ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

extracting power from f4r

Clio 172 Cup Mondial
what have you guys done ? list your mods and hp's please

i currently just got a 182 2005. with ktr/janspeed exhaust with de-cat and i have removed the acoustic valve. it feels quick as it is!
i want more horses though! I was thinking just a k-tec induction kit and remap from them to look at around 180hp...
also is it worth getting matched inlets done from k-tec will i see more like 182-184?? and are any other mods you would recomend

182 Turbo
Buy a better car if your not satisfied with how they are, all those mods you mention you would be lucky to see 175bhp.

Lionel Richie
real world figures you can subtract around 7hp from the ones you've posted, without spending thousands you won't be much above 180-183 on a good day, again being realistic

i can sugar coat it and say you'll be up at 190 but the i'd by a liar

172 Race Car
burning-money.jpg

cams, itb's etc to make any noticeable difference.

Not massive though. Didn't you have an extra 20bhp or so this year in your car? And your lap times were only a bit lower, which of course in your competitive series is a lot, but for the average joe, is not a lot at all.

Clio 172 Cup Mondial
yeah i was thinking cams doesnt look too pricey. okay anyone with the mods I listed would like to know what they say

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
If you've got a couple of grand (or more) kicking around then you'll likely see the happy side of a genuine 200 horses (unless you have an exceptionally freakishly strong standard engine). Unless you've got deep pockets I would take note of what's already been said as the minimal gains you get with 'minor' mods is pretty much negligible. I would however consider a remap as I did find a noticeable improvement in the way the car drove afterwards.

182 Cup
it amazes me that with the amount of information about how hard it is to gain more power ftom these, that people get uppity when they tell you not to waste money.

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
If you've got a couple of grand (or more) kicking around then you'll likely see the happy side of a genuine 200 horses (unless you have an exceptionally freakishly strong standard engine). Unless you've got deep pockets I would take note of what's already been said as the minimal gains you get with 'minor' mods is pretty much negligible. I would however consider a remap as I did find a noticeable improvement in the way the car drove afterwards.

This man speaketh sense! And not just because I constantly annoy him. He has felt the wrath of the tuned clio. My money would go on handling not out and out go. If you want to go fast buy something fast. If you want to enjoy a little car that's a hoot to drive, welcome aboard and take the mrs away for a naughty weekend without worrying whether that 3-4 bhp will make feck all difference. All IMHO of course.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
The RSTuner remap is much better value for money I think, especially if you know someone near you with the hardware. The bhp increase is negligible, but the map does improve drivability a bit.

I upgraded a 172 from one of those maps and a viper induction kit, to one of our maps and a KTR induction kit. 8.2bhp peak gain.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
it amazes me that with the amount of information about how hard it is to gain more power ftom these, that people get uppity when they tell you not to waste money.

Agreed, the difference is naff all unless you start actually spending well over a grand on ITBs or an RS2 or boost or at least Cams.

And even if you do, it still will not actually be a fast car, if straight lines are your thing you need boost and the easiest way to that is not a clio.

182 Cup
Agreed, the difference is naff all unless you start actually spending well over a grand on ITBs or an RS2 or boost or at least Cams.

And even if you do, it still will not actually be a fast car, if straight lines are your thing you need boost and the easiest way to that is not a clio.

The only thing I'll do to mine engine wise is maybe try 197 Cams if I have the money / theres some available when my Cambelt's changed. Other than that its just not worth it for what I use the car for

Renault Clio 182
438's make mine more lively but I would agree if your after power either go down the boost route or buy another car

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The only thing I'll do to mine engine wise is maybe try 197 Cams if I have the money / theres some available when my Cambelt's changed. Other than that its just not worth it for what I use the car for

197 cams make it rev a little more happily but its not a huge transformation, you'll notice it, but only just!
438s would make more sense if you can stretch the budget a little further.

182 Turbo
Agreed, the difference is naff all unless you start actually spending well over a grand on ITBs or an RS2

there is still naff all even if you add an RS2. But hey if OP wants to spend £1700 for 15bhp so be it, each to his own. Drive ability is the only real thing that is improved with these breathing mods.

WRX
whats more fun an extra 2bhp all the time or a trackday/night out/weekend away with the mrs etc etc
I'll take the first two options. Think my missus's engine has ceased.

real world figures you can subtract around 7hp from the ones you've posted, without spending thousands you won't be much above 180-183 on a good day, again being realistic

i can sugar coat it and say you'll be up at 190 but the i'd by a liar
From a man that could quite happily take your money and promise the earth. Yet tells it how it is.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
this. Everyone with rstuner maps never see gains but live maps people notice a better difference

I've always run RSTuner maps and always made good power on this 172 and my last, its easy to make the best of the engine with a few basic breathing mods, from my experience the following works well:

• RSTuner Map
  • 2.5" Stainless System
  • Matched Inlets
  • Decent induction setup, KTR or similar
  • Clio Ph1 Twin Cat/182 Cat Mod/Sports Cat/BTB Sports Cat/De-cat if you like noise

Made 172bhp / 152lb/ft torque on my old car.
Made 178bhp / 150lb/ft torque on my current car.

Both run on a realistic RR, no doubt I would get over 180bhp on other rollers (no names mentioned) without a problem.

I would imagine with one of Danny's maps I might make a little more bhp and if they were available when I bought my generic RSTuner map I would of went for it, however now I have my ECU mapped, its pointless changing it unless I get some cams etc. Those mods above would set you back around 1k new but imo thats probably the best you're gunna get without spending serious cash.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
this. Everyone with rstuner maps never see gains but live maps people notice a better difference

millerins is on an rs tuner map.
182bhp and 165lbft of torque at Surrey rolling road, standard unmatched inlets.

i think it's a bit silly to say they don't work, they are actually very good.

Dont get me wrong I can do better as they aren't perfect for any car but they are close enough that the reality is its not worth the extra cost to properly custom map on the standard cumbersome Ecu.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
millerins is on an rs tuner map.
182bhp and 165lbft of torque at Surrey rolling road, standard unmatched inlets.

i think it's a bit silly to say they don't work, they are actually very good.

Dont get me wrong I can do better as they aren't perfect for any car but they are close enough that the reality is its not worth the extra cost to properly custom map on the standard cumbersome Ecu.

No idea how hes torque figure is so high, no doubt lack of air-con helps, 172 cup's always make better than 172's in general anyway but 12lb-ft more than mine is alot! I should get down Surrey RR to see what it says.