanted i could get a piece out the house and get a Ferrari but it all about priorities......

The V6 will never be one of them..

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
SimonV6 said:
For me the fact that there are only 17 mars red V6 255's in the Uk (not counting mine) and its the worlds ONLY RWD mid-engined hatch back (not counting the very rare 5 Turbo 2) is enough for me ;)
If more power is all anyone needs there are always upgrades available ;)

I have never personally had a family 4 door saloon, and I wouldn't want to start now.. ;)
no matter how fast........ lol

however I reckon someone might miss the 1.3s faster to 60 and 3.3s faster to 100mph the FQ330 offers?

Simon

If you want unique buy a Vel Satis.....

Yaris Hybrid
Just drove an Impreza P1 that my mate px'd his V6 for and frankly the V6 is a pedal car in comparison!

So yeah Evo all the way.

He used to go on about rarity and attention in the V6 but tonight he was sl*gging it right off!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
mid mount engine hatch's.... hnmmmm metro 6r4... there are road legal ones... pug t16... again road legal...

the renault alpine is a hatch back... oh and the a610

slightly more than just the mighty turbo 1/2 and the 1.2 wide arch clio with a under performing engine lol...

take a v6 spend 100k on it if u want... there is a few 3 door evo's that would whoop it, track, sprint, road... OWNED!

Bit old the P1's are now though......would have been the only Jap AWD I'd have maybe bought because they are only 2 door, yes?
Now if Mitsi or Scoobie make a hatch back AWD turbo car next I may well buy one of those?
I was looking forward to the rumors of the focus AWD 350bhp car, but that never came to anything.

I have never liked 4 door saloon cars, just a thing with me mate. ;)

Simon

MaLicE said:
mid mount engine hatch's.... hnmmmm metro 6r4... there are road legal ones... pug t16... again road legal...

slightly more than just the mighty turbo 1/2 and the 1.2 wide arch clio with a under performing engine lol...

take a v6 spend 100k on it if u want... there is a few 3 door evo's that would whoop it, track, sprint, road... OWNED!

that made zero sense lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLicE

BenR said:
that made zero sense lol

maybe he's pi**ed.....lol
but of course an FQ330 is faster it has 75bhp more.....doh....

Yaris Hybrid
SimonV6 said:
Bit old the P1's are now though......would have been the only Jap AWD I'd have maybe bought because they are only 2 door, yes?
Now if Mitsi or Scoobie make a hatch back AWD turbo car next I may well buy one of those?
I was looking forward to the rumors of the focus AWD 350bhp car, but that never came to anything.

I have never liked 4 door saloon cars, just a thing with me mate. ;)

Simon

Yeah two doors and I haven't got the words to describe how good it looks. Its just fantastic.

MKIII 138
i guess v6`s and evo`s are just cars and do the same thing its down to personal preference the point (maybe a bit ott oops lol) i was trying to make is that when buying a car ultimate performance isnt everything.
it still does 0-60 in 5.8 with a bit of fettling near 5 comes with 255 to start with surley fast enough just because it isnt THE fastest thing in the world doesnt mean its shite does it.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
meggerman said:
i guess v6`s and evo`s are just cars and do the same thing its down to personal preference the point (maybe a bit ott oops lol) i was trying to make is that when buying a car ultimate performance isnt everything.
it still does 0-60 in 5.8 with a bit of fettling near 5 comes with 255 to start with surley fast enough just because it isnt THE fastest thing in the world doesnt mean its sh*te does it.

V6's and EVO's are not the same things at all and your right its not just about the being the fastest thing.

EVO - 4 doors boot and is completely practical, wipes the floor with most (most def the V6) in a striaght line and everything round corners. TG - EVOMR400 vs the Lambo LOL

V6 - 2 doors , no boot, totally impractical, and not really that fast, dangerous handling in the wrong hands. Regards to 5 sec 0-60 you would have to spend a fair few quid.....! (EVO £500 remap and an extra 50 bhp)

Residuals are prob worst for the V6.

Its a no contest..