ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fifth Gear Tonight, Clio 182

CLIO 197 Ultra red

on paper it is yeah. but the vtec isnt very usable apparently. i for one would find it irritating.. plus the steering is meant to be really numb etc

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Quote: Originally posted by ken182 on 15 November 2004

How else can u do 170mph for 6k, really feel what speed is like and look the bollox doing it?

Not only that but almost anyone can drive a car quick. To ride bike qiuick takes so much more and give so much back in doing so... Balls, skill, positioning your body... its so much more involved..

Bikes r so much more personal and different to cars. Non bikers wouldnt understand the pure joy of a sunny sunday and a bike. Every corner is an event on a bike.. every roundabout a godsend.. Honest, cars just dont understand... I love my clio but if i had to lose one the ZX-6R wins every time.. The clio just doesnt compare..
knowbody mentioned the price tag....it was about the performance

The idea of going fast on a bike holds too many risks,,I.E other drivers of cars

If i make a mistake on a bike i die or eat soup forever or collect mobility allowance,in a car i clip the kerb and count the cost in my pocket not my health.....Every year culling season starts for bikes around north wales...ive lost count of the number of times ive been held up by some biker who has gone of the road or into another car and died....its really sad,your just going out for the day and someones life has ended ....They are far to risky...IMHO

Plus you say its really cool but you all look like a bunch of power rangers riding around,thats not cool,you look silly....By the way 1% of traffic is bikes......7% of fatalities on british roads is bikes

ian

[Edited by ian 172 on 15 November 2004 at 9:25pm]

on paper it is yeah. but the vtec isnt very usable apparently. i for one would find it irritating.. plus the steering is meant to be really numb etc

drive one then pass comment. they are very different animals but both very capable cars just the way the power is delivered and the handling is totally different. two different and very valid/good solutions to making a hothatch IMO. and before you ask yes i have driven a ctr i do so on a regular basis so i speak from experience.

CLIO 197 Ultra red

Quote: Originally posted by ian 172 on 15 November 2004

knowbody mentioned the price tag....it was about the performance

The idea of going fast on a bike holds too many risks,,I.E other drivers of cars

If i make a mistake on a bike i die or eat soup forever or collect mobility allowance,in a car i clip the kerb and count the cost in my pocket not my health.....Every year culling season starts for bikes around north wales...ive lost count of the number of times ive been held up by some biker who has gone of the road or into another car and died....its really sad,your just going out for the day and someones life has ended ....They are far to risky...IMHO

Plus you say its really cool but you all look like a bunch of power rangers riding around,thats not cool,you look silly....By the way 1% of traffic is bikes......7% of fatalities on british roads is bikes

ian

[Edited by ian 172 on 15 November 2004 at 9:25pm]
Obviously never ridden then... Really dont understand what its about... OK bikes do carry more risk than driving a car but for me the pleasure far outweighs the risk. I love the way bikes are a lifestyle and not just a mode of transport... And it is the best way of getting around.. Try a bit of road in your car then go on the same stretch on a bike... no comparison.

and as for your 7% statistic.. at least half is due to car drivers lack of awareness... The amount of old men/women, young lasses in fiestas and white vans that just dont look around them is ridiculous. Its a fact that bikers also make better car drivers. my road awareness has improved 10fold since riding..

CLIO 197 Ultra red

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 15 November 2004

drive one then pass comment. they are very different animals but both very capable cars just the way the power is delivered and the handling is totally different. two different and very valid/good solutions to making a hothatch IMO. and before you ask yes i have driven a ctr i do so on a regular basis so i speak from experience.
I have driven one (a phase 1 ctr) and thought it was a good car yeah. Just couldnt live with the vtec. on a good twisty b road it would be a hindrence in my opinion..

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Ken182,

Where does the fact that bikers make better car drivers come from ???

If thats an opinion then fair enough but if its a fact where does that come from ? :confused:

On the bike vs car thing and ultimate performance, Driven put a race bike against a F1 car. Bike lost by a huge margin, and that was just a straight line drag. On a track my moneys on the F1 car.

On the CTR v 182, Ive also driven the 04 CTR and owned a 172, I would pick 182. OK so its technically a 182, but the 172 had much more fluid handling and more punch lower down the rev range. It was so much more chuckable in the bends and is better equipped.

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 15 November 2004Quote: Originally posted by ken182 on 15 November 2004 on paper it is yeah. but the vtec isnt very usable apparently. i for one would find it irritating.. plus the steering is meant to be really numb etc
[/QUOTE]

drive one then pass comment. they are very different animals but both very capable cars just the way the power is delivered and the handling is totally different. two different and very valid/good solutions to making a hothatch IMO. and before you ask yes i have driven a ctr i do so on a regular basis so i speak from experience. [/QUOTE]I have driven one (a phase 1 ctr) and thought it was a good car yeah. Just couldnt live with the vtec. on a good twisty b road it would be a hindrence in my opinion..

learn to use that fantastic gearbox properly then. its there to exploit the nature of the engine. if it had a 5 speed box like the clio i agree it would be toss, but it has 6 cogs with a brilliantly precise and short thow shift.

CLIO 197 Ultra red

Quote: Originally posted by Funkyjahooner on 15 November 2004

Ken182,

Where does the fact that bikers make better car drivers come from ???

If thats an opinion then fair enough but if its a fact where does that come from ? :confused:

The BMF researched it. Bikers gnerally have better awareness. Speaking from experience it is 100% true. U learn so much more about defensive driving and awareness. Everyone should do a CBT before learning to drive

the bike rider vs car driver debate i can totally understand bikers frustration with the car drivers that drive about in a daze but equally most of us will have had to put up with t**sers on bikes who each time you check your mirrors are in a different one, one side then the other then the rearview i mean give us a chance we need to concentrate on whats happenin in front too. then theres the idoits who think they are foggy and use the road like its a superbike circuit and the pushy pricks who in rushhour will cross the white line to pass the stationary traffic on their side forcing everyone on the other side of the road over towards the kerb almost taking out wing mirrors as they go rather than being patient like everyone else.

CLIO 197 Ultra red

Quote: Originally posted by JonC on 15 November 2004

On the bike vs car thing and ultimate performance, Driven put a race bike against a F1 car. Bike lost by a huge margin, and that was just a straight line drag. On a track my moneys on the F1 car.

On the CTR v 182, Ive also driven the 04 CTR and owned a 172, I would pick 182. OK so its technically a 182, but the 172 had much more fluid handling and more punch lower down the rev range. It was so much more chuckable in the bends and is better equipped.

Well seeing as an F1 car is the fastest thing on the planet just about there isnt an argument.. But i know what id rather race. Bikes r more entertaining to watch (Valentino Rossi, total underdog, winning the title anybody??!) and the riders truley are superstars.

Like i say u cant compare but my last say on the matter is 260bhp from a 998cc engine?? 210mph on two wheels? more overtaking in a single race than a full season of F1...

Bikes rule. end of story

and not to mention those riders who use other road vehicles as mobile chicanes, weaving in an out and undertakeing!

I agree bike racing is far more exciting than watching car racing these days (F1 is the ultimate bore).

Pounds for speed you cant beat a bike, that simple, where else can you do 0-60 in 2.5 and 0-100 in 6.2 seconds and top speed of 185mph for less than £10K new??? only on a bike.

However bike riders are dying at a huge rate these days, only 1% of vehicles yet a huge number die or are very badly injured.

I have lost two mates to bike accidents. :(

Back on Topic, I would expect the 182 to beat a CTR :)

Simon.

CLIO 197 Ultra red

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 15 November 2004

the bike rider vs car driver debate i can totally understand bikers frustration with the car drivers that drive about in a daze but equally most of us will have had to put up with t**sers on bikes who each time you check your mirrors are in a different one, one side then the other then the rearview i mean give us a chance we need to concentrate on whats happenin in front too. then theres the idoits who think they are foggy and use the road like its a superbike circuit and the pushy pricks who in rushhour will cross the white line to pass the stationary traffic on their side forcing everyone on the other side of the road over towards the kerb almost taking out wing mirrors as they go rather than being patient like everyone else.

Sorry but if u were on a bike u 100% would not wait in a traffic jam. fact. and as for tailgating/ hovering about your rear. I always overtake. never stay behaind a car cos i know how intimidating/ frustrating it is.. and its also much more safer to be in front..

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

998cc giving 260 bhp what a bunch of ponses

Old f1 cars used to produce 1200 bhp from a 1.5

The fastest superbike will do 0-180 in 19.6 the fastest F1 will do it in 9.4

End off

ian

CLIO 197 Ultra red

Back on topic, yeah me to. A CTR maybe on a track but on a real road the clio would p1ss it.

Boz

Arctic 182

I agree with Ken for what itss worth.

More to the point, when is the 182 -v- CTR on fifth gear then, anybody know?

CLIO 197 Ultra red

Quote: Originally posted by ian 172 on 15 November 2004

998cc giving 260 bhp what a bunch of ponses

Old f1 cars used to produce 1200 bhp from a 1.5

The fastest superbike will do 0-180 in 19.6 the fastest F1 will do it in 9.4

End off

ian

Yeah from turbocharged motors, which either blew up or ran out of fuel (Nigel Mansel pushing his car anyone?) And bike engines are limited to that power because of the credit-card sized contact patch.

Oh and superbikes are based on real road bikes.. Does mine or your clio bare any resembance to the car Jarno trulli drove? absolutely not..

GP bikes are the pinicle of biking not superbikes... The F1 if you like.

Point made

Yeah I am sure that the F1 car would have still won? but that drag race between the f1 car, SBK and Boat was a bit one sided, they should have had an GP bike there, not a SBK??

Would have put up a better fight at least....

Simon.

GT series race cars are also based on road going cars and i wouldnt say they were the pinicle of 4 wheeled motor sport. Besides on entertainment value Id rather watch WRC or Touring cars than bikes, but that just me.

CLIO 197 Ultra red

Hear Hear

Superbike is a tuned road engine... I mean u can go to cresent and buy the parts of the shelf for your road bike.. Hardly F1 standard is it?

One more point... Schumacher= robot, boring, nonce, F1 killing, dull.... Rossi= entertaining, crowd pleasing, sport promoting sheer talent..

Cant compare the two sports.. different leagues... one is actually worth watching!

CLIO 197 Ultra red

Well WRC is class.. Those guys really have bottle and pure skill (just like bikers tee hee!!) and it is entertaining...

Circuit racing really is crap though has to be said.

Punto/Clio GTT

Quote: Originally posted by shmall on 15 November 2004

Really?? I find car racing really boring these days.

Simon.

You should have watched the WRC :) this seasons over now though. Australia rally was pretty good

FM

Here some fact for you,

GP bike

145kgs and 250bhp = 1724bhp per tonne

F1 car

600kgs and 900bhp = 1500bhp per tonne.

although the rider does make a difference...lol ;)

Simon.

CLIO 197 Ultra red

Thats what makes it so much more demanding.. The riders position is everything. what sets the greats apart. shifting weight around the bike. Amazing people. Deserve every penny the earn. Absolute superstars.

1. You cant compare bikes and cars.

2. Schumacher is very talented hence the record braking career.

3. Like was said, cant compare the 2 sports, personally i find racing cars more interesting, both F1 and WRC

CLIO 197 Ultra red

Your right. Totally in-comparable... Still a good discussion though.

But F1 sucks man! Shumacher has ruined it. The last great season was Villeneuve in 1997.

Its dead now. Cant see it coming back now..

You cant blame Schumacher, hes just a talented brilliant driver. You cant expect him to drive at 50% of his potential just so someone else can win. Hes paid to win races, what do you expect?

CLIO 197 Ultra red

at least rossi makes it intresting. could have stayed wit HRC but didnt... and he beat gibenau on the 2nd to last corner.. only had to finish 3rd to take the title..

thats entertainment

your right is a very interesting discussion and always nice to see others opinions. i have watched some bike racing found that also very interesting how they manage to be so close to the floor at such speeds and not lay the bike i dont no, also ive been watching when the back wheel is sliding every now and then because their pushing the bike to the limit just before it slides, impressive stuff

CLIO 197 Ultra red

U gotta see a live race. Its unbelievable..The noice and impression of speed is wickid.. The only 4 wheel stuff that comes close is WRC.

Horses for courses though

at least rossi makes it intresting. could have stayed wit HRC but didnt... and he beat gibenau on the 2nd to last corner.. only had to finish 3rd to take the title..

thats entertainment

Agree, would have been nice if MS had left Ferrari and gone to a lesser team as Rossi did, would have made a better season (imho) and proved if MS was good or whether it was just Ferraris awesome car....???

Bike racing is almost always Wheel to Wheel racing with masses over overtaking in a race, F1 viewers get excited if they get someone overtake every other race...lol;)

Simon.

Ive not really watch any bike racing, but I stand by WRC. How those guys can throw their cars down a twisty loose gravel track barely wide enought for 2 cars at 100mph without hitting a tree/rock/spectators/ditch (in most cases!) is beyond me. Theiir car control is awe inspiring.

Street Triple R

thats entertainment

Agree, would have been nice if MS had left Ferrari and gone to a lesser team as Rossi did, would have made a better season (imho) and proved if MS was good or whether it was just Ferraris awesome car....???

Bike racing is almost always Wheel to Wheel racing with masses over overtaking in a race, F1 viewers get excited if they get someone overtake every other race...lol;)

Simon.
Dont forget, Schumacher did that back in 96

I love bike racing too though, when i got my Bike licence it made me see just how talented good bike riders really are

Yeah they are very skill full....But I still find it boring because they only race against the clock, I like Wheel to Wheel track stuff myself....but each to there own..

Simon.

Quote: Originally posted by jongsr4 on 15 November 2004

thats entertainment

Simon.
Dont forget, Schumacher did that back in 96

I love bike racing too though, when i got my Bike licence it made me see just how talented good bike riders really are

Yes and 96 and 97 where good seasons, maybe he should have done it again in 98... ;)

Simon.