ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First a judder then stall and now won't keep running (awful noise)

Clio 172
So as above, over the past few days she's struggled to start and there's been a chirping noise coming from the belt area. (Also the dephaser has been making a little noise when warm but not recently)

so today I finish work and fire her up, no issue.

I drive ive home and half way there (3 miles) I noticed the car had started to judder so dropped it down a gear and the same. I was then forced to stop at some traffic lights and when I came to a stop the car stalled and failed to start.

I pushed her over onto the pavement and left it to cool for 5 mins popped the bonnet and had a look at the belt area (not that I know what I'm looking for) but all seem intact

so I attempted to start again with no joy applied a little revs and it fired up with a bit of a squeak / rattle whilst my foot was partially on the accelerator it stayed running but made quite a rattle, at this point I called my house mate for a tow home.

any ideas what to look at first ?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Apologies but as i dont know the car lets start simples... Has anything work wise, specifically belt related been done recently?

Clio 172
No, no belt work has been done! the only mechanical work that has been done in the past 6 months has been service related

oil / filter plugs leads coil pack

Clio 172
It turns over but won't start unless I apply some revs, sounds ok whilst revs are on but once released stalls

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Cleaned the TB? Had it on Diags?

Sounds like either a Lambda or CTS issue

Clio 172
I've got a new cts but not fitted yet and cleaned the throttle bodie recently but will have another look and fit the cts shortly and try again

Clio 172
Throttle body is clean and new cts fitted and still the same.

do I need to disconnect the battery to allow the ecu to recognise the change??

also I have found that there is only two wires coming of the cts plug and what seems to be a third green wire that has only 1mm coming from the plug end and no further wire can be seen?? Is this normal and just not used on this engine or am I missing something??

Clio 172
51AE5C17-D55C-4AB0-ACB7-F40F1F83C4C3_zpsekxo0eqr.jpg

Pic of cts plug, is this normal or possibly my issue??

Passat 170 DSG Wagon
I believe that they normally have only two IIRC. Remember thinking similar when i changed mine years ago.

Clio 172
So it turns out the cambelt has slipped (no head damage tho) so thanks to mick she's getting the treatment.

new cambelt, dephaser, aux belt, and water pump whilst he's at it.

I can't wait to get rid of this vectra and be back in the Clio Monday/Tuesday.