ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exalto 2 Tyres on 182 with Cup Suspension

dk

911 GTS Cab

yeah, spoke to Jeremy at the motorshow and he said they definitely are different but he was waiting for a response from Michelin as to how you could tell the difference.

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio182 on 14 June 2004

No they dont. the tyres are a different serial number.

i will go get it when i can be assed
I would be interested to know the difference.

dk

911 GTS Cab

i prefer them to f1s, they are very good, cant find a single fault (apart from price)

Same thread has been on the Renault sport website with Jeremyy from Renault sticking by the book and saying the tyres are different. seems to be ticking someone off!

"The Exalto tyres on the Cup suspension have a stiffer sidewall"

"There are 2 types of Exalto 2 tyres fitted to the 182. With the Cup suspension the tyre has a stiffer sidewall"

Jeremys comments, while being helpful, dont really do much more than having a quick look at the brochure. Folks are saying that no one seems to know how to order the different types of tyres. Michalin dont, Renault dealers dont. Tyre supply companies dont. Which poses the question...When I get a puncture on my cup suspion 182 How the hell will I be able to order a tyre that is correct?

Can you check on what the actual details of the tyres are Jeremey, rather than just cutting and pasting from Renault Sales Material? Or didnt they teach you that at PR School?

Clio 197

Hi guys...
Went to a tyre shop, enquiring about replacement tyres (to plan ahead)... and Exalto 2 tyres were on the screen at 175 a pot! Bloke said its rediculous, and that hed do em for 125.

Anyways... they were on the screen as Exalto 2s... which means that they must exist?

Hi Omar,

you might have missed the point here. It isnt in question whether the Pilot Exalto 2 tyres exist or not. It is more if, as Renault say in their sales blurb, that with the cup option you get Pilot Exalto 2s with a stiffer sidewall and with the non cup cars you egt standard Pilot Exalto 2s.

People only seem to be able to find 1 type of pilot exalto 2 tyres. No stiffer sidewall in sight.

Then again, I might have missed th point.

If you go to the Michelin website it lists two diffrent 205 Exalto

205/45 R 16 83V

or

205/45 ZR 16 83W

Whats ones on the Clio 182 and whats on the cup version?

Clio 197

Quote: Originally posted by hogboy on 18 June 2004

Hi Omar,

you might have missed the point here. It isnt in question whether the Pilot Exalto 2 tyres exist or not. It is more if, as Renault say in their sales blurb, that with the cup option you get Pilot Exalto 2s with a stiffer sidewall and with the non cup cars you egt standard Pilot Exalto 2s.

People only seem to be able to find 1 type of pilot exalto 2 tyres. No stiffer sidewall in sight.

Then again, I might have missed th point.

Clio 197

Whoops! I forgot to mention that they were identical to my standard 182 tyres... I initially thought Renault had make a generous mistake and put the "stiffer" tyres on my car, but guess not eh?

Quote: Originally posted by alan182 on 18 June 2004

If you go to the Michelin website it lists two diffrent 205 Exalto

205/45 R 16 83V

or

205/45 ZR 16 83W

Whats ones on the Clio 182 and whats on the cup version?

205/45 R 16 83V are fitted to the 182 with the cup pack and unsurprisingly 205/45 R 16 83V are fitted the 182 without the cup pack...they are not different.....

[Edited by CRS172 on 18 June 2004 at 10:00pm]

Quote: Originally posted by blaupunkt on 19 June 2004

so sounds like abit of a con then and maybe false advertising ? <SCRIPT language=javascript>
Well unless someone has some other evidence they are different..that seems to be the case.

dk

911 GTS Cab

one way to sort this out is to get two members to meet up, one with cup suspension and one without and compare the two tyres.

Leon TDI

I have Pilot 2s on my 172, which are about 6 months old.
Would i be right in thinking, when these were fitted, this would have been the only version on the Pilot 2 available?

Hopefully i will pick my 182 (with cup packs) up this week, which should have the Pilot 2s with the Stiffer side wall.

So, if i was to photograph the writting on my 172 Pilots and compare it wil the writting on my 182 Pilots, i should see a difference...right?

Lee

BMW M2C

Im picking mine up tomorrow night. If there is one anywhere at the dealership which doesnt have the Cup pack Ill go and have a look.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

Woof quote

Would i be right in thinking, when these were fitted, this would have been the only version on the Pilot 2 available?

What size tyres are you running on your car as the smallest pilot sport 2 tyre they produce is 225/45 17. Which i had on my EVO ????

Apologies if you mean exalto 2s but again i thought they had not been out 6 months..

[Edited by EVOgone on 21 June 2004 at 9:03am]

Leon TDI

Quote: Originally posted by EVOgone on 21 June 2004

Woof quote

What size tyres are you running on your car as the smallest pilot sport 2 tyre they produce is 225/45 17. Which i had on my EVO ????

Apologies if you mean exalto 2s but again i thought they had not been out 6 months..

[Edited by EVOgone on 21 June 2004 at 9:03am]

Ok, so im a muppet and dont have Pilots 2. I currently have Pilot Exalto 195/45/R16.

Ill get my coat.......

Quote: Originally posted by Lee M on 23 June 2004

Ive been looking into this a fair bit today and have pretty much come to the conclusion that weve been stitched up over these so called "stiffer side wall tyres".

See my posts here:

http://www.renaultsport.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=129http://www.renaultsport.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=129
Yep i would agree completely. They have had everyone over good and proper.

They need to admit it and offer people some compensation. Most people bought the cup pack with the understanding they would get different tyres.

Responce back from Michelin Techinical Dept is that they only make one tyer for the clio 182 and that is the Michelin Pilot Exalto’s 205/45R16 83V The 205/45ZR 16 is nopt for a 182 possible the mid engin v6.

Have also written to renault in Franch awaiting their responce

Lee

BMW M2C

Interesting, but that cant be correct as the V6 wears: 205/40 ZR18 Front and 245/40 ZR18 rears.

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by bill11 on 24 June 2004

may not be correct for the v6 but is correct for 182
Yup, that makes sense. Thanks for that Bill.

So Michelin admit there is only one tyre for the 182 then! I wonder what Renault have to say.

Ford Fiesta

There are loads of posts about this, replied to this as it was the longest!

Spoke to Michelin Tech who took a couple of days to get back to me, in order he got me the correct answer.

From now on they are ensuring the only pilot exalto tyre acorss europe will be the higher spec stiffer one. Originally they did do 2 types and when they supplied them to renault they colour coded them red stiff, green non stiff this was at renaults request.

There has been a lot of confusion since hence they have decided to offer the stifferone only from now on. They do not colour code tyres, but some which were destined to renault may be on sale elsewhere so in this instance go for the red ones if you are wanting stiffer tyres.

hope this clears it up.

those with non cup suspension will have to start using stiffer tyres.

Any idea what the part number is for the Michelin Pilot Exaltos. Wanting to purchase through the local Renault dealership since my countrys Michelin company does not import these tyres.

And does it also mean we should we looking for a red dot when the tyres arrive?