ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FAO Lee... F1 Championship

dk

911 GTS Cab
So I was infact correct when I said it felt like I was racing myself due to no split times lol

That's just reminded me actually of ALOT of times when the engineer states "so and so is just behind/ahead" but there isn't actually a car to be seen, confused me quite a few times. I take it that ties in with this AI issue
i was confused once when i waited out an extra lap to pit and second place did the same, then the following lap when i pitted and came back out i was second, then first place pitted the following lap which made me first but it still said i was second as i got the first corner and it wasn't until i was half way around the lap until it then said i was first, confused the hell out of me as i knew i was first and didn't pass anyone?

RS Clio 182
I think its beginning to dawn on people today that theres something fundamentally wrong with the AI,its a major thing im afraid - today when i was racing on Melbourne,it showed Vettel was ahead of me just a few metres down the track,but when i got to him it changed to Buemi! I just couldnt understand it....the game still 'feels' great to play and im looking forward to playing some more of my career tomorrow but this whole AI thing is not good and im not sure if its going to ruin the whole game for me as i notice more & more things. The basic fundamental element of an F1 game is the AI,Qualfying and the timing system - all of which are broken. You could forgive codies for some minor bugs seeing as it their first attempt at a Formula One game,but not this,espeically considering their past pedigree in Racing games - its really disappointing. :S

dk

911 GTS Cab
i just wish i hadn't read this about it, then i could have just happily carried on thinking it was just a little buggy. The game feels awesome, so realistic (but now so fake at the same time lol ;) )

I just hope someone puts people right as says they've jumped to the wrong conclusion because of a bug which makes it seem like this is the case.

Turbo LY R27
Ive just had it where i finished 3rd but it then showed i finished 13th!!! So driving in a crap lotus in china got me nothing lol!! I was really going for it as well lol!!

Anybody else had this? I couldnt believe it!! I still like the game tho.

182 Full of Fat
Seriously wish I had never read that thread now!! So it is basically just a "hot lap" game with no actual racing involved then lol

The actual driving is still great but I can't see myself getting any satisfaction out of it any more tbh knowing the AI times are scripted and have no link to the cars you see on your screen, they've already admitted the practice and quali times are pre-determined.

Hope Lee can prove all this wrong as some sort of bug but sadly I don't think it will happen! lol

I don't think it's true. Everyone on the codemasters forum is looking for some kind of excuse to bash the game. Not sure why as it's really good.

It may be the case in qualifying but in the race, I've held people up purposely and seen their lap times suffer. I've also crashed into people so they have to pit, again their lap times are longer. How that's scripted I have no idea.

v6
i just wish i hadn't read this about it, then i could have just happily carried on thinking it was just a little buggy. The game feels awesome, so realistic (but now so fake at the same time lol ;) )

I just hope someone puts people right as says they've jumped to the wrong conclusion because of a bug which makes it seem like this is the case.

Same, I'd only done a couple of rounds and was really enjoying it, now it's just going to feel like a 12 lap time trial :( I eagerly await the quashing of this rumour!

Clio 182
I eagerly await the quashing of this rumour!

You might be waiting a while, seems to have gone very quite on the codemasters forum. The thing that really pisses me off (apart from the endless bugs) is that you cant watch other people finish the race or watch the AI in replays and based on what others have said the lack of ability to watch a replay of the race you just did following a AI driver is part of this whole fake time problem.

Dissapointing.

The AI is starting to concern me, then I come here and it's all kicked off! My bro-in-law was here all evening so played whilst we were booking a holiday...Monza, 20% race and he kept restarting until he started well (literally 30+ times), no matter what he did to influence the race, Vettel would spin in exactly the same way at the first chichane 29 times out of 30. I then booted the game up and played under the same conditions...Webber span in the same place as Vettel earlier in each of the 4 times I started.

Lack of time difference (and clearly false info from the engineer regarding time gaps) is also hurting longer races I've found. I was up Petrov's butt, he pitted, in F1 tradition I then wanted to banzai a few laps before pitting to try and jump him at the pits, but there was no info to try and attempt it.

Evo 8 Jap Crap
I don't think it's true. Everyone on the codemasters forum is looking for some kind of excuse to bash the game. Not sure why as it's really good.

It may be the case in qualifying but in the race, I've held people up purposely and seen their lap times suffer. I've also crashed into people so they have to pit, again their lap times are longer. How that's scripted I have no idea.

lol your so naive then its damn true!

What more proof do you want than this money screenshot?

f1lol.jpg

Start of second lap apparently the guys behind him did much quicker laps, well hows that possible if hes in first place flol epic fail!

Lee

BMW M2C
Cars spinning at the same place is purely coincidence. There are no setup events, the AI struggle on some corners.

Race timings are real as how could you fake the times when you can see where the cars are on track? Race lap times are not faked, they may look different to the player as the AI don't experience tyre wear or fuel weight changes in exactly the same way as the player.

The time shown during the race is the time they are doing. Unless there's a bug.

Last edited:
  Evo 8 Jap Crap
lol lee pull the other one!!

Are you on the codemasters forum theres tonnes of evidence the ai is fake and the cars arent racing!!

Look at screenshot above

how can vettel etc do a 1 minute 26 lap and still be behind the human player when hes pulled a 1 minute 30

dk

911 GTS Cab
Cars spinning at the same place is purely coincidence. There are no setup events, the AI struggle on some corners.

Race timings are real as how could you fake the times when you can see where the cars are on track? Race lap times are not faked, they may look different to the player as the AI don't experience tyre wear or fuel weight changes in exactly the same way as the player.

The time shown during the race is the time they are doing. Unless there's a bug.
So are you officially stating that the comments made in that thread are infact wrong about the ai not actually lapping with you and just appearing as a challenge when you come across them?

Evo 8 Jap Crap
hes covering codemasters arse lol

Codemasters will do an "operation flashpoint" and ignore the community and reject claims about fundamental problems with the game its been seen all before with operation flashpoint. Codemasters have always had a bad reputation this will just cement it lol

This fake ai will raise its head on a gaming site newsreal in the next few days. ign or gamespot or someone will post about it.

When racing at monaco last night i caught up and overtook senna on one lap yet when we both crossed the line it said hed done a quicker lap lol as if!

The other big bad thing is cars lap the same times as cars around them.

i.e if hamilton pits from 3rd and comes back out in 12th he will finish the rest of the race lapping similar times as those in 13th and 11th. He wont overtake them and climb the board

Some posts re: fake race ai

well... i won once and ended 4th place.. so it shows overtaking doesnt really change anything. Anyway vettel spun off in istanbul with me right behind him, about 10 or so cars passed him and he still ended a lap later right behind me
Just carried out test for racing times. Me in Mclaren on pole and followed Webber who started 2nd around for 3 lap race.

First lap times are a bit strange, as we both crossed line at the same time after lap one but Webber had a 1:42 lap and I had a 1:48???

Not sure where the 6 second loss came from, Lewis in 3rd behind me was also in the 1:42's so the game just screwed my lap time for some reason (which could explain why in a 30% race when Webber is behind you, you do a 4.5 second pitstop to come out behind him and never see him again for the whole race, either that or he didn't do the compulsory pitstop?)

So anyway, following that for the next lap the sector times displayed seemed bang on, as I was up his gearbox and it was showing tenths difference. Same for after lap two as he crossed slightly ahead of me and the times reflected this.

So strangely the first lap laptime is completely fictional!?!?!?, but then it seems the times in Race are matching the actual cars - that is if you can see them which also may affect it.

Tried several times and confirmed - My laps are 1:48's and everyone else doing 1:42's on first lap - wierd.
Racing times could be fake too, it's kind of obvious in the first lap. For example I start from pole position and stay first for the lap number 1. When I cross the line the times will pop up telling that my lap was, for example, 1:28. And the second place had 1:22

Last edited:
I am enjoying the game. As for fake ai its probably more a case of only a small selection of the field running at.one time due to console limitations. Most cars on screen in forza is 8. 24 cars on screen would break the xbox.

dk

911 GTS Cab

But is that time linked to the car we come across on track?

Are we racing the times or the cars going around the track as at the moment the two don't seem to tie in together?

It's already been confirmed that practice and qualifying times don't match the cars on track and are pre-determined, we're just hoping the same isn't the case for the race, that's all.

What's the reason for no split times showing so that we can see when we're gain on someone?

I like the comment on that thread, it's like dating and nailing a fit girl to then find out she used to be a man........ ;)

Yaris Hybrid
This isn't really anything new.

I remember a previous Codemasters game, can't remember if it was Race Driver 2 or something that had all sorts of high hopes for it and wild claims but it never delivered and had bugs.

I really enjoy F1 2010 for hot lapping and doing the little CS challenge around Singapore. Great fun with no aids. Hopefully 2011 will fix the rest but it has a good firm base to build on.

Is anyone noticing really slow loading times on the PC though?!?!?! I find it shocking compared to my other games, my PC is pretty well optimised and it seems slower loading than the 360 version. Don't have that anymore so can't do a test unfortunately. My PC is well optimised and loads all other modern games really quickly so this one sticks out like a sore thumb.

Evo 8 Jap Crap
Took the game back to hmv today and used it to preorder medal of honor

When i bought f1 they gave me a free £8 gift card and ive kept that lol

I could live with 'fake AI' as long as the car appeared in view at the right time and maintained a realistic distance from me.

The lack of interval times is really hurting the experience over a long race though. Count how many times they appear on screen or are mentioned in the race today, it's absolutely critical information. I can't actually remember a racing game that doesn't supply that information, even kids kart games let you know lap by lap how far in front or behind your nearest opponents are.

It's just an odd decision and I can't believe Ant didn't pick up on it. Why have tyre degradation if you don't have the infirmation to know whether it's possible to ease off or not? Why have dynamic weather if you have no idea whether you could stay out for the last two laps and tip toe around on slicks?

Club racers with budgets in the low thousands get pit boards, at the very least. I'm driving blind in an F1 game.

Hmmm. So it doesn't say '-2.4seconds' or '+0.3seconds' or whatever as you pass certain points?!

That really is something that should be in every single racing game. Not sure I want it anymore..

dk

911 GTS Cab
For the sake of my job I won't be posting in here again.

That's a shame as it's kind of admitting it's true, but I can understand your decision, I wouldn't risk losing my job over posting on a forum either.

It's just bitter sweet I guess, the game is very good, but a flaw is a flaw.

But as for the race times when qualifying, am I just naive in that I didn't expect those to actually happen anyway?

Just like in a football game, you don't expect the other games in a league to be actually played, just randomly generated and then you just see various pre-done replay clips if you wish to?

Hmmm. So it doesn't say '-2.4seconds' or '+0.3seconds' or whatever as you pass certain points?!

That really is something that should be in every single racing game. Not sure I want it anymore..

No, literally no information in relation to how far opponents are in front or behind (except, oddly, when you pit it tells you in ft how close they are). You get the lap times and sector times of your opponent, but unless you write that down every lap you have no idea where they are in relation to you. In a game that offers you 100% race distance it's a borderline game-breaker...such a shame as the core handling experience is pretty spectacular.

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
Revels theres also the fact cars just warp in and out of the track they are not actually there, their times are completely wrong like when someone is right behind you (like a second behind at most) for a whole lap and then you complete the lap and they have lapped 5 seconds quicker than you yet their still behind you, thats physically impossible.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Been playing it all morning. Still enjoying it just as much. The practice/quali times, I couldn't give a f**k if they are fictional. In real racing you're racing times in those situations, so there's no difference.

As far as the racing is concerned, still enjoying it, just ignoring the times. I'm just assuming the cars/AI are there, I'm racing them, it's just that the timing system is completely w**k. A small fault that I can easily live with, and it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game. Split times should have been included, I'm sure it'll be adressed next year.

I'm amazed at the over reaction frankly. It's a video game. A game. Entertainment.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Been playing it all morning. Still enjoying it just as much. The practice/quali times, I couldn't give a f**k if they are fictional. In real racing you're racing times in those situations, so there's no difference.

As far as the racing is concerned, still enjoying it, just ignoring the times. I'm just assuming the cars/AI are there, I'm racing them, it's just that the timing system is completely w**k. A small fault that I can easily live with, and it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game. Split times should have been included, I'm sure it'll be adressed next year.

I'm amazed at the over reaction frankly. It's a video game. A game. Entertainment.

I think the level of angst raised is purely down to how key such timings are to the sport. Yep, it's a computer game and nothing more. But if true, then such core functions of timings should have been there from the outset. Especially as many, many racing games have managed the same over the years.

Again, if true, it does seem such an obvious part to miss out. I'm sure Codies have a valid reason and hopefully they will address it soon.

D.

Golf R/Leon FR
Indeed ^ This game has left out some vital fundamental aspects. It was developed with an ex F1 driver and they still leave these things out? The fact that Lee is now keeping quiet in the thread suggests they are admitting they have made a big mistake.

Don't get me wrong the game is very good, I will still play it. But I would have thought twice about buying it if I knew the AI was false and it had no split times. I know these things wont be fixed in the game, but I hope they will.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Such an awesome game, but F1 is all about the timings. Working all race to pass cars, only to be bumped down the field at the final standings is terrible. I'm gutted. :(

Still love the game though, and I'm still playing it loads.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Such an awesome game, but F1 is all about the timings. Working all race to pass cars, only to be bumped down the field at the final standings is terrible. I'm gutted. :(

Still love the game though, and I'm still playing it loads.

So people are losing places after the race finishes?

FN2 Type R GT
At the end of the day, although the times are wrong (cant say i noticed apart from the engineer saying their 5 seconds in front when im sat behind them) its not crucial to the enjoyment i get, the physics are brilliant and online is good when you find a good lobby!

Sorry lee but pitstops suck, if i come in in front of my team mate he shouldnt be able to pass me by ghosting through as im a bit late on the pit limiter, and being held by the pit crew until every other fucker has bypassed !

Anyway, still loving it..