ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Finally an answer to handling woes :-)

Clio 172 mk2
Well after months of pulling my hair out with knocking, crabbing, juddering, vibrations and very vague steering that seemed to have a mind of its own, I finally found the issue (just before selling!). Basically its been through an MOT and to 2 reputable garages, which all didn't find an issue with it. My local renault garage said it was simply a 'common thing with these' and thats why 'they would never have one'

Anyway, if you have similar issues then go and check your rear most lower arm bush on both sides. Undo the nut and partially remove the bolt and see if your subframe hole has elongated like mine had! By the fact that my clio (2002 172 FF) has only done 38k, I'm guessing there will be others with this issue too. I have sleeved it as a temporary measure but will refabricate when I get time.

Just a heads up. Hope it helps somebody that has had or is experiencing the same probs as I have had!!!

Cheers, Rob

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Was this the same as that thread not so long ago about the wishbone bolt?

Also no such thing as a 172FF.

rps13
yeah the guy from australia. He gave up because no-one seemed interested, but was trying to make ground with Renault UK about it happening on the cars.

IIRC nearly every single RS clio checked had this issue.

What was the most noticable handling issue mate? unruley if you hit a bump mid corner?

Clio 172 mk2
Yeah that and the fact that the steering appears to wander all over the place under any driving conditions. No need to make a guide really its easy enough to explain tbh. If someone else fancies doing it feel free. What does he mean about no such thing as FF? sorry I'm not a regular :)

Im suprised that no-one listened to the guy from oz....its seems he was spot on.

Clio 182FF
Maybe explain how to check it a bit better for the less technically minded hehe. 'Check your rear most lower arm bush on both sides.'... I have no idea what that means :D

Clio 172 mk2
Ahh sorry matey! Well I've got to do a permanent fix yet anyway so when I get round to it ill dust the camera off then ;)

Clio 182FF
Cheers mate :)

I'm ok if I have pictures, I can normally get my head around things then. My Clio has a bit of a twitch sometimes so would like to check this if it's curing your problem!