ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

experimenting with SRP

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I know a lot of you will say don't bother and use a correcting polish, but I have it spare, want to use it up and not likely to have time for mutli stage correction.

I'm aiming to do a enhancement job on my sisters clio purely for practice reasons but only have it for a morning. I've seen someone on here get great results on a silver Type R with just SRP. I appreciate it has little to almost no abrasiveness but would anyone recommend single or mutliple passes. I'm using CG hexlogic pads so finishing / polishing / cutting pads?

Not a 320d
Just a polishing pad, single passes if time or money is on the cards, a white or green hex if you have them.

I wouldnt spend a long time doing it either, it doesnt require as much work as a proper polish would.

You know all itll do is fill swirls and perhaps cut away a bit or marring right?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Yeah not expecting any correction from it but would like to see if I can bring the gloss back as it's failry dull. TBH I'd be happy with good filling as it's fairly neglected and would need days for full correction that I can't do.

I've got black / white / green / orange / yellow hex pads to play with. Only used SRP by hand so more curious than anything

Not a 320d
Its certainly better by machine, but if I was in a rush or not getting paid a lot then I would only use it by hand. Seeing as its for a relative maybe try it by machine and see if you think theres any difference. It should give good results. very underrated product really, I dont use it anymore which is a shame because its pretty good.

Oh and dont forget you need to tape up the plastics.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Cheers for the input guys.

I'll have about 4 hours to do it but it's in a bit of a state to put it politely. I'm doing more for experience and my own trial and error rather than it requested by someone and having to please them with the results. I'll post up some 50/50's if I get a chance to do it this weekend. And yes I remember making the mistake of getting SRP on the plastics when I 1st started using it.

Gally I remember reading your thread and was very impressed by the filling abilities. I've so far only used the EZ creme by hand and although got I got a nice gloss didn't get that much coverage. Will try it by machine next time

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Indeed mate. It wasn't so much about the products but more about what can be acheieved with a simple filling/polishing product like SRP.

I seen a black Audi A4 on DW done by hand topped wih HD I think and honestly it looked immaculate in the pictures (obviously close up is a different story) but people should never forget that enthusiasts don't have time to spend 30 hours correcting their car.

Defined detailed detailed an FRP a year or so back, 3 hours on the bonnet alone! Thta's just not possible for the everyday working guy to do. Enhancements should never be frowned upon. Aslong as the owner of the car knows what they are getting then it's no harm done imo.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Lols. It's not "s**t" per se it has it's place in detailing imo. Dave KG is hardly going to recommend stuff that's s**t.

I think there are better products these days that maybe wouldn't stain trim or dust up like f**k but then again it was the orginal filler/polish and a very good one at that.

Not a 320d
Lols. It's not "s**t" per se it has it's place in detailing imo. Dave KG is hardly going to recommend stuff that's s**t.

I think there are better products these days that maybe wouldn't stain trim or dust up like f**k but then again it was the orginal filler/polish and a very good one at that.

Im beginning to think that harry potter faggot has brainwashed you. Has Collinites become one of your favorite waxes now?

As you said though, its not s**t. There are better, but if youre after something cheap and off the shelf then SRP is a good choice.

Bumder With A Buffer
I was taking the piss by saying its s**t.

I've always said its an underated product. But getting through to the sheep is hard ;)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Im beginning to think that harry potter faggot has brainwashed you. Has Collinites become one of your favorite waxes now?

As you said though, its not s**t. There are better, but if youre after something cheap and off the shelf then SRP is a good choice.

Yes, yes I have. 476 is still a fantastic wax, there's not another wax out there that will last aslong on an everday car imo. Doesn't mean it's the best wax out there. Iirc from speaking with Dave, Glasur is still his favourite all round wax.

I'll see him a week today actually.

I was taking the piss by saying its s**t.

I've always said its an underated product. But getting through to the sheep is hard ;)

Blow.

Me.

Princess.

Wink for added effect. ;)

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I'm only using it as I have it and don't want to throw it away. plus had heard it gives the mildest of cut when used with machine with reasonable reviews.

I've not really used glazes or filling products so wanted to get my head round them. As I say SRP now then EZ creme all by machine to get a base.

Can anyone remember the write up of SRP used on a silver type R, I can't find it now as that gave good a review

Bumder With A Buffer
I'm only using it as I have it and don't want to throw it away. plus had heard it gives the mildest of cut when used with machine with reasonable reviews.

I've not really used glazes or filling products so wanted to get my head round them. As I say SRP now then EZ creme all by machine to get a base.

Can anyone remember the write up of SRP used on a silver type R, I can't find it now as that gave good a review

IIRC everyone likes to say that all srp is good for is filling. That's not the case. After a few hits you will see it does do an element of cutting. Big thread over on DW somewhere.

Not a 320d
If you want cut then do it properly. If you want quick enhancement then use SRP. It has cut in it, but itll only get rid of marring, and you might find it cleans up the paintwork a bit, watermarks or stubborn run marks should go with this, especially on machine.

It is dusty though. i dont care what anyone says, no matter how much you use its still dusty.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
SRP is a completely different animal when applied by machine. Used with my DA with Hexlogic polishing pads at speed 1 to spread, worked around with 2 then 4 with a slow pass, back down to 2 and finish.

Pads were turning grey by the end of the day, I presume with the dirt it managed to lift. Wash stage took hours with several hits of Tardis and Iron-X before claying which still picked up plenty of rubbish leading to 2 passes with clay. used a triple layer foam applicator on tighter spots (german style applicator) and worked it quite hard and even that was discoloured.

Some great filling. tried an IPA wipe on 1 panel and it had smoothed out some swirls but not really worth mentioning. Gloss levels were greatly improved with much better flake pop. I worked it until hazing was almost clear and dusting was noted whilst machining, but wipe off was simple and not producing as much dust as when I've used it by hand. Maybe due to needing far less product and working it properly by machine.

One thing I didn't like was the way it left the pads. they clogged up very easily compared to other polishes I've used, and only using 2 or 3 small pea sized blobs dependant on panel size. it left them quite oily / creamy almost even after using a triple head brush after a couple of hits to clean the pad surface.

On the hole was hugely impressed with a product I'd forgotten about and wanted to use up so I could throw it away. Really looking forward to trying out my EZ creme and lime prime by machine now. It was also much more satisfying than trying to correct and not achieve desired results. knowing it wouldn't correct but still getting a fantastic finish was great.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Superb mate. Work lime prime like a real polish mate and you might see some decent correction.

Just work Ez creme on a finishing pad at low speeds. It has good fillings abilities on it's own mate.