ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FIA battery kill switch.

Hey guys, currently I'm wiring in my kill switch (it is the 4 terminal one) I have chosen to wire the kill switch onto the earth cable instead of the live.
I have heard of many motorsport companies doing this so theres no chance of anything touching it from behind and causing a fire etc etc and the current in the alternator should just go to ground and not cause any damage.

So obviously i have run the cable through the kill switch onto the big 17mm and through onto the chassis of the car. I am just wondering what to do with the other 4 terminals. I understand that an ignition live will need to put through the terminals also?

Which terminals would i use? and what wires of the ignition would i need to put through the kill switch?
Im also looking at removing the ignition barrel and putting in an ignition switch and push button (key taped into decoder ring) so any ideas to help with this transition would be great. Thanks.
Pictures would be ideal.
wiring diagrams etc etc

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
It needs to have an ignition source put through the relay to kill the engine when the kill switch is operated as just cutting the power from the battery will not kill the engine.
You can either use the ignition live or in the past I have used the coil live.

It needs to have an ignition source put through the relay to kill the engine when the kill switch is operated as just cutting the power from the battery will not kill the engine.
You can either use the ignition live or in the past I have used the coil live.
So cutting the ignition wire for whatever is live in position 3 on the ignition barrel and putting that through the kill switch will do it?

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Yeah.
It's just the equivalent of turning off the engine, but done through the kill switch.

Yeah.
It's just the equivalent of turning off the engine, but done through the kill switch.

Yep thought so, do you know what colour live i should cut is? i think when i tested the live in position 2 it was yellow wire. i can't test again as i don't how any looms in currently.

Can i remove the ignition barrel all together?
What i was originally thinking is locating the ignition barrel to the centre dash, with decoder ring still on it, so the way to turn over the engine was to put key in barrel (to disable immobiliser) ignition switch, then push button start.

Or tape up the key in the decoder ring (so it disables imob) then just hide the barrel behind the dash, but still have ignition and push button.

I like the first idea as it still keeps some security, as the car wont be garaged.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
I always keep the key and barrel ignition with my cars, never bother faffing about doing a push button as if I stall it, I automatically just go for a key.
I am looking at using the Ph1 engine loom, cable throttle and ecu to do away with all the stupid uch and canbus crap.
I havnt sorted the kill switch on my Clio yet as I am behind schedule building the new car, so I don't know what colour wire does what as yet.

Right ok, no problem mate. just need to remove ignition barrel as steering column needs to be welded in where the barrel is basically.

Yeah thats currently what I've got in my 182, just haven't got round/the knowledge to do away with it yet. So basically lights/wipers controlled by relays?